Thread: Beetle Drag Racing

Beetle Drag Racing

“The Beetle is widely used in drag racingits rearward (RR) weight distribution keeps the weight over the rear wheels maximizing grip off the starting line. The car's weight is reduced for a full competition drag beetle, further improving the grip and also the power to weight ratio. Combined with the beetle's RR layout, wheelies can be achieved easily, but time "in the air" worsens 1/4 mile time due to drag. To prevent this, "wheelie bars" are added.”
    Last edited by Wouter Melissen; 04-11-2008 at 05:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronyoung View Post
    “The Beetle is widely used in drag racingits rearward (RR) weight distribution keeps the weight over the rear wheels maximizing grip off the starting line. The car's weight is reduced for a full competition drag beetle, further improving the grip and also the power to weight ratio. Combined with the beetle's RR layout, wheelies can be achieved easily, but time "in the air" worsens 1/4 mile time due to drag. To prevent this, "wheelie bars" are added.”
    Wonderful...

I was thinking the same thing, lol. Nice random car fact dude.

I find it very impressive that you can quote a story.

Are we meant to discuss this? or are you just showing off your quoting skills?
    Miscommunication seems to be a direct result of misplaced, text based sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Mustang Fan View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, lol. Nice random car fact dude.

I find it very impressive that you can quote a story.

Are we meant to discuss this? or are you just showing off your quoting skills?
    I will admit though, he is quite good at quoting things.
    Previously know as "Rotary.freak"

Quote Originally Posted by Type17 View Post
    I will admit though, he is quite good at quoting things.
    lol, I see hes made about three 3 threads with quotes in them. Theres also a post I spotted with a quote in it, He is good.
    Miscommunication seems to be a direct result of misplaced, text based sarcasm.

GIVE THE KID A BREAK!

We were all fledglings once.

I'll add to Aaron's post that most who race near-stock Beetles fit specially-made Heavy-weight flywheels to give a hefty dollop of urge off the line, putting that rear-engine layout to best use, though they pay for it on the rest of the strip.

Also, another Beetle fun-fact: Did you know that Ferdinand Porsche tasked S.S. Troops with performing torture-tests on the Beetle prototypes?

NO SHIT! Saw that one on "Hitler's Henchmen: Porsche: The Engineer" on the History Chanel! It follows Porsche's "fit for the purpose" theme to perfection, über-alles!

they say the good Doktor could build a hell of a tank, too, but bygones are bygones and I really, really wish we could just all let ze Germans' history become the 20th century's ugliest footnote. I mean, it's not as though anybody at the head of modern motorsports is still humping these embarrassing and antiquated NAZI ideals, is it?

Errr...
    I'm erudite ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by LandQuail
    they say the good Doktor could build a hell of a tank, too, but bygones are bygones and I really, really wish we could just all let ze Germans' history become the 20th century's ugliest footnote. I mean, it's not as though anybody at the head of modern motorsports is still humping these embarrassing and antiquated NAZI ideals, is it?

Errr...
    Hahahaha, What a great way to start my morning! Thanks for the laugh LandQuail!

Another fun fact that the bettle anticdotadly is said to be able to float upon adolfs requeast the reasoning behind it is unkown but it was said that to test this theory they put his oldest son in the car and cast it off to prove it.

Wether this is true or not is a completly diffrent story its a pub story and i though it was kind of funny after a couple of jugs of spirits.
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

jugs of spirits > research

and 'Quail's not being cynical on this statement. He believes it to be true.
    I'm erudite ;-)

Thread Information