Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Increased violence in Israel, and to likely increase

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/worl...inians.html?hp

Israel and Hamas have reached an informal cease fire, and progress in the peace talks (which Egypt is mediating) is being made

Israel at first stopped air strikes and similar attacks, and the rocket fire Hamas has been using has dropped to ~2 a day (as opposed to 12 a day before this weekend).

Furthermore, as stated in the article, Olmert declares that the peace talks with the Palestinian government WILL continue, even if there is more violence by various smaller groups in the area.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

I think we're all looking at this the wrong way.

It's not an Increase in hostility at all, what we've had was a lull in hostility, which has now, unfortunately ended.

And if I'm being honest, I'm not smart enough to think of a solution thats going to please everyone - and I don't think i'm alone in that.

In order for this situation to be solved, someone has to be pissed off. At the moment those who are pissed off are blowing others away and themselves up, which, I think we all agree, doesn't have the desired effect.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

True, there was a very long lull in suicide bombings, but there still were a good dozen rockets a day fired at places like Sderot, so the "lull" was relative.

There was a very sharp increase in violence and hostility, even if brief. And considering the remarks each side was making, it looked like both were pledging to give everything they had to win (Israel saying it would make much more frequent, "looser" attacks into Gaza, and Hamas saying they would stand up to fight more than before).

What is good and likely WILL have the desired effects, is that 1. the Israeli government is trying to make peace with the official Palestinian government despite everything with militants in the area, and 2. Hamas is realizing that blowing people up with bombs and/or rockets repeatedly, is only hurting their cause and their people, and they probably suffered greatly from the recent major move by the Israeli army into Gaza. What is even MORE important, is that Israel showed it could trust Hamas by standing down earlier then Hamas did, and on the other side Hamas showed they were also trustworthy in that they DID fulfill their part of the informal cease-fire.

To summarize the above paragraph with something that might actually make more sense then a sleep deprived 19 year old, it looks like both sides are standing down to make room for peace, which is a desirable path towards a desirable effect

I agree - the only way anything will be sorted out in the region is for both sides to acknowledge there parts in the process and make strides to better each others current position.

However, looking at the regions history, old habits (and grudges) die hard.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

True, but think of it this way, too: Habits may leave when it's generation dies out. It takes time, but hey, it is easier to make an impression on the son of the rebel, than the rebel (usually).

Thread Information