40. You may not vote on this poll
  • M5

30 75.00%
  • M3 Sedan

10 25.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BMW M5 vs. M3 Sedan

RE: BMW M5 gets a manual gearbox

old news perhaps but judging by people here its not a predictable predicament.
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Chaps, it's old news...

Sniff Petrol issue 78

It's funny because it's true. BMW dealers really hate manual cars. When I told my BMW dealer that I wanted to trade in the 645 I bought in NY for an M6 they were thrilled; first thing they asked was if was black on black, I told them it was black and tan and they said that was okay too. When they saw it was a stickshift they almost died. My dealer said that in the last year of the hundreds of cars they sold only about six were manual transmission; no 5s, no 6s, no X3s, no 3 Sedans, one 3 Cabrio and the rest were 3 coupes or M3s.

I'm not sure how it is in Europe, but stick cars are seriously on the decline. In Los Angeles you need to work really hard to find a Porsche that's not chick-tronic or a Ferrari that's not F1. I suspect the clutch is going to go the way of non-syncho transmissions. RIP.

I'd always prefer a manual, unless it's in an RS6 or something where the idea of *foot down* BOOM! Serious seamless acceleration.

If I were in the market for a used Porsche, a Tip-tronic would only ever be an acceptable option, for me, if I lived and worked in central London but went out to the country on weekends.

I think there seems to be a trend these days, people getting lazy and specifying autos, my cousins Z4 is auto, she didn't spec it though, why would you want an automatic sports convertable living in deepest darkest Surrey/Berkshire where there are some really nice roads?

No offence Nic but I was actually surprised to see you, an American with a manual, it seems stereotypical that Americans only do Auto. Good on you! (And badda... and Quiggs... etc) I was also really surprised, when I went to Bramley, that both their F430 Spiders with 6-speeds.

I wouldn't have an M5 full stop, I just don't like them. I'd only have an M3, coupe at that, don't like the saloon. I'd take a manual M3 Coupe in white with black or red leather, thanks.
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    It's funny because it's true. BMW dealers really hate manual cars. When I told my BMW dealer that I wanted to trade in the 645 I bought in NY for an M6 they were thrilled; first thing they asked was if was black on black, I told them it was black and tan and they said that was okay too. When they saw it was a stickshift they almost died. My dealer said that in the last year of the hundreds of cars they sold only about six were manual transmission; no 5s, no 6s, no X3s, no 3 Sedans, one 3 Cabrio and the rest were 3 coupes or M3s.

I'm not sure how it is in Europe, but stick cars are seriously on the decline. In Los Angeles you need to work really hard to find a Porsche that's not chick-tronic or a Ferrari that's not F1. I suspect the clutch is going to go the way of non-syncho transmissions. RIP.
    In Europe the manual is on the decline too.

However manuals are infinitely more popular than (perhaps) anywhere in the world. In the A, B and C segment they reign supreme, wheter premium or not.

In the D segment automatic start to gain terrain, especially in premium brands but I'd say that manuals still have the upper hand. In the E segment autos start to have an advantage, but you can still find plenty of manuals. Above it must (almost) be 100% autos.

As for sportscars you can find many manuals in Porsches for instance, while in Ferraris the flappy paddle gearboxes are very popular.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Bmw M5

Í'd have the BMW M5 in alpine white or monaco blue with black tinted windows and the head up display

BMW M5 wagon. With a manual of course.

Assuming that I know how to drive a manual transmission car.

Now if the wagons were available in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    I'd always prefer a manual, unless it's in an RS6 or something where the idea of *foot down* BOOM! Serious seamless acceleration.

If I were in the market for a used Porsche, a Tip-tronic would only ever be an acceptable option, for me, if I lived and worked in central London but went out to the country on weekends.

I think there seems to be a trend these days, people getting lazy and specifying autos, my cousins Z4 is auto, she didn't spec it though, why would you want an automatic sports convertable living in deepest darkest Surrey/Berkshire where there are some really nice roads?

No offence Nic but I was actually surprised to see you, an American with a manual, it seems stereotypical that Americans only do Auto. Good on you! (And badda... and Quiggs... etc) I was also really surprised, when I went to Bramley, that both their F430 Spiders with 6-speeds.

I wouldn't have an M5 full stop, I just don't like them. I'd only have an M3, coupe at that, don't like the saloon. I'd take a manual M3 Coupe in white with black or red leather, thanks.
    Don't praise me yet. I caved and got my M6 with SMG.

you've got an excuse, the M6 is SMG only
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    Don't praise me yet. I caved and got my M6 with SMG.
    I was about to congratulate you, but no dice now.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

The manual M5 is GARBAGE. It is slower than the non-manual and BMW programmed it so you won't be able to go full-tilt on take off because apparently the manual is fragile.

I repeat, the M5 manual is GARBAGE. I've driven it; and I love both manual cars and BMW's...especially manual BMW's....but I HATE this manual.

Was this when you were test driving vehicles and decided to settle on a Mazda Tribute?
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    Was this when you were test driving vehicles and decided to settle on a Mazda Tribute?
    No, I've never been in the market for an M5 before. I don't have a family of my own yet so I don't have to own a compromised sports car.

So why was there play equipment at your house?

If the M5 is compromised what have you selected in it's place?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by IBrake4Rainbows; 03-19-2008 at 12:35 AM.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    So why was there play equipment at your house?

If the M5 is compromised what have you selected in it's place?
    I've already explained this.

But with the cars, I have nothing in its place. I do not feel I need to spend on such an expensive vehicle at this point in my life.

I have a Mustang for now.

Quote Originally Posted by -What- View Post
    The manual M5 is GARBAGE. It is slower than the non-manual and BMW programmed it so you won't be able to go full-tilt on take off because apparently the manual is fragile.
    So it's a few tenths slower in a straight, who gives a toss? And Mitsubishi did the exact same thing for the EVO 8 and 9.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Thread Information