Thread: good model size for beginner?

good model size for beginner?

gday all,
    yeah i feel like doing a model of some car i cant afford and I am wondering whats the best scale to do for a person who has alot of experience with(building, painting, detailing etc.) model aircraft but has never done a car

cheers in advance,
    Ben

1/2 scale. Works out well if you use a motorbike engine and welded tube chassis.

(sorry, I'm bored at work and feeling particularly sarcastic)
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Hmm... well, there is no right size, just don't buy anything in a box that feels small in your hand.

Also keep in mind the size of the regular car. For example, my Lotus Seven came in a tiny box, whereas my Supra is in a significantly larger box, yet it's only slightly bigger. Moral of the story?
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    Also keep in mind the size of the regular car. For example, my Lotus Seven came in a tiny box, whereas my Supra is in a significantly larger box, yet it's only slightly bigger. Moral of the story?
    Lotus Sevens come flat packed?

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Lotus Sevens come flat packed?
    More like a thin box of chocolates.

And yes, I concede defeat. Shoulda said Tamiya. :P
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

size is actually not too important, but 1/24 is the most common. What does matter in car building, contrary to airplanes, is being able to do a proper paint job of the body, taking ample time of cleaning it, removing mold lines, grounding/sanding and finally putting on the real paint, in several thin layers and then again sanding and polishing until you get a deep shine with no orange peel.
    Try this first on cheap models of curbside kits.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I find 1:18 being easiest to work with, but henk4 is correct with 1:24 being most common.

A long time ago I used to build model cars. 1/18 or 1/24 scale is pretty good, and Tamiya is a pretty good company to get it from.

I really should start building them again.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    size is actually not too important, but 1/24 is the most common. What does matter in car building, contrary to airplanes, is being able to do a proper paint job of the body, taking ample time of cleaning it, removing mold lines, grounding/sanding and finally putting on the real paint, in several thin layers and then again sanding and polishing until you get a deep shine with no orange peel.
    Try this first on cheap models of curbside kits.
    More important than scale is to choose something that really interests you. If you're interested in modern street machines, 1/24 is best represented. For modern F1, 1/20 would be the choice. By far the scale with the most choices is 1/43.
    I disagree with henk4 about paint not mattering on airplanes tho! It's true that while the technique for gloss paint is somewhat different than for flat paint the key to a successful model is a smooth, error free finish.

Quote Originally Posted by sexton626 View Post
    More important than scale is to choose something that really interests you. If you're interested in modern street machines, 1/24 is best represented. For modern F1, 1/20 would be the choice. By far the scale with the most choices is 1/43.
    I disagree with henk4 about paint not mattering on airplanes tho! It's true that while the technique for gloss paint is somewhat different than for flat paint the key to a successful model is a smooth, error free finish.
    Hi, and welcome to the forums. Yes you are right about the 1/43 scale as the one with the most choices. However I would not recommend it for starters, as many kits are resin based.
    As far as airplanes is concerned, of course a proper paint job is essential, but I have hardly seen a glossy war bird...matte paints are much easier to apply then gloss ones, and I would not recommend a starting builder to go the Alclad road straight away...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

In my oppinion it depends on which scale aeroplanes did you built. If you did make 1:72 you can start with 1:43 or greater - if 1:48 better the 1:24. The great difference between aeroplane and car will be the paintjob of the body. The perfect "wet-candy" shine is an absolute MUST for cars !
    P.S.: Sorry for my poor english.

Thread Information