Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Racing as a Sport? Please justify this for me.

Karting is hardcore - I can only imagine what a 70 lap F1 race must be like. Horrific i think.

Lewis Hamilton was recently described by the McLaren trainer as being "as fit or fitter than any Olympian" - and the McLaren trainer used to be an Olympic trainer.

You can blame Senna for that, he raised the game in terms of fitness.

Aside from the physical exertion required to pilot an F1 car (never mid survive a race) the fitter you are, the longer you'll be able to perform at your mental peak. Therefore, the fitter you are, the better competition driver you will be.
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

Quote Originally Posted by MrKipling View Post
    Karting is hardcore - I can only imagine what a 70 lap F1 race must be like. Horrific i think.

Lewis Hamilton was recently described by the McLaren trainer as being "as fit or fitter than any Olympian" - and the McLaren trainer used to be an Olympic trainer.

You can blame Senna for that, he raised the game in terms of fitness.

Aside from the physical exertion required to pilot an F1 car (never mid survive a race) the fitter you are, the longer you'll be able to perform at your mental peak. Therefore, the fitter you are, the better competition driver you will be.
    greatly off topic, but: Welcome back....

Off topic? Really?

Cheers for the w/b though.

Off topic? Really?

Cheers for the w/b though.
    not your post really, but the welcome was

Pre-dated Senna for the best drivers

eg BBC "Superstars" show pitted top athletes from different sports against each other in strength, endurance, fitness tests ... hers'a couple of F1'ers ..... We didnt' see many after that due to the dearth of decent British drivers and of course now they earn too much money to want to bother doing a TV show

1973:
    1 David Hemery - athletics
    2 Barry John - rugby union
    3 Joe Bugner - boxing
    3 Jackie Stewart - Formula One
    5 Roger Taylor - tennis
    6 Bobby Moore - football
    7 Tony Jacklin - golf

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1976:
    1 David Hemery - athletics
    2 John Conteh - boxing
    3 James Hunt - Formula One
    4 Gareth Edwards - rugby union
    5 David Duckham - rugby union
    6 David Starbrook - judo
    7 Jonah Barrington - squash
    8 Malcom MacDonald - football
    8 JPR Williams - rugby union
    10 Stan Bowles - football

and a later "WOrld Superstars" had South African F-1 racer Jody Scheckter win in 1981

actual evidence on the athletisism of drivers ... adn agree it HAS become even more important
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Mr. Kipling brought up a good point, as if you are fit to endure the strain in driving a car for prolong period, you are less likely to be distracted due to your physical unwell-ness(if thats a word...lol). If you start to feel fatigue or pain and such you'll start thinking about those instead of actually driving and performing at your best...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    actual evidence on the athletisism of drivers ... adn agree it HAS become even more important
    I wonder how much that had to do with being naturally fit through driving the cars...

Or did these guys 'train' as well?

I wonder how much that had to do with being naturally fit through driving the cars...

Or did these guys 'train' as well?
    Jackie was an international clay pigeon shot. He was fit and did do "owrk outs" as much as they were in the 70s

James Hunt shagged everything that was breathing and possibly even some not. Smoked, drank copious amounts and "drugs" .. but mainly women. So I'm guessing sex really does make you fit
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I've just thought of something else too: the fitter you are and better your strength and flexibility (ie through training) the less likely you are to be injured in a crash.

I've just thought of something else too: the fitter you are and better your strength and flexibility (ie through training) the less likely you are to be injured in a crash.
    but u should be avoiding that at all costs to begin with lol
    Known originally as lithuanianmafia

Would it be possible, to play forever?
    The conclusion reached was that a player is inevitably doomed to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    By making this post, I suppose 20 will respond debating my points alone. Remember, I didn't bring up the GTR, ZR-1/ZO6, or the Revetec engine.
    Or old cars or a comparative american v8 that isnt a ls1.
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

Quote Originally Posted by lith8872 View Post
    and yes, racing does involve large sums of money. but then again, doesn't just about any sport? hockey equipment can cost, brand new, about a $1000 easilly for low end equipment, plus the cost of having to replace $100-150 sticks at least once or twice per game. this is money that a lot of kids don't have that want to start playing hockey, me being one of them when i was a youngster.
    I have trained in kickboxing for the past year, The journey to my first kickboxing bout to be held this year has taken.

