Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blu-Ray too small?

Blu-Ray too small?

Quote Originally Posted by Eurogamer

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is so big that it wouldn't even fit on a Blu-ray disc properly.

That's according to series creator Hideo Kojima, who told Famitsu that cuts and compression were necessary despite having 50GB with which to play.

"For us, we're not still not satisfied with the quality we can do. You know, there's not capacity space," he told Famitsu in an interview partly translated by Kotaku.

Asked to clarify, he added: "There's not enough space at all...There's not enough space. We always talked about where to cut and what to compress."

Last week, the assistant producer Ryan Payton told the Kojima Productions podcast that the Japanese voice-over would not be included on the America and European disc due to space issues.

Then again, that Blu-ray does have to hold both Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots and Metal Gear Online.

As announced last week, Metal Gear Solid 4 will be released on 12th June worldwide, with a beta test for the Metal Gear Online - due at the same time - set for late April.
    Format war won by Blu-ray, only to find that the capacity is too low?
    I can hardly imagine what kind of content they are planning. I always thought Gears of War was a bit heavy on the high def textures, and that only took up half a DVD. What is Kojima planning? A million levels??
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

Quote Originally Posted by Suka View Post
    Format war won by Blu-ray, only to find that the capacity is too low?
    I can hardly imagine what kind of content they are planning. I always thought Gears of War was a bit heavy on the high def textures, and that only took up half a DVD. What is Kojima planning? A million levels??
    Quite simply, Japanese game creators are known to be über perfectionists, and Hideo Kojima is one of them. I read a few interviews that confirmed this fact...

At worst they could always include a second Blu-ray disc (!), one for MSG4 and another 'expansion' one to play MSG Online. Manufacturing costs ftl though...
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

True but going over 50GB is a lot of data to process. I hope they get the coding right for the PS3, it would be such a shame for it to experience FPS problems like Assassins Creed.
    Just call me Tom

since when is 50GB too small for a disc? its already been clarified that kojima has stated the only way that they couldnt fit MGS4 onto blu-ray was if they included both the japanese and english languages for the characters. If anything, its brilliant to know that developers are making use of blu-ray as the true next-gen disc for games.

Put it this way. If they were to try and make MGS4 for 360, it'd look something like this:

This is like Holden building a 1000HP engine only to have a car architecture that can handle 600HP, Why would you?.

I'm an MGS fan of the past and i would hate to be told there was a game i couldn't play because they went over board and forgot some of the market.

Snake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik View Post
    since when is 50GB too small for a disc? its already been clarified that kojima has stated the only way that they couldnt fit MGS4 onto blu-ray was if they included both the japanese and english languages for the characters. If anything, its brilliant to know that developers are making use of blu-ray as the true next-gen disc for games.

Put it this way. If they were to try and make MGS4 for 360, it'd look something like this:

Calm down, no need to stamp all over the 360 every chance you get.
    Just call me Tom

Well Blu is still the best way to go... most space of any consumer optical disk out there...
    ...Utah! Get me two...

software people have to stop complaining about hardware being incompetent because it is themselves that are dealing with stupidity

write code that doesnt take up that much space, tardlings

this is why so many electronics go obsolete so damn fast, hardware technology is being stretched way too damn much.i guess its how they make money but w/e's
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

I read an interview with Hideo Kojima somewhere on the net in which he said that they had an early build of MGS4 running on a 360, so making the full game run on a 360 wouldn't be too hard. Would be interesting to see though of course since the current game wont fit on a Blu-ray disc.

I also read that using some fancy laser and writing technology an American University had fit something like 70GB of data onto a HD-DVD...that would have been cool.
    Just call me Tom

Calm down, no need to stamp all over the 360 every chance you get.
    no, just wouldnt want the thread to make out that blu-ray isnt good because the news would suggest so without its reason. But kojima has stated ever since i think it was E3 2006 that they have no plans to port MGS4 to the 360. the little metal gear mkII is even controlled by a sixaxis in the game itself so you wont see that on 360

just like to end speculation before it starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik View Post
    no, just wouldnt want the thread to make out that blu-ray isnt good because the news would suggest so without its reason. But kojima has stated ever since i think it was E3 2006 that they have no plans to port MGS4 to the 360. the little metal gear mkII is even controlled by a sixaxis in the game itself so you wont see that on 360

just like to end speculation before it starts.
    Oh right.

No i was just astonished at the amount of high def images ad such like they must be using to fill out 50GB.
    For example a good res image at 2657 x 4000 is like 2 or 3mb in jpeg so it just makes me think of the massive library of textures used.
    Can't wait for it btw, been looking forward to my mate buying ever since we watched the trailer.

roflcopter @ the first images that come up when you search google images for High Res with safesearch off. Typical internet...
    Just call me Tom

There is a better format out there. I just don't remember the name of it. It was on a Howstuffworks article.

Yeah, the PS3 is beginning to get better games out now. About time!

I also read that using some fancy laser and writing technology an American University had fit something like 70GB of data onto a HD-DVD...that would have been cool.
    Quad-layer Blu-ray discs: TDK has them.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    I think that was the same sort of technology that they used with the HD-DVDs. They did it with Blu-Ray aswell and got some stupid capacities.
    Just call me Tom

So they can't fit it on to a Blu-Ray disc because they're putting extraneous stuff on to them? Why the hell were they even planning on putting the Japanese language track on English language market games anyway?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Thread Information