Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pontiac G8 Sport Truck Pre-Production 2008

Pontiac G8 Sport Truck Pre-Production 2008

PONTIAC INTRODUCES SEGMENT-BENDING G8 SPORT TRUCK

NEW YORK – The 2010 Pontiac G8 sport truck blurs the line between cars and trucks and is creating an all-new segment in the North American car market. This dramatically different vehicle blends the sporty handling of a performance coupe with the cargo capabilities of a light truck.

Based on the all-new Pontiac G8 performance sedan, the newest member of the G8 family has a longer wheelbase and a cargo bed suitable for either work or recreation. The G8 sport truck significantly stretches Pontiac’s commitment to style and performance and is expected to arrive in dealers’ showrooms in late 2009.

“Pontiac has never shied away from offering segment-defining vehicles, going back to the original GTO,” said Jim Bunnell, Buick-Pontiac-GMC general manager. “There’s simply nothing else like the G8 sport truck on the road today, and we definitely believe that there are customers who will be excited by its distinctive design, performance and cargo capabilities.”

Consumer named

Another unique aspect of this new vehicle is the fact that it will be named by a consumer. Beginning today (March 15, 2008), consumers can visit www.pontiac.com/namethiscar and submit their name ideas. “As an important part of the G8 family, we know that ‘sport truck’ doesn’t fully describe the vehicle’s ability to blur the lines between sports car and truck,” said Craig Bierley, Pontiac marketing director. “Because its fans will surely be as unique as the vehicle itself, we’re giving them a voice in selecting a name that reflects its appeal.” The winning entry will be announced April 15.

Design

The G8 sport truck maintains the same sporty exterior design as its namesake sedan. Flared fenders wrap around the 18-inch wheels and give it a wide, confident stance. The roofline has a coupe-like profile that reflects the vehicle’s performance pedigree.

The doors, roof and exterior panels aft of the B-pillars are unique from the G8 sedan. One-piece outer body panels give the vehicle a sleek appearance. Wrap-around taillamps and fully concealed tailgate hinges add to the sculpted look. A color-coordinated, soft tonneau cover conceals and protects items in the cargo bed from the weather.

Performance

The sport truck draws its strength from the same powerful 6.0L V-8 engine used in the G8 GT. It puts out 361 horsepower (270 kW) and 385 lb.-ft. (522 Nm) of torque. The combination of a six-speed automatic transmission and Active Fuel Management technology provides both car-like fuel economy and an unexpected 0-to-60 time of 5.4 seconds.

While these performance numbers are respectable by sports car standards, the G8 sport truck offers flexibility unlike that of a sports car. A 73.9-inch (1878 mm) cargo bed has 42.7 cubic feet (1208 L) of cargo space and a durable composite bed liner. It also can carry a payload of more than 1,074 pounds (488 kg) and tow a 3,500-pound (1,600 kg) trailer.

Structure

The G8 sport truck is based on the same rear-wheel-drive architecture as the G8 performance sedan. However, the sport truck’s body structure was reinforced in key areas to support its cargo and towing duties. More than 60 new components were added to strengthen the structure. Compared to the sedan, the 118.5-inch (3,009 mm) wheelbase is approximately four inches longer and the overall length is six inches longer.

Suspension and wheels

A four-wheel independent suspension with electronic stability control delivers confident handling, whether loaded with weekend home-improvement supplies or towing a pair of personal watercraft to the lake.

The steering box is located ahead of the front axle line for a quick, direct feel. The sport truck’s front stabilizer bar is one mm larger than the sedan, and the rear suspension has been enhanced to support payloads without adversely affecting handling.

The G8 sport truck rides on 18-inch machine-faced aluminum wheels with a P245/45R18 summer performance tire. All-season tires are available. An optional Sports Package includes 19-inch machine-faced aluminum wheels with P245/40R19 summer performance tires.

Brakes and steering

The sport truck shares the G8 GT’s four-wheel disc brake system, featuring 12.64-inch front and 12.76-inch rear rotors. Front rotor thickness is 1.0 inch, while the rear rotors are 0.87-inch thick. Twin-piston, front alloy calipers and vented rotors and single-piston, alloy rear calipers with vented rotors are standard, as is ABS.

