40. You may not vote on this poll
  • M5

30 75.00%
  • M3 Sedan

10 25.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BMW M5 vs. M3 Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    So it's a few tenths slower in a straight, who gives a toss? And Mitsubishi did the exact same thing for the EVO 8 and 9.
    No, NO!!!

The 6 speed just "isn't right" in the M5. It doesn't feel like it was built for the car. If I can feel the difference in power, something is wrong. The 6 speed M5 sucks, and I'm not just talking about straight line speed. Its INVOLVEMENT sucks.

No, your involvement sucks.
    Do you not think its just a little slower because it takes longer to press the clutch, shift, get the revs right and lift your left foot?
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    I was at the BMW dealer where I bought my car today and I saw a new M3 Sedan going for 20K over list and totaling 90k. Last time I priced out an M5 it was at 92K. Which would you rather have?

Also for my own curiosity, what colour would you get your car in?
    Maybe a bit off topic. I see this a lot that you can actually buy cars over list price in the US. How come and why would you ever do that ?
    Here you can either order it at list price (+ a small discount) or you can get a discount on cars they have in stock. But I've never seen a car that's priced above list price...

Is that because they're import and you're only getting a small number (sounds logical with something like Lotus, but with BMW ? BMW is common)? Or is the same on domestic cars.
    Last edited by Lagonda; 03-20-2008 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    Maybe a bit off topic. I see this a lot that you can actually buy cars over list price in the US. How come and why would you ever do that ?
    Here you can either order it at list price (+ a small discount) or you can get a discount on cars they have in stock. But I've never seen a car that's priced above list price...
    If you haggle you can even get new cars for under the list price.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    If you haggle you can even get new cars for under the list price.
    I know, I edited my original post while you posted this

We got our brand new Phaeton for 15k below list

I know, I edited my original post while you posted this

We got our brand new Phaeton for 15k below list
    In a Citroen dealer I was offered a brand new C6 2.7 HDI with a 14 grand discount.

Shame I couldn't afford it still...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    No, your involvement sucks.
    Do you not think its just a little slower because it takes longer to press the clutch, shift, get the revs right and lift your left foot?

No, read here.

Quote Originally Posted by Car and Driver
    You've heard the old maxim about being careful what you wish for, and here's another vindication for its persistence. When the latest M5 came along, we were properly awed by its 500-hp V-10 but critical of its seven-speed sequential manual gearbox (SMG), an automated manual transmission. On a dry racetrack, its lightning shifts are beyond reproach. But on public roads, in full automatic mode, it's a different story, with big lags between upshifts. A logbook commentator reported that he "tried to leave it in auto mode but just couldn't stand it."

So BMW responded with a six-speed manual-gearbox option, which we've been anticipating for a year. Yes! This'll push the bad-boy Bimmer a big step closer to perfection. We thought.

Uh-oh, not so fast. This M5's shift-for-yourself six-speed is the same six-speed employed in the previous-generation M5. The new M5's V-10 was designed to be allied with the seven-speed SMG. Bolting the same engine to the six-speed entailed a proviso. With the SMG, the driver had the option of disabling the dynamic stability-control (DSC) system. When you opt for the manual, you don't get that option. A little dashboard button labeled MDM — for "M Dynamic Mode" — raises the DSC intervention threshold, but unlike the SMG version, it can't be completely shut down and is always on guard. When wheelspin is detected, DSC goes to work, damping the throttle, sometimes squeezing the big cross-drilled brake rotors.

Would you be surprised to hear that this doesn't have a positive effect on acceleration? Or lap times on the Streets of Willow? Or making a hot exit from a slow corner? Of course you wouldn't. Because that's precisely what happens. This M5 was a half-second slower to 60 mph than the SMG version we tested in January 2006 — 4.7 versus 4.2 — and a half-second slower through the quarter-mile: 13.0 seconds at 114 mph versus 12.5 at 118. DSC also inhibited lane-change performance (60.8 mph versus 65.6) and skidpad results (0.83 lateral g versus 0.89).

All of this is attributable to product-liability issues, specifically, concerns about axle tramp, a.k.a. wheel hop, during full-throttle launches, which could break expensive drivetrain bits and irritate the well-heeled owners BMW would prefer to keep happy.

On the other hand, when those owners want everything their M5s can deliver, DSC's relentless vigil is going to be pretty irritating, too.

Is that because they're import and you're only getting a small number (sounds logical with something like Lotus, but with BMW ? BMW is common)? Or is the same on domestic cars.
    "I have to have the first one before anyone else does and I have to have it now and I don't care what it costs me!" That's the American way.

Not me though. I almost never buy a car the first year it comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by -What- View Post
    No, NO!!!

The 6 speed just "isn't right" in the M5. It doesn't feel like it was built for the car. If I can feel the difference in power, something is wrong. The 6 speed M5 sucks, and I'm not just talking about straight line speed. Its INVOLVEMENT sucks.
    I've never driven an M5 or M6 with a stick so I have no idea. The SMG ranks just above the horrible gas milage as my least favorite things about the car and I can't wait for the DCT. Plus the auto mode is terrible and I almost never use it.

As much as I love it, the clutch is going the way of the non-syncho gearbox; both are tremendously fun but simply not practice in today's world.
    Last edited by NicFromLA; 03-20-2008 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by -What- View Post
    No, read here.
    I'd say the difference in acceleration has more to do with the difference in gearing between the 6 and 7 speed boxes. And there probably is a way to switch off the DSC. You're not supposed to be able switch it off in a Toyota Aurion but there's a way to do it, there's just not a button marked "Off".
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

I'll go for M5.

"The new 2005-2007 M5 features some of BMW latest innovations including a new head-up display, a new iteration of BMW's EDC (Electronic Damper Control), which constantly adjusts the suspension to environmental and vehicular conditions, and can also be set in three modes, comfort, normal and sport. Furthermore, the new M5 also features the VANOS variable valve timing system, and EMC (engine management system) which sports the most powerful computer processor currently approved for automobiles, the MS S65 processor. This processor also controls and measures many other now 'standard' safety and performance systems such as the DSC (dynamic stability program), which incorporates traction control as well as various other mechanical and electronic systems."
    Last edited by Wouter Melissen; 04-11-2008 at 05:45 AM.

nah M3 sedan. It was made for the 6-speed and kind of makes the uglier M5 seem like overpriced and overweight (not that it is a light car either but better nonetheless). Plus if you want you can order the M3 without all the iDrive nonsense.

Thread Information