Thread: Photo colour issues

Photo colour issues

Alright guys, this is really starting to make me mad here. I have my new camera, I take the pictures and transfer them from the Compact Flash to the computer. They are fine. I edit some, and re save them in a new folder, entitled finals. I save them at the high quality setting only and they all look fine. Now I come back about 4-5 days later and their true colour is gone and they look horrible. They transitions between colours look VERY degraded. Almost as if there are only 3 shades of grey in the grey areas, nothing is smooth at all. This also happening to UNTOUCHED original photos...which really throws me off, as I literally don't ever do anything to the originals, and whenever I edit them they get saved as a new file. This only seems to happen on this computer, which I run vista and CS3 on, my other one, which has XP and CS2, is fine, nothing happens to the pictures over a period of time.

I've included a sample below of what the photos look like now, there is so much loss I don't even want to keep them. I need to know whats happening here.

I have included a screen shot of what they look like on my screen, also, just a side note, I do have photos that I have downloaded off of the internet that still look fine. so it isn't my screen that is doing this, they did look FINE before.

Here is a black and white photo...

And here is a colour photo...notice how much gray is in the photo...

Any help would be appreciated...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Manik; 03-05-2008 at 05:49 PM. Reason: spelling
    My Photography: flickr.com/photos/a-m-photo/
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."

Maybe it's uploading the pictures in the RGYB setting.. or partly grayscaled. Not sure to be honest, never had this problem occur for me.

Are you opening them from one pc to another? or all on one pc? it could be your settings screwing around with the .jpg
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

I assume the difference is between your two different computers? It could be a number of things, from colour settings in each Photoshop, to monitor differences. I notice quite a colour difference between my iMac screen, and my Samsung LCD even after trying to balance the two out.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your post, it's probably just differences between XP/CS2 and Vista/CS3 as well as monitor calibration.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

Well now, after checking them out, it is just my Vista/CS3 computer thats messing with the images. But I dont even think its messing with them. I took one of the images, and transferred it to another computer, the image looked fine there...so that sums it up as a monitor problem...but now where does that put me? Anybody have an idea as to what I should do?

EDIT: I'll mess around with my monitor setting and get back to see if anything works...

EDIT 2: No luck...
    Last edited by Manik; 03-05-2008 at 09:53 PM.

Do the pictures look good at any point on the vista/cs3 computer? If so then it can't be the monitor...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    Do the pictures look good at any point on the vista/cs3 computer? If so then it can't be the monitor...
    I think after fooling around with some of the monitor and video card drivers it got screwed up, and ended up like this. As I had to download some new ones off of the internet because my old ones weren't compatible with Vista. In my rather noobish view for computers I believe its the connection from the computer to the monitor where the poor quality message is being sent. Than the monitor displays it like so.

EDIT: It seems fine now...I don't know how I fixed it...
    Last edited by Manik; 03-06-2008 at 10:02 PM.

If it's the physical connection, then everything will look off; not just your own photos. Since you've 'fixed' it, did you install new drivers? Sometimes all it takes is a little calibrations and up to date drivers.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

Thread Information