Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Racing as a Sport? Please justify this for me.

'QUail, put him in your block list, it's easier and saves you losing out on all the other UCP-fun.

-What-'s style IS questionable, but some of the info posted is of mild interest in his comments and responses. eg I now know definatley don't class drag racers as sportsmen ... pretty much the same with footballers like Perry - the "Fridge" - who was nothing more than an immovable mass

Until he's abusive, I think his posts are OK.
    But don't worry, abuse will be dealt with strongly as he has now been warned and had an infraction and ban to make sure it was listened to.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

geez guy's,i see a lot people getting all hot under the coller over this,and frankly -what-
    has baited all of you.
    if the guy want's to stir up a hornet's nest (and he obviously does)then agree to disagree
    there's no point argueing with someone who's point of veiw is fixed because of his own ego,next time he starts a thread ignore it.
    vetec it's the automotive equivilent of schizaphrenia
    single handly keeping stanley headlight's in business
    founding member of the over 2lt asault team

Ballast is the hammer, his point is the nail.

He's definately goading a lot of you. Take him for what he is and not so seriously.

He was banned for His abusive behaviour and it was hoped it would cause an Attitudinal Adjustment to curb his arrogance. We'll monitor his reactions very closely.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post

He was banned for His abusive behaviour
    capital H????

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Why not ?
    -What- raise a questino based on lack of knowledge and so far we're seeing quite a few comments that -What- was unaware of and may influence his point of view.

re the car versus the man then if we look back we can find many examples of race drivers in "ordinary" cars driving faster than even performance cars. Jackie Stewart did it in a Capri ... more recently looking up Sabine's lap at the 'ring in a TRANSIT VAN as shown on Top Gear will educate on the difference a driver actually makes.
    I understand that, but from knowing what through his posts and general demeanor, he'll just nitpick at the definition of athlete and sport. True, debates often go this way for ages but I doubt what is leaving his mind open towards convincing in the opposite direction.

If you think about it, I think a lot of you have this problem. The lengths of some of UCP's debates are simply just absurd, and nothing ever gets resolved. It's not as if your points being made are faulty or if the question at hand is one-sided but rather the ego of the participants involved. Any debates I partake in tend to be short because I have no problem with admitting a fault in my argument or knowledge. Some people just feel like they CAN'T BE WRONG.

By making this post, I suppose 20 will respond debating my points alone. Remember, I didn't bring up the GTR, ZR-1/ZO6, or the Revetec engine.

Quote Originally Posted by ballast View Post
    geez guy's,i see a lot people getting all hot under the coller over this,and frankly -what-
    has baited all of you.
    if the guy want's to stir up a hornet's nest (and he obviously does)then agree to disagree
    there's no point argueing with someone who's point of veiw is fixed because of his own ego,next time he starts a thread ignore it.
    Meh, who cares, it's fun for some of us.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by acfsambo View Post
    A few things -WHAT-. Firstly, have you ever been driving for a long time and got tired? There is no doubt u have.
    Yup long highway driving is the worst but caffeine is the answer! Lemans endurance racing would be worse in this respect (keep from falling asleep).

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    Meh, who cares, it's fun for some of us.
    like the police academy movies?

Athletes work all the year working at what they do. Race drivers train with weights and have to keep themselves in good health and do off-season testing and other obligations to their team and sponsers and league.

That is why I would justify they are athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver View Post
    Athletes work all the year working at what they do. Race drivers train with weights and have to keep themselves in good health and do off-season testing and other obligations to their team and sponsers and league.

That is why I would justify they are athletes.
    and they need to be as slim as possible, just to not to have to carry additional ballast

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    capital H????
    our worst fears have been confirmed, and it what "What" has thought from the very start...he IS God
    Known originally as lithuanianmafia

Quote Originally Posted by lith8872 View Post
    our worst fears have been confirmed, and it what "What" has thought from the very start...he IS God
    hahah! i was thinking about that to

Now. -What-, what is your purpose when you come to this forum? do you seek information? do you come here to know about car news? for the pictures? what? really, what is your interest in the forum?
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Couldn't have put it any better.
    "There is no doubt about when people began racing automobiles. It was the day they made the second one." - Richard Petty

All Throttle, No Bottle

Quote Originally Posted by -What- View Post
    You can't compare Tiger Woods to Schumacher. The power given to the golf ball comes from Tiger...not a chemical reaction away from the "athlete". Tiger swings, Schumacher pushes a pedal. Yes, Schumacher must steer...in heat! But really, Schumacher can't propel a vehicle to go 150+ mph, the engine does.
    but in the same vein, any sport that uses extra "tools" for lack of a better word is no longer considered such under your definition.

a baseball player couldn't hit a homer with a wiffle bat, but (s)he sure as hell can with a wooden one. and the skates on the hockey player? they're moving him along the ice aren't they?

and from someone who has done a lil bit of amateur drag racing, it can be exhausting...but then again it was the middle of summer so it may have just been the sun

and yes, racing does involve large sums of money. but then again, doesn't just about any sport? hockey equipment can cost, brand new, about a $1000 easilly for low end equipment, plus the cost of having to replace $100-150 sticks at least once or twice per game. this is money that a lot of kids don't have that want to start playing hockey, me being one of them when i was a youngster.

Quote Originally Posted by -What- View Post
    HELL YES

I don't know ANY rags-to-riches race car stories of modern day.

Ashley Force...SUCKS. But she still manages to win sometimes. You think she would be a PROFESSIONAL if her dad wasn't JOHN FORCE? You tellin' me that this girl has the athletic ability to compete with MEN? What type of "professional male athlete" loses to a GIRL in his respective sport?

My sister can beat me in UNO every now-and-then...but she'd NEVER beat me in a 100m foot race. NEVER.
    ah yes, sexism makes everything better.

and for the record i have lost to girls in sports, and i'm not afraid to admit it. i've been beatin in running, long jump, and wrestling matches in the bedroom...
    Last edited by lith8872; 02-12-2008 at 06:07 PM.
    Known originally as lithuanianmafia

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    capital H????
    Non capital C?

We all know I worship Spongebob, let's not confuse the issue.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Thread Information