Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lodz Gives Green Light to Street Racers

Lodz Gives Green Light to Street Racers

Polish boy racers have been given the green light to speed through city streets by the police.

Parts of the country's second city Lodz have been cordoned off at night for testosterone-fuelled youngsters to drive at hair raising speeds.

The move by police in Lodz is a bid to keep youths from speeding at night throughout the city.

They hope encouraging them to race and show off their cars in a controlled zone - where they can travel as fast as they like - will cut down on accidents in the rest of the city.

The first legal races have taken place in Lodz, monitored by the city police and the Lodz motoring club.

"We've come to an understanding with the organisers of the illegal races," said the head of the club, Lech Ryszewski.

"The motoring club has created a Street Legal section, which will organise the races in closed off streets, under the supervision of licensed organisers and judges. In return, participants are obliged to make sure no-one organises similar races on city streets."

But the Polish press has slammed the move, claiming the authorities have naively capitulated to the boy racers.
    A smart move, I think it is a better idea than moving the driving age up. What do you guys think?
    Edit: forgot the source: Ananova - Green light for boy racers
    "Don't have phone sex, you could get hearing AIDS"

I think this is the best idea I've heard in years...

wow my city is of international fame w00t

in fact legal streetraces have been organized here for about two years, there's even held commanding officer's cup. been to a competition like these once, attracts huge attention as there are no racing tracks in proximity of 150 kms. apart from typical ricer racers there were some cool cars like original '67 mustang and bmws 2002 ti and M6 brought by bmw's dealership
    12 cylinders or walk!

I think that is a really good move, promotes safety and a racing environment when one isn't available. Any cost involved for racers? Because sounds like its probably pretty cost effective for racers too. I am sure some people would race on a track if it were cheaper but I don't know.

more tracks and track days would be nice too! its still very dangerous!
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

For almost a decade the same has been going on in my area. Usually motor cycle races are being held on a road in a industrial area. Every weekend the road is closed off. Police come by to look for people that have tickets open etcetera but do not act. On the start and finishing line the organizers are in contact with walky-talkies. Been going on for years now without any accidents.

When some young people drive back from looking to it though accidents happen because of overenthousiasm. Have lost a friend that way about two years back.

Or they could build a motor park...? This just seems lazy...and also foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    More foolish than not doing this and being sure of illegal street racing that will occur anyway? Sometimes a racetrack just isn't feasible or worth it to the government.

I think this would just encourage more street racing by making it socially acceptable, the thinking would go something along the lines of "why do we need the city to organize the events?"

But im not informed of the situation there.

I think this would just encourage more street racing by making it socially acceptable, the thinking would go something along the lines of "why do we need the city to organize the events?"

But im not informed of the situation there.
    It's not about socially acceptable but rather keeping people alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    It's not about socially acceptable but rather keeping people alive.
    By making it socially acceptable it raises the probability of it occuring without supervision, therefore risking lives.

By making it socially acceptable it raises the probability of it occuring without supervision, therefore risking lives.
    Like Dydzi said, there is no racetrack for 150 km in the area. What they are doing is providing a dragstrip for these cars to race on, with safety and supervision. They would be making it socially acceptable if they allowed ILLEGAL street racing, but that's different.

Thats ****ing BRILLIANT!!!. I wish theyd do that here because they keep closing down the damn tracks and giving us nowhere to race. Its nice to see police that are willing to meet in the middle on issues instead of just cracking down ten times harder than usual...

haha now that just perfectly shows the differnces in our worlds. in whole country there are three countries, one of which in 2/3 consist of public roads, and another doesn't have pits. there have been taken many attempts to build a motor park up to world standards, but never would work.

besides, the only part of the track they'd use is a drag strip.

speaking of which - poland has one of the strongest drag leagues in europe, many european champions etc. so you'd expect there's a drag strip in every city? not a single one built in a whole country. polish championship are held on an abandoned airstrip.

the success is that we have highways. currently built and in plans
    12 cylinders or walk!

Canuck, your statements are such bollocks its untrue. If people want to race, and theres no tracks, theyll go to the stree. Despite what you think its better to have a section of the city cordoned off for streetracing than to have no street cordoned off, no tracks and people streetracing around the ENTIRE city...

Thread Information