Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A car that motorized your country

A car that motorized your country

ok, so everybody knows how it goes - a Ford T for USA, a MINI for Great Britain - I guess...

so, please share the cars you feel that motorized your country I'll start with Poland:

The car that motorized Poland is Fiat 126p. After WW II the first cars Poles used where "Warszawa" based on GAZ Pobieda, and smaller "Syrena", our inner production. Then the Polish Government set the agreement with FIAT, first mass produced car on licence was 125p, later added in 1973 was a small 126p. the car costed 69 000 polish zlotys, when an average wage was 3 500. anyhow Poles didn't have any choice, especially that FIATs were great alternative to russian constructions. in 1981 first million was produced, in 1985 - the second, in 1993 - third. in 2000 the production eventually ended, without any major modifications throughout.

i remember back in mid 90's that the car still absolutely dominated the streets, like every third car was "maluch", as it's called here (shorty). now you can still come across them in the cities and it's fairly popular in smaller towns and at the countryside.

gotta love that pic - a typical image of polish city:

so, yours?
    12 cylinders or walk!

The Seat 600. It's just a rebadged Fiat 600 and it was sold from 1957 to 1973 first with a 633cc engine then with a 767cc unit. Basically it followed the evolution of the original italian mechanical-wise.

However we had our own variants like the 800, which was just a four door 600.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...iat-600-a.html (Fiat version, but it looked exactly the same minus badges)
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...eat-800-a.html
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Wouldn't Britan rate the Austin 7 as the car then put them on wheels?

I'd be interested in the cars that did the same for Japan and China.

Despite our tiny market there can be no doubt about it - with an incredible 250,000 sold here, and another 90,000 in New Zealand

Known as the 'Squatter's Joy' because of of its suitability for use on rough and muddy terrain, the Model T Ford was the most successful car ever seen in Australia
    As much as the low price, the simplicity and reliability helped put Australia on wheels
    More than any other vehicle, it led to the development of graded roads throughout Australia and to a completely new way of life

(notable mention to the 1948-on Holden 48/215 which at one stage enjoyed an amazing SEVEN YEAR waiting list!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Their was a car in Guatemala back in the 50's but I cannot recall what was it called and could not find any informaiton neither
    In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women. -Tony Montana

"A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

America.....Ferrari Enzo
    UCP's NO. 1 Source for Enzo & 69 Camaro pic's

Quote Originally Posted by crisis View Post
    I'd wager that aussie sales of the Model T equalled or exceeded those of Holden's 48/215 and FX and FJ models combined, not to mention beating the Humpy in market-percentage let alone per-capita sales ..

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    I'd wager that aussie sales of the Model T equalled or exceeded those of Holden's 48/215 and FX and FJ models combined, not to mention beating the Humpy in market-percentage let alone per-capita sales ..
    Even the first Ford ute built here was pretty massive to us.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

I should notice Ford, too. The Model A was the first car produced on both GAZ and AZLK (KIM, MZMA - Moskvitch in short) factories in 1930s.
    Speaking about later vehicles, which were really mass-produced, it should be Moskvitch 403, later 408 and VAZ 2101-2107 (Zhiguli, Lada, whatever).

This is 1932-1936 GAZ A - GAZ-produced Ford Model A.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I'd be interested in the cars that did the same for Japan and China.
    If I'm not mistaken, Japan started form Ford Model A, too.

Basically it were all of the "regular" people's cars here. The VW Beetle, FIAT 500 and Mini were quite popular here. Combined with Ford products of the time and some American and other German automobiles..

If i had to choose it would probably be one of the following: Ford Cortina which was later replaced by the Subaru Leone

We are a rather young (60 years) country so it took us some time to get things straight
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, Japan started form Ford Model A, too.
    I see. It would make sense. Most of the Japanese automakers probably didn't start until after WWII.

China would probably be the same. They might have even had British or German cars because parts of the country were occupied by Europeans. Just a guess though.

Thread Information