Comfort and convenience

Given its heritage, it’s not surprising that the G8 sport truck offers many of the same creature comforts as the G8 GT, such as:

* Air conditioning with electronic dual-zone climate control
    * Cruise control
    * Driver Information Center
    * Bluetooth connectivity
    * Tilt/telescoping steering wheel with DIC and radio controls
    * Power windows/locks/mirrors
    * Remote keyless entry and remote start
    * Theft-deterrent alarm system

Fully-bolstered, four-way adjustable cloth seats are standard. Heated, six-way leather seats are available. They can be customized with two-tone, black-and-red inserts and a coordinating gauge cluster.

Behind the seats is a surprisingly large interior cargo area with more than 8.5 cubic feet (245 liters) of storage space. There are two covered storage compartments beneath the load floor and a pair of cargo nets.

Sound system

The G8 sport truck’s 230-watt Blaupunkt AM/FM/six-disc CD changer has an MP3 input and five speakers. The 6.5-inch audio display controls both the sound and climate control systems.

Safety and security

A full list of safety features are standard, including:

* StabiliTrak electronic vehicle stability system
    * Tire pressure monitoring system
    * Dual-stage frontal air bags with a passenger sensing system
    * Head-curtain side air bags
    * Side thorax air bags
    * Three-point safety belts in all seating positions
    * Safety belt pretensioners
    * OnStar
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Pontiac G8 Sport Truck #2
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Yes, yes and YES! An American 'ute!! Finally a new El Camino and its not ugly like that God-awful Chevy SSR. Hillbillies everywhere will rejoice.

These are going to sell like hot cakes. Every Australian and New Zealander has known that if a Commodore or Falcon got sold in America, Americans would be going nuts for them...

Where do I sign up?? That'd be the best Shuttle/Whistler truck ever. Two bikes, a ride buddy, food and water... I really dig it.
    UCP's BSG Nerd and a resident Freerider.
    flickr page:http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaru72/

we get a ute but the front end looks far worse than it does when it's attached to the sedan

Its laughable. To me it looks just like the old El Camino. However, the numbers are respectable, expecially the payload capacity. I would be a fan if they managed to 1. make it a 4 seater and then 2. made it midengined.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
    Its laughable. To me it looks just like the old El Camino. However, the numbers are respectable, expecially the payload capacity. I would be a fan if they managed to 1. make it a 4 seater and then 2. made it midengined.
    Err, what? That would be the most pointless vehicle ever invented.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Pontiac just answered a question no one in America asked. Furthermore, why don't they shit-can the Pontiac division and just call 'em Holden here too- since all they're doing these days is slapping a Pontiac grille on a Holden. Think of the advertising dollars they could save.
    ...Utah! Get me two...

Quote Originally Posted by nopassn View Post
    Pontiac just answered a question no one in America asked. Furthermore, why don't they shit-can the Pontiac division and just call 'em Holden here too- since all they're doing these days is slapping a Pontiac grille on a Holden. Think of the advertising dollars they could save.
    I dunno. There seems to be a big following for the El Camino. So it might be popular. The only thing is, with gas prices so high, it'll only rise higher.

For how much longer will high powered, high displacement cars be popular in America and Australia?

Makes no sense to continue the trend. I certainly love power and I certainly welcome the higher quality, way more exciting Australian cars in America though.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I dunno. There seems to be a big following for the El Camino. So it might be popular. The only thing is, with gas prices so high, it'll only rise higher.

For how much longer will high powered, high displacement cars be popular in America and Australia?

Makes no sense to continue the trend. I certainly love power and I certainly welcome the higher quality, way more exciting Australian cars in America though.
    There's always the V6 versions. And some of the more basic versions might be popular there as well with tradies who don't need a big full on truck like an F250 or similar.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

I find it confusing that they are importing the HSV sedan but not the HSV maloo?

Why just the SS ute?
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

I've never really been a fan of Pontiacs (except for a teenage crush on a Trans Am WS6.) But the G8 Ute is smoken'. Might need to trade in the pickup soon.

I thought the Solstice coup turned out well too.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    I find it confusing that they are importing the HSV sedan but not the HSV maloo?

Why just the SS ute?
    Well they only started off sending the plain Holden Commodores, probably just waiting to see how well received the ute is before committing to send a Maloo-spec ute.
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
    Too late:
    1/. See below
    2/. Where would the mid engine go?
    and
    3/. If it was mid engined, how could you ALSO have a payload?
    I'm not real sure what you want

Thread Information