View Poll Results: Lotus Elise R vs. Mini Cooper S JCW

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lotus Elise R

39 90.70%
  • Mini Cooper S JCW

4 9.30%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Lotus Elise R vs. the Mini Cooper S JCW.

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    EVO lied to me. I will never trust Metcalf again.
    He didn't lie, it was just the old new package (if that makes any sense). This has just been released some days ago.

With this new age of ultra powerful superminis the 192bhp option was lacking in outright numbers.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by :Exige: View Post
    Have you not been reading anything anyone has been writing? The Mini doesn't have bad reliability ... if you call 13/100 cars having faults unreliable then obviously the whole car industry is unsatisfactory for you. If all of your friends just so happen to have bad Mini's then it's their fault because they're obviously buying them from somewhere dodgy. Afterall, 87% of other Mini drivers haven't had a problem with theirs.

And the Elise is in a completley different league when it comes to reliability ... 13/100 cars failing as opposed to atleast 75/100 cars failing ... that's almost 800% more unreliable! The Mini isn't unreliable ... it's reliability is average and exactly what you'd expect for a £12k super-mini.

Of course, I think I know why some people think the Mini is unreliable. The average Lotus driver is a man who when his car breaks down, fixes it.

The average Mini driver however is a metrosexual male who whenever his car breaks down complains and whines until someone fixes it for him.

Welcome to the 21st Century people
    Sorry, truth be told i've skimmed through this really quickly, saw you replied so i wrote a quick one back while i was busy with school crap.

Also, I'll have to admit i didn't realise the Elise was so much higher, i thought it'd have double the failure rate. Also, lots of people who buy the Mini buy it with a ton of extras. My bro's cost £16k and for that money (and from BMW) we did expect better. I'm not gonna argue, i'm getting a fiat if i do well in exams and i don't expect that to be perfectly reliable but the dealership said that the Mini's weren't very reliable (BMW dealership, not Fiat, obviously), but I'm not sure. Just a few bad experiences with my bro and other people i know.

I'd still take an Elise, just because i want one, lol.

Of course, I think I know why some people think the Mini is unreliable. The average Lotus driver is a man who when his car breaks down, fixes it.

The average Mini driver however is a metrosexual male who whenever his car breaks down complains and whines until someone fixes it for him.

Welcome to the 21st Century people
    I'm that second type. Actually I'm pretty good at diagnosing what's wrong with a car, but as soon as the tools come out I'm inevitably going to make it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
    Sorry, truth be told i've skimmed through this really quickly, saw you replied so i wrote a quick one back while i was busy with school crap.

Also, I'll have to admit i didn't realise the Elise was so much higher, i thought it'd have double the failure rate. Also, lots of people who buy the Mini buy it with a ton of extras. My bro's cost £16k and for that money (and from BMW) we did expect better. I'm not gonna argue, i'm getting a fiat if i do well in exams and i don't expect that to be perfectly reliable but the dealership said that the Mini's weren't very reliable (BMW dealership, not Fiat, obviously), but I'm not sure. Just a few bad experiences with my bro and other people i know.

I'd still take an Elise, just because i want one, lol.
    Haha, I think most of us would still take the Elise as the poll seems to show. Every man has his own experiences of certain cars, and it sure does sound like Minis have been out to get you

At the end of the day it hurt me to defend the New Mini in any way because it is a huge gimmick, and there will always be people who will buy into their marketing. Maybe if it didn't have a Mini badge, or it atleast resembled the original Mini in any way, I'd like the car. However it doesn't offer cheap motoring, it's absolutely not Mini in size and it has not shown itself as a complete and utter weapon like Paddy Hopkirk showed us the original was.

If you want a 2008 Mini, buy a Renault Clio Sport ... for me that resembles pretty much everything the original Mini Cooper S was (though I would really like to hear what you guys think which modern car most deserves the Mini badge )

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    I'm that second type. Actually I'm pretty good at diagnosing what's wrong with a car, but as soon as the tools come out I'm inevitably going to make it worse.
    Oh no, you don't sound like that sort of person. The sort of person I'm talking about usually threatens legal action and forces the company to recall all of their cars when they hear a small clicking noise coming from their indicators

Atleast you have the patience to spend more than 14 seconds thinking about what is actually wrong with the car

Haha, I think most of us would still take the Elise as the poll seems to show. Every man has his own experiences of certain cars, and it sure does sound like Minis have been out to get you

At the end of the day it hurt me to defend the New Mini in any way because it is a huge gimmick, and there will always be people who will buy into their marketing. Maybe if it didn't have a Mini badge, or it atleast resembled the original Mini in any way, I'd like the car. However it doesn't offer cheap motoring, it's absolutely not Mini in size and it has not shown itself as a complete and utter weapon like Paddy Hopkirk showed us the original was.

If you want a 2008 Mini, buy a Renault Clio Sport ... for me that resembles pretty much everything the original Mini Cooper S was (though I would really like to hear what you guys think which modern car most deserves the Mini badge )
    Interesting that you criticise the Mini for the bulk, and yet after recommend the Clio RS, which has won a lot of mass and size in the transition from Mk II to Mk III.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Interesting that you criticise the Mini for the bulk, and yet after recommend the Clio RS, which has won a lot of mass and size in the transition from Mk II to Mk III.
    It was actually the MkII I was reffering to ... I didn't even know Renault released a MkIII Renault Sport until now The dealer I pass is still selling the MkIIs.

Cinquecento Abarth is what you need, mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
    Cinquecento Abarth is what you need, mate.
    Well actually...

Lotus Elise + Mini Cooper S = Mazda MX-5

Or something.
    Visca Catalunya!

Well actually...

Lotus Elise + Mini Cooper S = Mazda MX-5

Or something.

Half the fun, twice the hairdresser?

jks
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Elise all the way, besides i doubt i can fit in a mini without some problems
    Once fanboyism infects you it impares all your judgement.
    It's like being drunk, you lack common sense and everyone laughs at you.

80% of the people in these polls that pick the faster/more hardcore/more exclusive/more expensive car would sell them inside the first month of owning them. You couldn't afford the running costs, or chiropractor bills, from daily driving an Elise.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs View Post
    80% of the people in these polls that pick the faster/more hardcore/more exclusive/more expensive car would sell them inside the first month of owning them. You couldn't afford the running costs, or chiropractor bills, from daily driving an Elise.
    The running costs of a toyota engine are suddenly higher than that of a BMW? wtf...

Toyota dealers don't service Lotuses last I checked. And if you think Lotus charges Toyota prices for engine parts, you've got another thing coming.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs View Post
    Toyota dealers don't service Lotuses last I checked.
    Im sure any toyota dealer would be happy to have you spend money there...

Thread Information