View Poll Results: What’s your favorite type of car?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hot Hatches

5 9.62%
  • Q Cars

11 21.15%
  • Grand Tourers

7 13.46%
  • Sports Cars

26 50.00%
  • Luxury Cars

2 3.85%
  • SUVs

1 1.92%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite type of car?

Your definition of a "sports car" I define to be more exotic than anything else.

Then again, I wouldn't know how to differentiate the categories between a Corvette, a S2000, and a Miata. Categories make my head hurt.

Whatevers.

I voted for hot hatches. Most pragmatic choice out there.

Personal favorite would be Civic Si or Type R of any year/model.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo.Jenkens View Post
    I'll take a light weight minimalist sportscar any day.

Not that I've had the opportunity to drive one, but I consider the 599 GTB a GT. Eventhough it can outperform nearly all sportscars it possesses all the amenities of a proper GT.
    But then are the 365 GTB/4 or the 275 GTB sportscars or GT's? I'd consider them sportscars and arguably the 599 GTB is a direct descendant of those.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    A big part of the reason I posted this poll was because I was curious about people's definitions of what constitutes a certain type of car. For example I consider the Ferrari 599 GTB to be a sports car, but lots of people call it a GT car.
    Categorizing and pigeonholing the various car types used to be a lot easier back in the day.

Something with no top or soft-topped that was drafty, bare and uncomfortable but unusually quick and wieldy for its size was a safe bet as a sports car, while GTs were a high-style device with luxury appointments and comfortable demeanor that also had the ability to cruise rapidly and effortlessly long-distance, even if small-engined.

Then you get to consider conundrums such as the Jaguar XK120 which was either a fast but unreliable sports car, especially in roadster trim, or when presented as a coupe became a fully fledged GT that still broke down a lot!

So which is what? I guess its the same dilemma with Corvettes, reliability notwithstanding. When in individual perception does the original Lotus Elan turn from sports into GT .. when it's the hardtop, or the Elan 2+2?

Or to use your 599 analogy; if Ferrari presented a version with an ill-fitting single-layer soft top, would that one modification transmogrify an otherwise GT-style machine into a reasonably quantifiable sports car - and vice versa? Could the hypothetical difference between sports/GT hinge on a basic soft top vs insulated & triple-layer? The question becomes 'how many times can you split a hair?'

Q-cars are easier, though. The objective is covert invisibility melded with unusual speed, which as my favorite combination is what I voted for

(lots of responses since i started replying!)

Big luxury cars and classic muscle cars.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    Big luxury cars and classic muscle cars.
    Surprise, surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Categorizing and pigeonholing the various car types used to be a lot easier back in the day.

Something with no top or soft-topped that was drafty, bare and uncomfortable but unusually quick and wieldy for its size was a safe bet as a sports car, while GTs were a high-style device with luxury appointments and comfortable demeanor that also had the ability to cruise rapidly and effortlessly long-distance, even if small-engined.

Then you get to consider conundrums such as the Jaguar XK120 which was either a fast but unreliable sports car, especially in roadster trim, or when presented as a coupe became a fully fledged GT that still broke down a lot!

So which is what? I guess its the same dilemma with Corvettes, reliability notwithstanding. When in individual perception does the original Lotus Elan turn from sports into GT .. when it's the hardtop, or the Elan 2+2?

Or to use your 599 analogy; if Ferrari presented a version with an ill-fitting single-layer soft top, would that one modification transmogrify an otherwise GT-style machine into a reasonably quantifiable sports car - and vice versa? Could the hypothetical difference between sports/GT hinge on a basic soft top vs insulated & triple-layer? The question becomes 'how many times can you split a hair?'

Q-cars are easier, though. The objective is covert invisibility melded with unusual speed, which as my favorite combination is what I voted for

(lots of responses since i started replying!)
    You make excellent points. All the more complicated by the fact that so many cars today can do double or triple duty. The M5, 911 and Corvette are all cars that one can drive to work everyday, but are pretty fierce around a track too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    But then are the 365 GTB/4 or the 275 GTB sportscars or GT's? I'd consider them sportscars and arguably the 599 GTB is a direct descendant of those.
    Whether or not the aforementioned Ferraris are sportscars or GTs is really in the eye of the beholder, because they posses all attributes of either category. However, I think we can all agree that they are supercars.

Definitely exotic supercars

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo.Jenkens View Post
    Whether or not the aforementioned Ferraris are sportscars or GTs is really in the eye of the beholder, because they posses all attributes of either category. However, I think we can all agree that they are supercars.
    Supercar has also become hard to define. The RR Phantom is fast, expensive, eye catching and rare. So is it a supercar? Also, for years the Porsche 911 was called "the world's most sensible supercar", but with so many around and most Q-cars having equal or better performance, can the 911 still be considered a supercar?

Tough choise i think id side with Q ships tho

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    Supercar has also become hard to define. The RR Phantom is fast, expensive, eye catching and rare. So is it a supercar? Also, for years the Porsche 911 was called "the world's most sensible supercar", but with so many around and most Q-cars having equal or better performance, can the 911 still be considered a supercar?
    Maybe turbocharged variants. Normally aspirated variants aren't supercars, I consider them sportscars since they are just too slow.
    Visca Catalunya!

I think a distinction has to be made what one wants and what one needs.

From the categories I would probably want a hothatch, and not a new one, but something like the 205 GTi, the Saxo VTR, the AX GTI or even the first generation Golf GTI, which were not yet victims of the obese trends of the past ten years. In the same vein a sportscar for me would be the first generation Elan, and for reliability purposes one might want to replace that with a first generation MR2.

For what I currently need no category has been defined, as I prefer a comfortable long distance tourer with ample luggage space and four/five seats. (I am no longer a daily commuter). An SUV comes close, but there is no need for oversize and expensive 4WD systems. If I needed that I would take an XC70 or a an Outback or a similar shaped car. On top of that ride quality and comfort is important for long distance traveling and hence my current vehicle is what I (think I) need. (although it looks pathetic, but there is light at the end of the tunnel)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

You know Pieter, your solution is only a number away.
    Visca Catalunya!

You know Pieter, your solution is only a number away.
    that number will never become available as a break (or Tourer)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Maybe turbocharged variants. Normally aspirated variants aren't supercars, I consider them sportscars since they are just too slow.
    Just curious .. in its time, would you (or others) have considered something like a 1971 or '72 Porsche 911S to be supercar material? Or the similar-era Aston DBS Vantage?

Thread Information