$17.50 A week at odd bods (local Gym) 910
    $60 a month Bulldog gym membership (also an extra 30 a month to train with the boxers to improve head movement,hands and ringcraft but its an extra not a neccesity and only recent) 720
    $45 bulldog gym canberra thai shorts
    $25 redbull thai shorts
    $30 3 pairs of wrist wraps
    $15 anklets
    $15 cup
    $80 punch head gear
    $80 punch 16oz gloves (leather)
    $100 soiled, used by myself on a class trianing day to get qualifications for my personal training buisness in boxercise (legal requirement) 8oz vynil punch gloves,rag filled bodysheild and focus mitts
    $50 thai pads again same as above reason only a kickboxing course this time
    $30 mouth guard
    $80 blood test and a physical (valid for 2 years)
    $25 elastic shin guards (I hate the movement in the velcro ones)
    $20 1 week membership at pheonix gym due to relocation for a week (and 2 BJJ classes that where pretty cool)

2225 so far and theres bits left out

And then theres things I get for free that people have to pay for like free membership at 2 other gyms (not as well stocked and further away and the other is work),massage, flexability, aromatherapy (amy much thanks) sauna, pool ,spa(work) ect ect.

Then there unmentionables as feeding myself costs alot (I eat alot and on training days I can eat 8 meals and still be hungry), Getting to and from trianing, protein powders, suppliments (which ive stopped because of lack of funds incidently) and most of all time I could be activly seeking more buisness for my own pt buisness which at $50-70 an hour is very lucrative.

That in itself could of gone to some grass roots motorsport.
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

Why do you have memberships at two different gyms? Seems a tad excessive. You could surely cut down your outgoings a lot by just picking the best gym and sticking with it...
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
    Why do you have memberships at two different gyms? Seems a tad excessive. You could surely cut down your outgoings a lot by just picking the best gym and sticking with it...
    One a martial arts gym (bulldog gym canberra/queanbeyan) arts Gym With hand me down weights and equipment from underground gym (the boxers I mentioned before they lost their building in erindale and shacked up with us), Also the place has no no cardio equipment past skipping ropes and my own 2 feet.

And ones a traditional Gym (odd bods) that has a full compliment of weights and cardio equipment but has a "boxing room" with 2 beaten up and soft (rag filled no sand) genereic punching bags and 2 almost deflated speedballs and long forgotten pads and mitts that are about ready to disintergrate that where thrown into the room more for decoration then anything else.

But the credentials speak highly of the place We are the only gym in the ACT to have a person fight at k-1 level (ben edwards 1/3/0 in k-1) that I am aware of we also currently have 2 amature titels with hopes of extending this to 5 next promotion (we have had much more but had several early retirements and ben at one stage had 3). Ben will soon be going for a world titel went to serbia to get it too but the fighter pulled out and put some 6'8 140ish kilo guy in his place who ben ko'ed 2nd round now hes comming to australia for a reschedule because of the many issues that came from being in serbia (similar to the movie Hostel i was told) which is great because ill get to see it.

And I cant forget Garys boys the boxers from underground where we are graced by a 1 time (hopefully soon to be 2x) olympiad and a commonwealth games medalist too so we arent stressed for skill

Odd bods has several athletes of various skills too (stair running, marathon, rugby to even power lifting and bodybuilding among many others) And I have found that their advise and skills have grown my own base and they all have relevant info that can be used in alot of sports. They also offer good rental fees to outside trianers who are members charging practically nothing depending on how much I make from my clients.

I consider the places to like a ying-yang setup they compliment eachother they have what the other lacks long winded I know but its a subject Im passionate about I only wish space and money would allow the bulldog gym to have a better weights setup and even a peice or 2 of cardio equipment
    Last edited by Falcon500; 02-26-2008 at 07:34 AM.

Thread Information