Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: TGWpE - The Next Installment

TGWpE - The Next Installment

Alright, it's getting close. First off, I'll start with the dates:

Melbourne Motorshow - Friday, 29 February - Monday, 10 March.
    Phillip Island Classic - Friday, 7 March - Sunday, 9 March.

I conclude that the best time would thus be Friday thru Sunday 7-9 March.

Prices are $10 - friday, $20 - saturday and $30 for sunday at Phillip Island, or a weekend pass for $40. This includes the usual - full pit and in-field access and all the usual outside track access. The track opens at 7am on these days.
    Prices for the motor show are $18 for Adult and $14 for Concession. This is from 10am - 10pm for the above days.

Featured at Phillip Island this year will once more be a piece of Porsche history, the 'world's most powerful sports car' - the Porsche 917/30 Spyder boasting 1580hp. 0-100km/h in 1.9 seconds!!!
    550 cars are on the entry list, with waiting lists for some classes, once again the largest ever race meeting in the southern hemisphere.

The 2008 Melbourne International Motorshow boasts 41 exhibitors, including the new Bolwell Nagari which will break cover for the first time ever.

Accommodation is still a bit of a blind spot at the moment. If I have my own place in time there will be space for at least a few, but there's no guarantee of that yet. The big house might not be available, but there's also no guarantee that it won't, so I can't rule it out yet.

The dealers that I know of being open are Ferrari/Maserati, Lamborghini, Duttons (variety of rarities, including currently the McLaren F1). I am not aware of Porsche's availability, and Maranello Motorsports has packed up shop and moved everything to a private hangar - no real access there. Brooklands will once again be closed, but both Paul and Cameron Sabine will be entering their own Corvettes at the Phillip Island classic again, so we will see them there.

Discuss!

i've already booked my flights..
    i'll be staying at my grandparents house as it's closer and this creates less hassle accomodation wise for you, although i said that last time too would like to see the mac f1, will have to figure out some form of transport lol.
    parents are coming again too, but driving down in the GT3.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    i've already booked my flights..
    i'll be staying at my grandparents house as it's closer and this creates less hassle accomodation wise for you, although i said that last time too would like to see the mac f1, will have to figure out some form of transport lol.
    parents are coming again too, but driving down in the GT3.
    And... why aren't you following in your spruced up beetle? I could get my dad's down as well, have a 3 generation 911 meeting.
    I'm hopefully meeting up with the Mac owner tomorrow, I will see what his plans for around that time are, there's a chance it'll still be at Duttons too. Fingers crossed it'll be visible somewhere along the weekend.

i'd like to, but i'll more likely than not be larking about/dying in the TVR once i get down
    besides, i don't have that much time off, fuel bill will > airfare, it's a bit loud at speed and driving through the gauntlet of victoria's speed camera's with their low tolerances is not ideal as yet.
    for PI itself i recall the most cars were present on the sunday last time?
    Last edited by clutch-monkey; 01-21-2008 at 12:02 AM.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I'm guessing AM/RR hasn't moved, so should be on the list too.

Will book the time off work tomorrow.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Thanks for the dates - I can go into work and sort out my time off then.

the good news? It should be easy to get off.

There with bells on.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

OK - I'm planning to be there. Not sure how many other Sydney guys are going yet, but I'll be driving my car down. Assuming that we're not planning on fitting five people in it this year. It that happens, I'll ring Hertz and turn up in a Tarago.
    Ideally, us Sydney guys should meet the Canberra guys around midday Thursday (can you guys get the whole day off this year?) and this would give time for a more interesting route to Melbourne. Someone mentioned 150 kms of fun, twisty roads near Albury? Could be an interesting diversion. Or via Snowys.

Who else from Sydney/Canberra plans to take cars? Cyco and I have suggested finding out at some stage if a modified early 90s Saab 900 Turbo or a '03 Fairmont is faster in the 60-120 overtaking sprint that has been discussed in various threads recently. Maybe Blue can show just how close a mid 90s Fairlane V8 on LPG can get to the newer Fairmont? Or should we find a Camry for the Fairlane to race?

Otherwise, when cruising on the Hume, I intend to keep my Captain Slow tag intact. And if we do have time to take in a more interesting road, I suspect that Cyco will have time to have a long snooze at the end of it while waiting for me - even if we swapped cars! But then I may have a desire to live a little longer than Cyco.

I'm assuming that we'll be going to Phillip Island on the Friday again? This year, however, I'm keen to go on the Sunday as well, and drive back to Sydney on either the Monday or Tuesday.

As for accommodation - perhaps we should look into booking an apartment/hotel room somewhere and have that ready for whoever wants to crash there. Clutch, know of anything suitable near Phillip Island? Or is Melbourne itself preferable?
    Last edited by motorsportnerd; 01-21-2008 at 06:00 AM.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Clutch, How much were your tickets to melbourne?
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd View Post
    But then I may have a desire to live a little longer than Cyco.
    i figure our fatality rate can only improve
    Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd View Post
    As for accommodation - perhaps we should look into booking an apartment/hotel room somewhere and have that ready for whoever wants to crash there. Clutch, know of anything suitable near Phillip Island? Or is Melbourne itself preferable?
    no idea, and i don't have the money even if i did know that's why i'll sponge off my grandparents.
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    Clutch, How much were your tickets to melbourne?
    idk, like $300 each way or all up or something
    more expensive than the tickets you were supposed to book to come up here

My Sister Said Flights to Melbourne were like.....$70 from Canberra.

With prices like that, I can has pickup from airport?

drive down pussy, it's only a few hours

"Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    drive down pussy, it's only a few hours
    Sorry? Pot? Your call to Kettle could not be connected. please try again later.

6 hours doesn't even get me to sydney.
    you've no excuse, apart from being a giant lactating vagina.

I'll be driving where ever as long as I'm not incapacitated at the time..
    Minus Berlina with VP this year.. Don't wanna talk about it to much it hurts like hell.
    Next year for it. Which is good come next year it will be close to 200kw.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Thread Information