View Poll Results: What should be the 2008 engine of the year?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nissan's 3.8-litre twin-turbo V6

10 22.73%
  • Mitsubishi' 2.0-litre twin-turbo I4

3 6.82%
  • Audi's 5.2-litre V10

7 15.91%
  • Chevrolet's 6.2-litre supercharged V8

4 9.09%
  • BMW's 4.0-litre V8

20 45.45%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2008 International Engine of the Year Awards

2008 International Engine of the Year Awards

The five nominees are as follows:
    Nissan's 3.8-litre twin-turbo V6 (found in the Nissan GT-R),
    Mitsubishi's 2.0-litre twin-turbo I4 (Mitsubishi EVO X),
    Audi's 5.2-litre V10 (Audi S8),
    Chevrolet's 6.2-litre supercharged V8 (Corvette ZR1) and
    BMW's 4.0-litre V8 (BMW M3).

Last years winner was BMW's twin-turbo 3.0-liter inline-6.
    Announcements will be made may 7th at the Engigne Expo in Stuttgart. Untill which motor gets your vote?
    Last edited by Dantera22B; 04-18-2008 at 12:19 PM.
    "When I see an Alfa Romeo go by, I tip my hat." - Henry Ford

The 1.4 engine used in the VW Polo. Possibly also other models, but not sure. Wondering why there are only large displacement engines in this, whilst the largest technological gains have been made in the smaller engine area..

Hard to say since I haven't driven any of them. The V10 in my M6 won, but I find the engine to be my least favorite thing about my car. It gets horrible gas milage, eats oil at an absurd rate and lacks the muscular feeling of the V8 in my 645Ci. That being said I've heard the M3's V8 fixed most of those complaints.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

It looks like the contest was set up by the combined sparkplug manufacturers...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I think I'll also go with none...

What are the rules for the nominations?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

A very limited range... they all have a fairly large displacement. But I've heard good things about BMW 4L V8.
    Miscommunication seems to be a direct result of misplaced, text based sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I think I'll also go with none...

What are the rules for the nominations?
    I don't think there are any other than the year the engine is first released/produced. Looking back a the previous years it seems that BMW seem to win more categories than most.

Although i can see the BMW engine winning the top award although personally i would like to see it go to Nissan for all the reviews of the GT-R say that the engine is an encredible piece of engineering.

Here's a link to a list of previous winners.
    Last edited by Dantera22B; 04-18-2008 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantera22B View Post
    I don't think there are any other than the year the engine is first released/produced. Looking back a the previous years it seems that BMW seem to win more categories than most.
    that would not explain why the Prius engine was selected as the most economical one over the past three years....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

The five nominees are as follows:
    Nissan's 3.8-litre twin-turbo V6 (found in the Nissan GT-R),
    Audi's 5.2-litre V10 (Audi S8),
    Chevrolet's 6.2-litre supercharged V8 (Corvette ZR1) and
    BMW's 4.0-litre V8 (BMW M3).

Last years winner was BMW's twin-turbo 3.0-liter inline-6.
    All these engines are

high cost
    high performance
    high complexity
    high consumption

Relevancy?

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    All these engines are

high cost
    high performance
    high complexity
    high consumption

Relevancy?
    the same as when the Mercedes 450SEL 6.9 and the Porsche 928 won the ECOTY of the year awards....

by the way, the 1.4 liter Fiat Tjet engine was also nominated...as well as the BMW 123d engine and the Subaru diesel boxer...
    Last edited by henk4; 04-19-2008 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    that would not explain why the Prius engine was selected as the most economical one over the past three years....
    good point

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    by the way, the 1.4 liter Fiat Tjet engine was also nominated...as well as the BMW 123d engine and the Subaru diesel boxer...
    Now you see those are interesting. Especially the diesels.

The engines nominated, not only have all the tributes nota mentioned, but also can be considered a bit deją vu, don't you think?

And if they wanted to nominate high performance engines, then why not nominate the interesting new turbocharged flat six from Porsche with the variable geometry tubos?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

wat?
    Where can you get an Evo with 2 turbos?
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    All these engines are

high cost
    high performance
    high complexity
    high consumption

Relevancy?
    Well, some people do find a reliable, quiet, high mpg and low cost engine extremely fascinating and spend days dreaming about them. A lot of us though, want something that flattens your eyeballs when you floor the pedal and rumbles/roars/screams to taste in the process.

Most of the revolutionary technology in engines, as in all things, starts at the top and trickles down, so when we vote here it is really for the future of the internal combustion engine and the transportation of mankind as we know it...

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Now you see those are interesting. Especially the diesels.

The engines nominated, not only have all the tributes nota mentioned, but also can be considered a bit deją vu, don't you think?

And if they wanted to nominate high performance engines, then why not nominate the interesting new turbocharged flat six from Porsche with the variable geometry tubos?
    Good call. I've seen variable geometry turbos in large truck diesels for years and I don't understand why it hasn't been showing up more in sports cars. How did this technology go to big-rigs and pickups before making itself more popular in high performance cars first?

Between variable valve timing and variable vane geometry it may finally be possible to if not completely fix then at least greatly decrease some of the problems with forced induction. Well, I'm sure a lot of you don't have as big a problem with it, but I'm of the purist naturally aspirated (ala McLaren F1) school and hate turbo lag, among other things.

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    Good call. I've seen variable geometry turbos in large truck diesels for years and I don't understand why it hasn't been showing up more in sports cars. How did this technology go to big-rigs and pickups before making itself more popular in high performance cars first?
    Variable geometry turbos have a hard time when fitted to petrol engines because the exhaust is much hotter. Only recently did the material technology become cheap enough to justify making VGTs for petrol engines.

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd
    Between variable valve timing and variable vane geometry it may finally be possible to if not completely fix then at least greatly decrease some of the problems with forced induction. Well, I'm sure a lot of you don't have as big a problem with it, but I'm of the purist naturally aspirated (ala McLaren F1) school and hate turbo lag, among other things.
    Current turbocharged engines tend to have zero lag and flat torque curves that make large american V8s envious
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

Thread Information