Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Best classic American muscle car!!!

This is no Contest.

1970 Buick GSX Stage 1.
    its the Buick-bodied Chevelle, but it has a far superior motor: The Buick 455. It had 510 Ft-Lbs as low as 2800 RPM. It topped everything of its class, 454, 442, 460, and 440s. It was the best.

And, it had a killer paintjob.

Oh and sorry for the necropost
    Last edited by Magnum9987; 10-21-2010 at 03:13 PM.
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

In my opinion,the Dodge Charger of 1970 vintage would have to be the overall package.They Have the looks,the style and the tough mechanicals to match.Chrysler was a very underrated company back then with people opting for the more popular Chevrolet or Ford brand but considering they had and still have the best V8s to race with(think Keith Black Hemis),it`s hard not take them seriously.

I know I'm alone with my choice, but I'd vote for the AMC AMX. Totally underrated car with nice design and good engines that was killed by AMC's reputation.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

1970 Chevelle 454 SS. It was the absolute peak of muscle cars and it was also the last great muscle car until more modern times. It had the most horsepower of any of the old muscle cars.

It was fast, it was big, it was loud, it had a massive engine, it was good looking.

Until relatively recently, it had the most power of any GM vehicle ever built. I think the c6 z06 was the first to surpass it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by roosterjuicer; 10-28-2010 at 06:14 AM.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

It must be understood rooster that the Chevelle was rated in gross hp or "fantasy hp," where the actual number was just a vague representation of reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    It must be understood rooster that the Chevelle was rated in gross hp or "fantasy hp," where the actual number was just a vague representation of reality.
    Agreed, it made considerably more horsepower than it was conservatively rated at for insurance purposes
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    Agreed, it made considerably more horsepower than it was conservatively rated at for insurance purposes
    I wouldn't say it made much more power than what it was rated at. Seeing how the LS7 was rated at 500hp.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv View Post
    I wouldn't say it made much more power than what it was rated at. Seeing how the LS7 was rated at 500hp.
    Yeah... The underquoting was not really a problem - gross hp really inflated the numbers. A rough guess form shit I've read puts gross hp as much as 20% less than what was quoted in net hp.

I am not sure the methodology used to do this though. Testing these old cars now wouldn't be great.

Ah.

This is a rather great article. I know (hope?) you were joking rj, but this article is good reading for those that haven't learned about it - it's the best summary I've read on the net about these ratings.

So, as much as 30% overquoting, and this is a particularly good example:

While the late sixties were a golden age of horsepower compared to the late seventies or early eighties, the differences weren't quite as vast as they appear at first blush. A '67 Impala with the 396, rated 325 gross horsepower (242 kW), probably had something like 220 net horsepower (164 kW) in pure stock form -- decent, but no muscle car.
    Also:

Between inflation and deliberate underrating, by 1970, the relationship between advertised gross horsepower and actual power was at best nebulous. The gross ratings served a variety of political and marketing purposes, but they were far from useful as a realistic measure of engine output.

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore GS/E View Post
    I know I'm alone with my choice, but I'd vote for the AMC AMX. Totally underrated car with nice design and good engines that was killed by AMC's reputation.
    Nice choice. Not very common but its more unique for that.

And Yeah, alot of the muscle cars we over rated or even under rated.

They relied on unregulated Gross HP ratings, which measured HP without the attachments such as AC, Power steering, ETC. This could provide lots of added numbers that just weren't their.

And then plenty were under rated for insurance reasons. A good example is that the Boss 429 was rated at only 375, while ratings vary to as high as 500 HP.
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

Underrating is still a common practice to avoid high insurance. If what i read is thrue, the recent Audi S4 does produce nearly 400 hp (the engine is rated 333 hp).

But this is still not as good as RR's performance quote: "enough" .
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

I would have to say the 67 Ford Mustang fastback or the 67 Shelby GT500. Both are incredible classic muscle cars.

Thread Information