Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Moto GP Official Thread.

2008 Moto GP Official Thread.

If you like racing, you love Moto GP.

In 2007 Casey Stoner shocked the Moto GP scene as he dominated the season to take the title in comanding fashion It was only his second Moto GP season and first year on a Ducati, he became the second youngest champion ever. 10 wins in the season put him besides Moto GP legends, 14 podiums from 17 races and no race finish worse than 6th erased any thoughts about him being erratic anymore. His teammate, veteran, accomplished and highly regarded Capirossi, despite a win at Motegi, was not even close.

Valentino Rossi fought bravely and won 4 races, squeezing every single milisecond from his bike and tyres, but he was denied second on the championship table after a couple of mechanical failers and a crash in the second half of the season. Pedrosa then came second to Stoner after a very frustrating season in which the Honda was rarely a match for the Ducati and accidents at Misano and Japan killed whatever small hopes he had.

2006 champion Hayden had an even more frustrating season, struggling to adapt to the 800cc bike, overdriving and being involved in incidents in incredible 7 races. Three 3rd places were the best he could do, but at least the season finished better than it sterted.

continues...
    Would it be possible, to play forever?
    The conclusion reached was that a player is inevitably doomed to lose.

Casey Stoner and Ducati dominated winter testing setting bliestering times nearly everywhere, as Stoner recovered from a shoulder injury after a crash in a test session at Jerez late last year. Melandri, Stoner's new teammate, is even more far behind than Capirossi was. Those who thought the bike was doing all the job have much to think about in the meantime.

Rossi, having switched to Bridgestone tyres, has shown impressive pace too, adapting ever more to his new tyres. His new teammate, double 250cc champion, the young Spaniard Jorge Lorenzo, has been quick on his Michelin Yamaha and shows signs of promise.

Speaking of double spaniards and 250cc champions, Pedrosa has nothing to smile about as the season begins. A violent accident in testing at Valencia has put him out of testing this year as he injured a hand. The little he did at Jerez a few weeks ago was enough to reveal his hand hasn't fully healed. Honda development has thus been left for Hayden, and it wasn't easy on him too. Honda's new pneumatic engine has not been the step foward it should be as they try to find an aswer to Ducati, they'll start the season with their old valve spring engine. Hayden also had a hard time finding race pace on his bike, despite very strong qualifying simulations which led to impressive times at Jerez.

So the 2008 season begins with Stoner in great form following winter testing. And again it seems that whether he'll dominate or not depends on how competitive Rossi and Yamaha are. Pedrosa might be a threat too, but that depends on how quick he'll recover from his injury and on Honda's development. Hayden, my dark horse for this season, also has his hopes on bike development and the tyre war.

That's it for my very humble preview. There is much more that can be said, but I wouldn't be able to aptly put it to words here.

Roll on Moto GP 2008. Casey Stoner vs Valentino Rossi, pt 2. Has the guard passed from one champion to another, or does Rossi stil have what it takes after not winning for two seasons?

Speak your minds guys!!!

• DATES EVENT VENUE
      01 - Mar 9 QATAR DOHA/LOSAIL (first Moto GP night race ever)
      02 - Mar 30 SPAIN JEREZ DE LA FRONTERA
      03 - Apr 13 PORTUGAL ESTORIL
      04 - May 4 CHINA SHANGHAI
      05 - May 18 FRANCE LE MANS
      06 - Jun 1 ITALY MUGELLO
      07 - Jun 8 CATALUNYA MONTMELO
      08 - Jun 22 BRITAIN DONINGTON PARK
      09 - Jun 28 NETHERLANDS ASSEN [SATURDAY RACE]
      10 - Jul 13 GERMANY SACHSENRING
      11 - Jul 20 UNITED STATES LAGUNA SECA [MOTOGP CLASS ONLY]
      12 - Aug 17 CZECH REPUBLIC BRNO
      13 - Aug 31 SAN MARINO MISANO
      14 - Sept 14 INDIANAPOLIS INDIANAPOLIS (first Moto GP race ever at Indy)
      15 - Sept 28 JAPAN MOTEGI
      16 - Oct 5 AUSTRALIA PHILLIP ISLAND
      17 - Oct 19 MALAYSIA SEPANG
      18 - Oct 26 VALENCIA RICARDO TORMO
    Last edited by Wouter Melissen; 03-08-2008 at 02:34 AM.

It's going to be a big season. Stoner will go even faster (he's said that there was quite a few times when he wasn't pushing as hard as he could), the 250 guys will come out swinging, the Kwaka's will be up the pointy end, and there is going to be more tension in the Yamaha "pits" then there were the McLaren ones.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

I have watched it eventually for last three-four years, maybe I'll be able to watch this season complete.

Oh, and there was an interesting article in AMCN recently, about the fuelling systems no GP bikes, and they hypothetised that Yamaha may in have not been testing pneumatic valve engines, but direct injection ones.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Kawasaki looked good in some races last season, but Hopkins got hurt in testing too and I'm afraid that will put them a foot behind at least in the beginning of the season.

Capirossi, now on Suzuki, doesn't seem to be setting the world afire.

I'm somewhat worried that these two teams will find it harder to step further and become even more serious challengers.

I'm liking the look of the upcoming 2008 season (Apart from the Indianapolis afternoon nap.. I mean race). Bradley Smith (125cc) coming through strong on his new Aprillia, shows he was held back a lot on last seasons bike. MotoGP, Rossi looking promising and Toseland getting used to his new steed. Lorenzo has also given some nice results, another Casey Stoner maybe?
    Last edited by Imakuni; 02-28-2008 at 03:51 PM.
    ' For the tenacious, no road is impassable '.

Dovizioso has been adapting pretty well to the bikes. Some people might be looking at Lorenzo or Toseland to come in flying, but i think Dovizioso will be the surprise package.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by Homem de Gelo View Post
    Kawasaki looked good in some races last season, but Hopkins got hurt in testing too and I'm afraid that will put them a foot behind at least in the beginning of the season.
    But they've got West coming in swinging, and he'll go fast. A lot of journos who got to ride the bike said it was very fast, but needing some tweaking. I don't think Hopkins' injury will put them back.

Quote Originally Posted by Homem de Gelo View Post
    Capirossi, now on Suzuki, doesn't seem to be setting the world afire.

I'm somewhat worried that these two teams will find it harder to step further and become even more serious challengers.
    Suzuki seems to have hit a wall. They were really on the verge of breaking through to the top last year, but then had a few bad rounds toward the end. Which is a pity, because I wanted to see Vermulen go better than his 6th (IIRC) last year.
    – Hunter Thompson

Last night was the first night test for Moto GP at Qatar.
    MOTOGP: Stoner shines on opening night., motorsport news, results, features, teams, drivers, updates
    Stoner led.

MOTOGP: Rookies rule as night test concludes.

I can't wait for the season to begin.

Added a thread for Quatar.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

autosport.com - MotoGP News: Lorenzo grabs pole on MotoGP debut

Lorenzo on pole, Toseland 2nd. Nice start for the rookies.
    Yamaha 1-2-3-7. Guess who's 7th!

Michelin totally dominated qualifying, but the race might be anothert story.

Elias' ruined Stoner's last attempt. Who knows what could have happened?

I can't wait for the race!!!

Thread Information