Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on E46 M3

Quote Originally Posted by jump15vc View Post
    Why were they disappointed?
    basically not as good as they'd been told it would be - magazine review are over-rated i guess.
    as an indication, one ended up buying a supercharged S2000 instead, the other has ordered a maserati gran turismo.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    basically not as good as they'd been told it would be - magazine review are over-rated i guess.
    as an indication, one ended up buying a supercharged S2000 instead, the other has ordered a maserati gran turismo.
    Well, if you've got the money for a Gran Turismo, it's kind of a no brainer over an M3. Don't know about a supercharged S2000, but to each their own, I guess.
    Last edited by wwgkd; 04-19-2008 at 11:56 PM.

Get a 930 Turbo, its what im looking at getting...

why the hell does everybody want a fricken bmw? they are over priced for what you get and the reliability is crap. when you need to repair something (which happens on a monthly basis) it costs much more than it should, simply because it says "BMW" on it.
    I think "Koenigsegg" is Sweedish for "OH NO, MY HEADS JUST EXPLODED!"

If you can still see the cops,
    you're not going fast enough.

everybody? you mean like the 1-3 people on this site expressing an interest in the nicer models? get a f*cking clue.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by koenigseggccx View Post
    why the hell does everybody want a fricken bmw? they are over priced for what you get and the reliability is crap. when you need to repair something (which happens on a monthly basis) it costs much more than it should, simply because it says "BMW" on it.
    You're quite wrong on pretty much everything.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

German engineering?
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

coz their great ****en cars. reliability crap????get of the junk brother. If you buy an M3 you should expect higher than normal servicing costs anyway. Their in the same boat as 911's and i can tell you their alot cheaper to service. stock or worked they have shit loads of potencial
    RUF CTR Yellowbird is what dreams are made of

Oh, yeah, they're great cars.

You know they're a great car because they've got a unique appeal Most people who want a Boxster also want, to a more or less equal extent, a Z4 or a S2000, or to a lesser extent one of the new-gen SLKs.

If you want a Corvette, you probably also want a Shelby Muskrat GT500 or its ilk.

The M3 is, and always has been, one of those trump card cars; if you want one, nothing else beats one.

A 911 is the same way, as is a Lotus Elise or a Nissan Skyline — though everyone's personal list is different, this 'Quail thinks most would include these three, and I'm not even opening the Ferrari worm can.

If you want an M3, I'd say avoid the cabrio and try to find a CS or (whisper it) a CSL. You're right. The Newest and Best is the new V8 M3 and it's driven down the price of the run-out model, but it's constructed of unobtanium, as far as the most of us are concerned, and might not be the best driver's car of the lineage.

If you want to pull the 'purist' card, find an unmolested '86-'93 E30 M3. I understand that they're few and far between these days, but most of the examples that survive have been either cherished and well-kept or returned to something like their former glory.

The E36 M3 is regarded by some auto journalists as a better balanced car, but by god the E46 does look so damn good and runs like the proverbial striped-ass goose—that is to say, fast.

That said, the 98-03 E39 M5 is regarded as one of the all-time great M-cars. It's a big ole' 400-horse V8 grizzly bear with the reflexes of a fleeing antelope, and you'd have no problems getting your golf clubs in there with room enough room left over for Colin Montgomerie's ego.

'Quail's known quite a few folks with E39 M5s, and they're all top-notch gearheads. 'Quail's known a couple sorority girls with E46 M3s. 'Nuff said?
    I'm erudite ;-)

mmmmmmm the E39 M5. slightly more than a M3 but the sound, ohhhh the sound. a definite personal fave
    RUF CTR Yellowbird is what dreams are made of

Quote Originally Posted by h22a View Post
    Their in the same boat as 911's and i can tell you their alot cheaper to service.
    not in my experience..not by a long shot.

Wow, I had not even thought of the E39 M5, thanks for that LandQuail, its priced similarly and it looks amazing, it's a tough decision between that and the M3, I would look at a boxster or Z4 but they don't fit my needs, I need something discreet, the M3 is about as outlandish as it can be since my dad is putting up most of the money and I have to convince him that the car is safe and practical, so cabrios and 2 seaters are out for the most part. If I cant get a bimmer my next option may be an S4, I'm not a fan of audi styling but the performance is good, however I would prefer a rwd car.

One of my main objectives is to buy a car that will help me become a better driver, I consider myself a pretty good driver but I want to improve my car control and performance driving so I think rwd is important for that.
    -Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless.

-I thought the blacks in Baltimore were bad, shit, they’re nothing compared to these fags you got here in San Francisco…haha.

-Kenny Powers

^ power is not important for becoming a better driver... maybe get a 330 coupe or something instead and save some money for later?

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    ^ power is not important for becoming a better driver... maybe get a 330 coupe or something instead and save some money for later?
    Not only that, but for learning wouldn't a slow car be safer, since you can experiment at less dangerous speeds?

Therefore a 318i should do.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

i like the way you think. perhaps a 318d?

Thread Information