Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Gran Turismo 5: Prologue high def screenshots

Quote Originally Posted by F1_Master View Post
    You're right that it has a piss poor damage simulator, but that doesn't hurt the fact that the driving physics are highly improved from GT4, and can rival Forza 2's.
    Forza 2? LOL! It better blow that away.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    Forza 2? LOL! It better blow that away.
    For all the hype and hope that is riding on GT:5.........it damn well better. I have no doubts it'll be the best game in the series so far, I'm just skeptical about Polyphony's ability to get it here before something equal or better steals my attention span away.

I will agree with a few posters in here. GT:5 needs to do more than just provide better graphics, more tracks, and better physics. It needs to upgrade the experience. I have owned and played all four GT games and never made it past 50% completion on any. The experience of the game just becomes stale and repetitive after a while. This is one of the reasons Forza stole me away from GT4........real consequences for misjudging a wall or competitor, and the ability to somewhat make each car really your own. Those two simple things go a looong way towards making a racing game like this playable over the long term.

I just think there's alot riding on GT:5. Yea, Prologue is awesome....but I don't want to be stuck playing a demo (or even an upgradeable demo) for the next 3 years waiting for the final product to arrive. And when it does, I don't want to find out that it has 1/3 of the cars that GT4 had and that 50% of them are just variants of RX-7's, Skylines, or Supras. The make/model lineup better be balanced and not saturated with cars that no one will spend much time playing around with.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBlood147 View Post
    For all the hype and hope that is riding on GT:5.........it damn well better. I have no doubts it'll be the best game in the series so far, I'm just skeptical about Polyphony's ability to get it here before something equal or better steals my attention span away.

I will agree with a few posters in here. GT:5 needs to do more than just provide better graphics, more tracks, and better physics. It needs to upgrade the experience. I have owned and played all four GT games and never made it past 50% completion on any. The experience of the game just becomes stale and repetitive after a while. This is one of the reasons Forza stole me away from GT4........real consequences for misjudging a wall or competitor, and the ability to somewhat make each car really your own. Those two simple things go a looong way towards making a racing game like this playable over the long term.

I just think there's alot riding on GT:5. Yea, Prologue is awesome....but I don't want to be stuck playing a demo (or even an upgradeable demo) for the next 3 years waiting for the final product to arrive. And when it does, I don't want to find out that it has 1/3 of the cars that GT4 had and that 50% of them are just variants of RX-7's, Skylines, or Supras. The make/model lineup better be balanced and not saturated with cars that no one will spend much time playing around with.
    So true. The immersion level has never been that good in the series but the in-car view will go a long way to help that.

Another important aspect of immersion is how much controller customizing you can do to help you to connect to the game to get the most out of the experience.

Sorely lacking in previous GT series games is the ability to adjust brake/clutch/steering sensitivity and parameters. Number of AI cars and choices. Setup changes in the chassis didn't have that much effect on the car. Lack of inertia effect.

These things that keep you involved and keep you exploring the depth of the game just haven't been there....because the the formats have been shallow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    And so what? Games are made so that you can enjoy them.

If you want a sim get in a car and drive.
    The point of the game is to allow you to do things in a virtual environment that you wouldn't otherwise be able to do in real life. Trust me, if I could jump into an MC12 Corsa and hit the Nurburgring, I would!

That doesn't mean that games have to be completely ridiculous though. Realism is a must for me with racing games, unless they make a particular point of being impossibly crazy, like the "Burnout" series of games.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

played GT5P last night and was very much impressed. Dynamics felt more refined than Forza, but not that much different i felt. Replays are so much better with descent camrea views. Graphics were possibly better but it was hard to tell. LOVE the in-car driving view, brings so much more realism to the table. Im a massive forza fan but GT is where my heritage lies and it'll be interesting when Froza 2 comes out to see who takes the crown.
    RUF CTR Yellowbird is what dreams are made of

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    The point of the game is to allow you to do things in a virtual environment that you wouldn't otherwise be able to do in real life. Trust me, if I could jump into an MC12 Corsa and hit the Nurburgring, I would!

That doesn't mean that games have to be completely ridiculous though. Realism is a must for me with racing games, unless they make a particular point of being impossibly crazy, like the "Burnout" series of games.
    I agree. However I can't quite see the point of having a steering wheel and pedals to play the "ultimate" racing sim.

For me games are supposed to be fun and enjoyable not overtly complicated things that would put to shame F1 teams telemetry and hightecness.

Altough that's probably just me...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I agree. However I can't quite see the point of having a steering wheel and pedals to play the "ultimate" racing sim.

For me games are supposed to be fun and enjoyable not overtly complicated things that would put to shame F1 teams telemetry and hightecness.

Altough that's probably just me...
    agreed, forza and gran turismo offer enough sim to be a challenge but enough arcade to be intuitive and fun.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

So, who prefers playing GT5 (or GT4) with a steering wheel? Is playing with the Playstation pad just as enjoyable as using a steering wheel for GT4 and GT5?
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Quote Originally Posted by john14 View Post
    So, who prefers playing GT5 (or GT4) with a steering wheel? Is playing with the Playstation pad just as enjoyable as using a steering wheel for GT4 and GT5?
    GT4 with the G25 = million miles away from the experience of playing with the DS2.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

ever since i bought an xbox and then xbox 360 the ps2/ps3 controller feels weird. but i have a wheel and it is definately worth it, i think its easier and alot more rewarding.

steering wheel is definitely the way to go to play racing game.....anyone who plays a "sim" with gamepad and made comment about physics and handling are kidding themselves.....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

for some reason i just can't use a gaming wheel. i think because most of them have shit feedback, for me it actually damages the 'realism'. i actually find it easier for my mind to translate wheel movements to an analogue stick (would like to try the wii mote..) than a faux wheel.
    that said, maybe if i tried a top of the line wheel i'd have a decent experience.
    but then i can't really take race sims seriously either, i'd probably need an ideal setup to appreciate it
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

GT4 + DFP is decent, though nowhere near DFP on any of the good PC game....you can definitely tell when the wheel gets "light and funny" when you get to over the peak of self-aligning torque....which is really the most important infomation to get out of a force feedback wheel(and real car) when driving...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Looks pretty awesome, better than GT4 i hope

Thread Information