Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Father's Ancient Camera

My Father's Ancient Camera

Yeah, well just as I was suggesting to buy the D40, my father decides to dig out his really ancient FM2. Tell you the truth, I'm interested in learning how to use both cameras now. Either way you cut it though, I got a lot of reading to do.

I'm still set on buying the D40 right now.

Anyone else own this relic?

I think it's only a 55mm lens, with no zoom. I might be interested in buying other lenses. I know that the digital and film lenses are not compatible.

Again, questions, comments, etc. are all welcome.

Just a sorta off topic question, what did cameras you car photographers use to take pictures before we went all digital?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 03-10-2008 at 07:41 PM.

You'll notice a significant difference in picture quality when using the old one, much better than digital. I used crap compact camera's and very rarely my dad's ancient Fujica ST-705 on a much younger age(14-ish). Absolutely loved being in our own little dark room, developing pictures.

Ah, yeah, about the image quality. I've taken a grand total of 3 images perhaps?

And I still haven't finished the roll yet. Add in film development, and it's another couple months before I get back results.

I see the advantage of digital already. But since the film is expired (8 years or so), there's no harm in taking pictures, good or bad.

I'm trying to figure out apeture or diaphram settings. I don't really need to fiddle with ISO or shutter speed, since that's dictated by the film type anyway, right?
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 03-10-2008 at 07:41 PM.

I have and use my dad's Canon AE-1 (circa 1976) it's really cool. The pictures come out great, and there's that awesome sound and mirror slap I don't get with my D50.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

I know my mom had a Nikon when she was in her teens, she showed it to me a few years back, but I haven't seen it since.

I love the look of these old cameras though.

Just thought I'd ask...that 50mm on there, thats still an excellent lens by todays standards right?
    My Photography: flickr.com/photos/a-m-photo/
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche View Post
    I have and use my dad's Canon AE-1 (circa 1976) it's really cool. The pictures come out great, and there's that awesome sound and mirror slap I don't get with my D50.
    Yeah, that sound is great. The weight and feel of it all is really cool. Picking up the FM2 and then picking up my puny Coolpix 3700. No comparison.

From what I know, I know that this is an original model FM2, which is kinda rare, considering that Nikon only made it for one year or so. But that's all I really know.

Quote Originally Posted by Manik View Post
    I know my mom had a Nikon when she was in her teens, she showed it to me a few years back, but I haven't seen it since.

I love the look of these old cameras though.

Just thought I'd ask...that 50mm on there, thats still an excellent lens by todays standards right?
    I dunno, to tell you the truth. My father has no other lenses for it. He had it, but he never really used it all too often. Add the fact that I know nothing about cameras, new or old, then I really am clueless about that lens. Maybe other members can help you?

I was wondering about that too actually. What's the best conditions to use the lens in?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I was wondering about that too actually. What's the best conditions to use the lens in?
    I think I can answer this. This lens has a really wide aperture, allowing more light to enter the frame, resulting in faster shutter speeds. Which makes this lens great for low light situations. Also, the fact that it's a prime lens, or a lens with a fixed focal length, it will be able to produce sharper photos than you're conventional zoom.
    My Photography: flickr.com/photos/a-m-photo/
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."

I've only been a "car photographer" for a few years now as I've only owned a camera (my 20D) for a few years. So, I've always been digital.
    Last edited by pat_ernzen; 03-10-2008 at 11:19 PM.
    www.Desert-Motors.com - mag.Desert-Motors.com

Way back I used to use a basic 35mm Pentax point and shoot for my car show pictures. Before digital, that's about the extent of my photography.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    You'll notice a significant difference in picture quality when using the old one, much better than digital.
    Well, that really depends on the digital camera you have been using...
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

I have a Nikon FG which was made in 1982, FM2's began in 1983. Good camera's both.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis View Post
    Well, that really depends on the digital camera you have been using...
    Offcourse but speaking in general, I find the pictures taken on film much more "alive" and "speaking". Dont really know how to describe it in English..

i was using a praktica with carl zeiss 55 mm lens for two years before i was able to buy a digital and had lots of fun with it. i say learn how to use it, it'll train your skills for digital photography as well
    12 cylinders or walk!

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    Offcourse but speaking in general, I find the pictures taken on film much more "alive" and "speaking". Dont really know how to describe it in English..
    Yes that's why I see all professionals change rolls of film every 36 shots on the trackside or show floor.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I am the same as a few people here. I got into photography once digital was already in full swing. I use my Dads Fujifilm Finepix S7000 when i am at home. I don't have a camera of my own so while i am at Uni its just my phone camera.
    He also has a Pentax which looks similar to the Nikon in the original post, thats quite cool, haven't used it much though.
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

Thread Information