Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Automotive Enthusiast Stereotypes.

Automotive Enthusiast Stereotypes.

Do you guys think that when you say your an automotive enthusiast that other people assign stereotypes to you? Reason I'm asking is because I'm doing a presentation on stereotypes in todays media and can only think of a few that face automotive enthusiasts.

For example, people automatically think The Fast and The Furious is my favorite movie.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang View Post
    For example, people automatically think The Fast and The Furious is my favorite movie.
    Ugh, tell me about it.

Everyone knows 2 Fast 2 Furious is the better film...
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

I'd say I get stereotyped a lot for driving my mustang, luckly most of the stereotypes really dont apply to me lol
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

Yeah, but not that bad. They just sort of are always like "Oh, it's a car, go figure it is Zach".

What I have found is worse is when I say I listen to metal. Apparently people think that "metal" always means 3-6 screaming guys throwing instruments at each other, which really annoys the hell out of me now and then.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Hmm, 16/17yr old, likes cars, must like everything with fat exhausts, huuge stereo systems and driving like a twat. Errr no, not me.
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

No kidding! Its bad enough to say your an engineer but to say your into cars launches you into a world of clarifications. I have given up bringing it up and only really discuss my love of cars with those that ask. I dont know whether the problem is that not enough people are really into cars or that is just frowned upon by those not into it.

So the answer is yes to stereotypes being applied. Fortunately my best friends understand its just the same as them being into music or any other hobby.
    autozine.org

Maybe that they think global warming caused by humans is a hoax, we are polluting and not ecologically conscious, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ View Post
    Yeah, but not that bad. They just sort of are always like "Oh, it's a car, go figure it is Zach".

What I have found is worse is when I say I listen to metal. Apparently people think that "metal" always means 3-6 screaming guys throwing instruments at each other, which really annoys the hell out of me now and then.
    i have the same problem when i say i'm into metal. when it comes to cars everyone assumes that i spend all my time listening to car engine nois...........oh wait, scratch that one
    "When I see an Alfa Romeo go by, I tip my hat." - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ View Post

Stereotypes are probably that I must know everything about cars, because I study AE. Which is so not true. Girls absolutely hate it too, especially because I love to talk about it

A much more annoying stereotype is that of my musical taste, Trance and Techno. It is commonly associated being music for gay or nerdy people.. Quite annoying at times.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    A much more annoying stereotype is that of my musical taste, Trance and Techno. It is commonly associated being music for gay or nerdy people.. Quite annoying at times.
    What is wrong with being gay or being a nerd?
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Of more importance is the question "what's not wrong with Drakkie?"
    Erm, I dunno really, not too many people talk to me about it, but I get told i'm obsessive and when i'm lookin for Car mags, others are talking about having sex with the girls on the covers above (Cheryl Cole - drool); unfortunately they make jokes about me preferring a well lubricated exhaust pipe .

people assume i street race. except the cops, luckily. they'll always pull over the jap import instead of me for 'random' breath tests etc
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I have never heard of that stereotype for trance and techno. I have however, heard that all the acid/exstasy people listen to it and play it loud at raves, hahaha. Not quite the nerdy scene, for sure.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

i don't like to say i am into cars, they think i DO love fast and furious and so on...then a could say i am studying automotive engineering...and i would be dead.
    Fortunately my girlfriend is into cars and she is studying the same course...and she is also into fashion, so she's not a fast&furious girl...oh folks, i'm in love...
    btw, even a lot of people who are into cars are nerds, as you said, imo. so i understand that i couldn't hope to appear simply as a guy with a good interest/passion without explaining me for about...a couple of days. for example, take soccer/football. i hate it, because in italy it is a sort of virus, people are doing the craziest thing every sunday and i have to pay taxes to send cops at the stadium to control them...so when i find a guy who likes football i think immediately it is the common stupid italian guy...and maybe he has a good attitude to football, even if i couldn't believe him...
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Thread Information