Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Certified ZR1 Numbers!

Certified ZR1 Numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by Car And Driver
    2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 Certified for an Outrageous 638 hp, 605 lb-ft - Car News

Official horsepower and torque figures prove even higher than the estimates. We bow low to GM’s powertrain gods.
    BY ALISA PRIDDLE, PHOTOGRAPHY BY RICHARD PRINCE
    April 2008

As if there weren’t enough superlatives surrounding the 2009 Chevy Corvette ZR1, we learn General Motors undersold the grunt of its most expensive and most powerful production Corvette ever.

We were already enthralled as we dreamed of an estimated 620 hp at 6500 rpm and 600 lb-ft of torque at 4000 rpm from its supercharged LS9 6.2-liter V-8. Not so fast, says GM to anyone wed to those impressive figures—it’s actually more powerful!

Having completed SAE certification for the first factory-built Vette with forced induction, the true numbers are a dizzying 638 hp and 604 lb-ft of torque. Do the math and that’s nearly 103 horses per liter, or just about 1.7 hp for each of the engine’s 376 cubic inches. Well worth the expected hundred grand price tag (or about $110,000 for the loaded 4LZ trim level).

GM says it has not completed its fuel economy testing, but engineers assure us it will be “the most fuel-efficient 600-plus-horsepower car on the market.” We actually thought it was illegal to put the words ‘fuel efficient’ and ‘600 horsepower’ in the same sentence—and given that enthusiasts likely will be willing to maim one another for one of only 2000 ZR1s (all with handmade engines) to be built a year, we suggest anyone who asks about mpg be immediately disqualified from ownership.
    This snorting beast goes on sale in August or September.
    More than expected. I approve.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Mmyea... it's pretty powerful.. I guess..

638 HP!!!! if it can corner properly then im sold
    If you want to do something wrong, do it right

I'll take an all-black one please.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

They also tested it at some high-speed ring and got up to 205 mph.

here's another link too. Corvette ZR1 Certified at 638hp - GM Inside News Forum

Im sure it will be able to corner, the standard z06 corners just fine so you gotta assume the zr1 will handle good also.

im surprised about the 205. i read in road and track they got the z06 up to the high 190's (198ish) i would think that 100 extra horsepower would be good for more than a few mph but 205 is still pretty sweet and i know there's a lot more to top speed than hp.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    here's another link too. Corvette ZR1 Certified at 638hp - GM Inside News Forum

Im sure it will be able to corner, the standard z06 corners just fine so you gotta assume the zr1 will handle good also.

im surprised about the 205. i read in road and track they got the z06 up to the high 190's (198ish) i would think that 100 extra horsepower would be good for more than a few mph but 205 is still pretty sweet and i know there's a lot more to top speed than hp.
    As speed doubles, drag squares, so it takes lots of horsepower at that upper end for a small increase
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Going to be interesting,

BTW .... .... another example of a US citation for hp/l
    Years of devotees sayign it doesn't matter, it doesn#t matter but as soon as the 'vette can do over 100hp/l then it gets mentioned
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Going to be interesting,

BTW .... .... another example of a US citation for hp/l
    Years of devotees sayign it doesn't matter, it doesn#t matter but as soon as the 'vette can do over 100hp/l then it gets mentioned
    It's also supercharged....

Curb weight (full gas tank and all fluids) 3324 lbs
    Dry weight 3155 lbs
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fisetdavid26; 04-27-2008 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Someone can't learn to use the attachment system even if told a billion times. kthxbai.
    "As I walk through the valley of rice I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me and the enemy is fat."

I love the "close ratio gearbox - 65mph in first gear!"...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Attachment System Please!!!
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    That's pretty much like all close-ratio gearboxes on powerful cars. Long 1st to get up to speed, then 2nd -> 6th close packed together. Though this will undoubtedly be 2nd -> 5th close, then moonshot 6th. If you don't have the long 1st with close-ratio box, you'll limit the top speed.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    That is even better than a '68 Dodge Charger R/T with 426 Hemi (that did 63 mph in first gear with a 3.23 rear axle ratio and automatic trans).
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Odd that, like Matra pointed out, GM again makes a big deal of pointing out the fact that this engine is just north of 100HP/L.

I thought the idea of specific output was something that didn't matter

Anyways GM should be thrilled. They raised the bar and created a new level of Halo car while still maintaining a great bang-for-buck value.

Think about it, you can get it fully kitted for an est. 110,000USD and you get 638HP for that (alittle over 172 bucks per HP) and more importantly some of the biggest most hardcore brakes.

I can finally say that I would be proud to have a ride in or drive a ZR1.

BTW: I know that technically the Z06 is even better bang-for-your-buck value but it has some other issues that I think the ZR1 handles. IMO the ZR1 is deserving of the Supercar moniker aswell as being drive-everyday friendly.
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

Thread Information