• Dodge V10

1 1.37%
  • Ferrari V12

10 13.70%
  • Mazda rotary

12 16.44%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who does it best?

eh, i can't pick the BMW I6 because other companies do I6 as well, and usually attached to mor einteresting vehicles.
    i'd like to go for the subaru and porsche for keeping Flat 4/6 engines, but i have to agree with the others and say rotary
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Easy, pick. No one can do a rotary like Mazda. My second pick would be Porsche's flat six.

Last place - Dodge's V10. Sorry, I just think there are better V10s out there, first one that comes to mind is from Porsche.

Not may people here would no this one but the Ford Australia I6 or 190 Barra(190kw), probably the most refined engine for its class in Australia (not just Australian cars), especially with the 245KW and 270KW turbo varients, as well as the ability to easily get 700+hp.
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

Chevy V8. I love how everyone always jocks BMW's nuts.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

The Subaru boxer is pretty impressive but so are the Ferrari V8s and 12s. The fact that those could be racing engines and have not a lot of displacement and a lot of power is an engineering marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver View Post
    The Subaru boxer is pretty impressive but so are the Ferrari V8s and 12s. The fact that those could be racing engines and have not a lot of displacement and a lot of power is an engineering marvel.
    The Ferrari V8 is a fantastic sports car engine (one of the best), but is really one-dimensional. I'm still not sure about the 5.9 of the 599, but the 5.75 of the 612 is absolutely wonderful - so smooth and fantastically powerful. The 5.75 is a true gem.

Quote Originally Posted by acfsambo View Post
    Not may people here would no this one but the Ford Australia I6 or 190 Barra(190kw), probably the most refined engine for its class in Australia (not just Australian cars), especially with the 245KW and 270KW turbo varients, as well as the ability to easily get 700+hp.
    "Our" I6 is average in comparison to BMW's I6 and even Jaguars dead I6. Jag's is a better comparison as they actually made one of similar capacity, and pretty much trumped the Ford engine.
    Last edited by fpv_gtho; 02-06-2008 at 10:46 PM.
    I am the Stig

I like the BMW six. Smooth, powerful, high tech, frugal and it sounds good. What's not to like about it?

The Ferrari V12 also isn't bad at all.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo.Jenkens View Post
    Easy, pick. No one can do a rotary like Mazda.
    actually, nobody else DOES a rotary but Mazda

Anyway, just to go against the mainstream, where is the AMG 6.3 engine? Where are some of the engines, and there are a few options, that benefit from the absence of spark plugs?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    I picked the BMW inline-6 for many reasons. First, BMW has amazing things with that engine using both petrol and diesel, something I don't think any of these other companies can claim. Second, they've managed to make basically the same engine feel right in everything from a big luxury SUV (X5) to a sports car (Z4); not to mention what M was able to do with it my boring it out in the M3/M Coupe/M Roadster. Finally, I just love an in-line 6 and by turbo charging it BMW has given a real alternative to the V8.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I like the BMW six. Smooth, powerful, high tech, frugal and it sounds good. What's not to like about it?
    I agree and choose this engine (R6) because it has such a fantastic development story. without ferrari like budget there is great technology in fuel saving, magnesium crankcase, valvetronic (i have been reading up on pumping loss recently) and now direct injection and LPTs...one complete lesson for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo.Jenkens View Post
    Easy, pick. No one can do a rotary like Mazda. My second pick would be Porsche's flat six.
    good point but as per below, no one is stuborn to pursue the difficult emmision and wear issues.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post

Anyway, just to go against the mainstream, where is the AMG 6.3 engine? Where are some of the engines, and there are a few options, that benefit from the absence of spark plugs?
    you mean hcci?...or diesels...this is symtomatic Henk4 that diesels dont insight the image of fun driving in peoples heads..its not objective its subjective
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post

I agree and choose this engine (R6) because it has such a fantastic development story. without ferrari like budget there is great technology in fuel saving, magnesium crankcase, valvetronic (i have been reading up on pumping loss recently) and now direct injection and LPTs...one complete lesson for me.
    I would not be surprised if BMW's engine development would far exceed that of Ferrari
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I went for the Porsche Flat 6. Why? Not sure, but I'm sure many can back me up on this. [Insert reasons for balance, power, efficiency, etc]

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    I went for the Porsche Flat 6. Why? Not sure, but I'm sure many can back me up on this. [Insert reasons for balance, power, efficiency, etc]
    i do think it's a better/more interesting choice than the BMW I6...
    i'm marginally biased though
    i still think rotary wins. although honda is f'ing good at I4's
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

My dad has the pleasure of owning a 1985 Mazda RX7 and indeed I have had many rides in it. It is absolutely awesome. However it's clutch is stuffed (getting tuned as we speak) and it might have an extra 20 horsepower by the end of it.

So Mazda Rotary as well.
    Signature removed, no spam allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post

Well since the fuel isn't specified, some of the options can include both petrol and diesel engines.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information