Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitcars

Kitcars

I have one is bits in my garage. have any of you guys built one or building one currently.

more importantly how fast will they be??

I (my dad and me) have a Quantum Extreme, lotus seven-esque.it uses a ford sierra as the donor but only uses a few parts most is brand new/bespoke

its RWD using a 1.8 Zetec E (155-160bhp), twin webers, race cam, dry sump, ignition ecu, custom straight through stainless steel exh thourgh a pinto type 9 gbox.

double wishbones all round on coilovers.

from 280mm vented discs and 9inch rear donor drums

chassis is stainless steel monocoque 90kg

havent bought wheels yet probably deep dish 3 piece 15"x7" on 195x50 tyres

dont really know about final weight
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lots of kit car experience and Suka is currently building a Luego.
    Raced and even RALLIED a Sylva Stryker

With a tuned Zetec that will be very VERY quick.
    What rear diff you using ? The biggest problem with the 7esques is getting the power down and keeping ti all in a straight line ! If you are going to do serious track or competition then suggest getting an LSD
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

donor sierra diff ha. i know what u mean but dont really have enough for an LSD still need wheels and tyres which will prob be between £600 - £800. prob will be a roadcar. can u uprate the diff internals i guess its a plate diff??

Yeah, my Luego isn't making much progress right now.
    I never really like the Quantum Extreme, i liked how people tried to change the design of the normal se7en but i always felt that Quantum went the wrong way. They do make some good cars though hey Peter...
    I think the Quantum comes in at just a little heavier than the Luego so will be a bit more than the featherweight 600kg of mine.
    I am looking to go Zetec once i can afford the insurance and the performance will see you at 60mph in around 3.5 seconds and on to 150mph maybe more.

Edit: Just want to clarify that i think the Extreme is a great car. I re-read what i wrote, sounds like i think its rubbish!!
    Last edited by Suka; 04-20-2008 at 02:26 PM.
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

cool thanks that gives me a figure im my head.i get what you mean but i like it. oh and we got the yellow grp body. hopefully some black wheels will suite the yellow and polished stainless v nice

I almost bought a yellow car, but then since it will be used as a summer car it will become a bee/wasp/small insect magnet. Went for red in the end, Luego's GRP supplier said they have never done a nicer gel colour on their body panels. I asked for a very specific RAL number...
    Just call me Tom

Quote Originally Posted by jugga View Post
    donor sierra diff ha. i know what u mean but dont really have enough for an LSD still need wheels and tyres which will prob be between £600 - £800. prob will be a roadcar. can u uprate the diff internals i guess its a plate diff??
    You won't have any LSD unless you managed to steal a Cossie donor
    However there are lots of compnaies producing replacement internals for the Sierra diff as it was used in so many race/rally/kits.
    Not cheap but for example raceline can do LSD internal for about £600.
    You don't need expensive wheels yet, so save that till later and get the diff
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

thanks will remember that. the wheels will finish the look of the whole car and gettin nice light and wide ones will make it damn quick. so prob will sort wheels first, also we got all the donor parts through quantum, we didnt ask for wheels so it will need some. unfortunately my alloys on my car wont fit as a temp being different stud pattern and eta. what wheels ahve you guys bought used??

i was looking at superlight and image, quite expensive but v nice!

cheers

Built a Tiger R6 together with classmate's on my school. Fitted Peugeot 2.0 HDi Engine in it at the moment. Quite a beast honestly. Will report more after school, gotta take a run tot the bus to make it in time.

Ok. The long awaited (?) update. I study Automotive Engineering on the University of Rotterdam. We mostly have theoretical classes but we also build some vehicles. We were "ordered" to build up the Tiger R6 which was sitting in the workshop in parts. We were divided into teams of 10 people and built the thing in about 7 months, building 1 day a week.

At first we put in a 2.0Litre Ford Sierra engine which proved to be difficult to match to the gearbox (6speed, straight teeth short shift box). We pulled it out and tried a 2.5 Turbo engine lying around in a corner. It matched the box perfectly but was very difficult to fit inside the car, it fitted only just. Other parts like the radiator etcetera did not fit anymore. A week later one of our teachers arranged a DW10 engine from the Peugeot Research Centers that wasn't used anymore. It came with a sporty box allready and fitted in quite well Sounds like a lot of extra effort for nothing ? Yeah, true. But that's how (our ?) teachers usually work..

Anyway the car is nearly completed now. We are waiting for a new ECU that can cope with some modifications we made to it. It allready drives, which I also did a few times, but the engine doesnt run too well, a bit rough. It's a real bitch to drive to be totally honest, but great fun Unfortunately driving it means bruised legs for me as I can barely fit inside. The steering wheel is jammed against my knees and my hips are squeezed together against the sides and everything.
    Last edited by drakkie; 04-21-2008 at 04:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jugga View Post
    thanks will remember that. the wheels will finish the look of the whole car and gettin nice light and wide ones will make it damn quick. so prob will sort wheels first, also we got all the donor parts through quantum, we didnt ask for wheels so it will need some. unfortunately my alloys on my car wont fit as a temp being different stud pattern and eta. what wheels ahve you guys bought used??

i was looking at superlight and image, quite expensive but v nice!

cheers
    I have 4 Compomotive CXT wheels on my car. Dad and I always use Compomotive wheels on our cars, he has a set of MOs on his Libra.
    Just call me Tom

j, the wheels will lokk great for sure ... BUT will not make as big a difference as suspension and drivetrain setup.
    PS: Wider tyres are even WORSE with no LSD

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    j, the wheels will lokk great for sure ... BUT will not make as big a difference as suspension and drivetrain setup.
    PS: Wider tyres are even WORSE with no LSD
    how come?? yeh i know what you mean bout having everthing good but seening as we dont have any wheels we may as well get it right first time.

drakkie - i do formula student at uni to which we make/develop a single seater. and its sure a tight fit with me in it. racing cars arent made for tall ppl .

Wide tyres, lots of traction .... so when one of them lets go the other has so much grip that it'll spin up the un-loaded wheel faster than you can shake a stick
    Then you're going nowhere and worse if mid corner you'r exiting OFF the black stuff
    Remeber you're goign to buy LOTS of different tyres ( and possibly wheels ) during your ownership. Get the drivetrain right first
    Also, remember you can always run cheap, ratty, kerbed, second-hand alloys to start with

ooo looks like i can make the show next wkend. gotta fit it around electronics cwk

Cool, maybe see you there.
    I have a spare camping ticket for the show now. My friend dropped out and all my other mates are either back at uni or working next weekend. Sucks. £25 down the drain...
    Just call me Tom

Thread Information