Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glare Issue

Glare Issue

Alright guys, I just hit a local dealership and took some photos. Maybe 2 hours ago, I got some nice close ups inside the building and than the guy let me go out back. I saw this F430 there, and took this photo.

I was using a Lens hood AND a UV filter both at once and the glare still found its way into the image...

..does anybody have any tips on how to avoid this?

The glare is just above the rear half section of the car...if you cant find it, lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Manik; 02-23-2008 at 05:25 PM.
    My Photography: flickr.com/photos/a-m-photo/
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."

Don't shoot into the sun.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

haha, so you're telling me to stay in the comfort of my home and take pictures of cars that drive by the window?

I'll consider it.

Yep, that's lens flare.
    So the lens hood wasn't large enough and UV filter's won't stop flare
    As said don't shoot into the sun .... OR use an object to block direct sun falling on the lens ---- have even used a hand when nothing else availabke ( and then editing it out later )
    THe other option is to position yourself so that a natural object provides the shade necessary.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Yeah so I guess for that shot I would have had to shield the sun with my hand.

Also, than what should I be using UV filters for?

Quote Originally Posted by Manik View Post
    Yeah so I guess for that shot I would have had to shield the sun with my hand.

Also, than what should I be using UV filters for?
    Protecting your lens. A scratch on a UV filter is cheap to replace. A scratch on a lens is a VERY expensive thing to fix.

Really? Haha, I was off thinking it prevented glare. Thanks for that.

Really? Haha, I was off thinking it prevented glare. Thanks for that.
    Polarizing filters help with the reflections/glare.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Yeah I've got one, but I didn't bring it because I thought it would slow my shutter speeds too much for inside the dealership. But now I regret it as the reflections took over a few of my shots.

btw, thats a sick avatar.

I could be wrong, but that doesn't look like normal flare. Almost looks like it's excessive flare caused by something on the lens, like water or something. Just doesn't seem like your lens should be flaring in that situation. As a last resort, you can always block the sun with your left hand, shoot wide, then crop your hand out.

EDIT: Unless that shot is already cropped significantly. Just doesn't seem like the sun is direct enough to cause glare like that. What kind/range of lens were you using?

Quote Originally Posted by pat_ernzen View Post
    I could be wrong, but that doesn't look like normal flare. Almost looks like it's excessive flare caused by something on the lens, like water or something. Just doesn't seem like your lens should be flaring in that situation. As a last resort, you can always block the sun with your left hand, shoot wide, then crop your hand out.

EDIT: Unless that shot is already cropped significantly. Just doesn't seem like the sun is direct enough to cause glare like that. What kind/range of lens were you using?
    The photo is untouched other than resizing from the camera. I used a Tamron 28-80mm lens for this photo (money conscious). Just throwing this out there, but do you think it was the UV filter that caused the flare? By adding another reflective surface perhaps?

hmmmm. sorry to say but cheap lenses are cheaper for reasons.
    Expesnive multiple lenses and coatings add to a higher proce.
    You may just have a lens that flares badly. Sorry
    Glare and flare are two entirely different things. UV will help on glare and reflections ... not flare and as you've said adding another element ads another potential flare surface.
    Pat's point does make me think it may be from the main lens outer element and the filter. Are they both coated ?
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

The photo is untouched other than resizing from the camera. I used a Tamron 28-80mm lens for this photo (money conscious). Just throwing this out there, but do you think it was the UV filter that caused the flare? By adding another reflective surface perhaps?
    Considering the range of the lens, meaning 28mm minimum, I'm thinking it was probably due to a smudge or something on the lens or filter picking up flare that wouldn't normally be there or making slight flare much worse. Though, it could be the lens itself, to be honest... it is a very cheap lens. Not there's necessarily anything wrong with it and often such lenses are fine optically, they're just cheaply constructed and sometimes prone to things like this. I always keep UV filters on my lenses and haven't really noticed it adding to things like flare by simply being there... and I pretty much buy the cheapest UV filters I can find.
    www.Desert-Motors.com - mag.Desert-Motors.com

basically use a lens hood (usually get one with your lens) and when shooting.. if your eyes are blinded when you're taking the shot then the camera will be too..

The photo at left was taken with a zoom lens without a lens hood. The photo on the right was taken with the same lens in the same location, but with a properly designed lens hood. A lens hood can make the difference between a disaster and a good photo.

Cotterik, I know this, I was infact using a lens hood. It was the one which came with the camera.

@pat ernzen - I agree, this makes sense, the more you pay the more you get. But starting out as a beginner and only seeing the odd photo turn out like this one I have to say I'm satisfied.

Thread Information