Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Racing as a Sport? Please justify this for me.

I can play the picture game as well:

How I interpret how this thread has gone so far.

1) What asks a question - Are Race drivers considered athletes?
    2) comes across resistance to his own opinion on the issue - is given evidence that said drivers require as much physical and mental toughness as any athlete.
    3) Posts Images of a Drag racer - who's entire job is to sit there, keep his arms straight and hang on for dear life. Against a Steroid Addled basketballer. to prove a completely unrelated point - No one was arguing Drag racers weren't athletes

Bluntly, if you don't like the fact people disagree with your opinion, don't prejudge the outcome of said events. the average formula 1 driver (come to think of it nearly every professional driver) endures hundreds of hours of endurance and strength training. coupled to reaction testing (often to exhaustion), car testing and G forces when they are racing.

Couple this to the fact they have to navigate the nasty world of actually getting a drive in the first place, maintaining their position in a Team via good results, and keeping up with an ever-growing line of people willing to take there place, and it's no wonder they work hard to maintain and improve upon themselves.

Sounds like what every other professional athlete has to do, no? navigate seedy people looking to take advantage of their hard work and talent, maintain rank or position on a team or tour, and win events?

Pretty much the definition of Athlete to me.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Welcome back -What-

Some facts woudl help suport your POV.

Racing drivers are some of THE fittest people on the planet.
    A while back ( before the modern REALLY fit era ) there was a competition here in the UK which pitted sportsmen and women from various sports to physical and skill challenges. Always in the top were drivers.

Don't underestimate the physical EFFORT involved in driving a race or rally car on real circuits. ( Granted there are some "sports" where that's less true -- ie stock car racing )
    On top of that the physical SKILL necessary is vastly superior to say a football player or baseball or golf !

I suspect you're only seeing the upper tier of the sport in your comparisons. There are many MANY more 10-18 year olds dedicating their time to racing in karts than are playing golf and practising regularly. Then there are the many club race and rally events and sprints, hillclimbs, karting, autotesting etc etc etc. These are the base of the pyramid that the F1 bods sit atop

Lewis Hamilton did not come fomr a rich or privelaged background Neither did Jim Clark, Jackie Stewart, Jimmy McRae, Colin McRae, David Coulthard ... in fact the only "priveladged" Scots driver I can recall is Jonny Dumfries who is an Earl -- skint but had the title

Perhpas -What- you're seeing all of it from a US-centric background.
    Have to admit EVERY driver I've seen from the US formulae has been rather "portly".
    Over here they're all skinny, ultra fit runts
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx View Post
    I can play the picture game as well:
    Those are not professional football players, and they especially aren't at the top of their sport.

Quote Originally Posted by -What- View Post

It is difficult for me to consider race car drivers athletes when the majority of the work is performed by the vehicle.
    As I said in the deleted thread, they exert themselves as much as others. They are subject to the same heat, cold, and are in the same physical shape of athletes.

Anyway, I'd love to see you win the F1 World Championship. Look at Richard Hammond for example. He claimed that the duty was "easy". Yet he couldn't even get the car rolling without stalling several times.

Don't give me that "I'll do it with experience" bullshit. No duh, it takes years and years of moving up series and series at a time, from Karts to Formula 3.

If you're so damn good, I'd also like to see you win a WRC race.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Men usually dominate in sports because they are stronger and more capable of extreme physical activity. However, Women are equal in sports that are mostly technique and strategy.
    "Don't have phone sex, you could get hearing AIDS"

Those are not professional football players, and they especially aren't at the top of their sport.
    I dislike American Football, so I couldn't really look for a proper example since I don't know any names... Still proves my point, there are some really fat American Football / Baseball players out there who are considered "Athletes".

[B]
    Ashley Force...SUCKS. But she still manages to win sometimes. You think she would be a PROFESSIONAL if her dad wasn't JOHN FORCE? You tellin' me that this girl has the athletic ability to compete with MEN? What type of "professional male athlete" loses to a GIRL in his respective sport?

My sister can beat me in UNO every now-and-then...but she'd NEVER beat me in a 100m foot race. NEVER.

Oh now you're being sexist? You're truly brilliant at trying to prove your points.

Now pick the athlete, I only see one. Seriously.
    Kind of supported my earlier point
    Well, I'm considered "too old" now. It's too late for me to race
    Not at all.
    Fine if you don't start racing when you're 12 you'll unlikely make it in the modern Formula One circus. BUT there are many who race and rally into their 70s SOme who didnt' start on 4 wheels till in their 50s !!
    Local winner of last years Scottish historic FF1600 is in his late 50s and only started racing in open wheelers LAST SEASON after 3 years in a historic saloon.
    You shoudl get down to local car club and see what events you coudl join in on and find out how hard it is to actually provide the mental and physical effort to drive fast for even just 30 minutes
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by thefreedictionary.com
    ATHLETE:A person possessing the natural or acquired traits, such as strength, agility, and endurance, that are necessary for physical exercise or sports, especially those performed in competitive contexts.
    Kindly explain how that is not related to someone who races competitively, using their acquired agility, strength and endurance?

you call these guys not athletes too?
    Sports: A huge problem

Again, more time wasted on this thread is more time that you could've used to do "Pick-Up-Karting".....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

HELL YES

I don't know ANY rags-to-riches race car stories of modern day.
    Micheal Schumacher? He worked at a VW dealer for a while and drove a ratty Mini. His family wasn't rich by any means either.

Doesn't it suck to see your examples get torn apart and thrown back in your face?
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    Micheal Schumacher? He worked at a VW dealer for a while and drove a ratty Mini. His family wasn't rich by any means either.

Doesn't it suck to see your examples get torn apart and thrown back in your face?
    I believe his first car was actually a Fiat 500....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post

Michael Schumacher was only able to race because he was supported by several local businessmen.

Michael Schumacher was only able to race because he was supported by several local businessmen.
    How is that any different to a Poor Football player getting a scholarship?

an outside influence recognising talent.

Thread Information