Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First Car - Ford Capri

Quote Originally Posted by adamfraser View Post
    ...and how many 17 year old UK men can you say you know who own their first car outright with no financial help - I dont know any!
    Me me me me me

Sounds awesome Adam, from when Fords were actually really desirable. 1.6 should see you having some decent fun, Capri's are RWD aren't they?
    Glad to see it's got the nice alloys, ancthracite powder coating them would make it look sublime. Not to sure about the brown body work though but then how many people could say they own/owned a brown car in this day and age?

Keep us posted!
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Nice project Adam.
    I would budget to put a 'new' engine/gearbox in pretty soon. The Capri was always a let down lacking power and it didn't have enough to get itself out of the kind of trouble the dubious handling woudl get it in to.
    I'd recommend getting the body floor and uinderneath cleaned and then review the whole project again. You might find more welding on the sills, chassis and floor pan than you think
    Hope not, woudl be nice to see it in green and anthractie. I like it
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    Me me me me me

Sounds awesome Adam, from when Fords were actually really desirable. 1.6 should see you having some decent fun, Capri's are RWD aren't they?
    Glad to see it's got the nice alloys, ancthracite powder coating them would make it look sublime. Not to sure about the brown body work though but then how many people could say they own/owned a brown car in this day and age?

Keep us posted!
    Cheers, yes they are RWD - got some body products to try on the maroon colour - looks alright when it's shiny.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Nice project Adam.
    I would budget to put a 'new' engine/gearbox in pretty soon. The Capri was always a let down lacking power and it didn't have enough to get itself out of the kind of trouble the dubious handling woudl get it in to.
    I'd recommend getting the body floor and uinderneath cleaned and then review the whole project again. You might find more welding on the sills, chassis and floor pan than you think
    Hope not, woudl be nice to see it in green and anthractie. I like it
    Cheers Peter, dont really want to think about new engine/box but I agree, it does have to be taken into consideration, it's done alot of miles.

I'm going back up tomorrow to doublecheck everything, the floorpan wasnt even on my mind to be perfectly honest - realised after though! Looked at the chassis rails under the bonnet, absolutely no rust, and straight as hell, so it's a promising sign.

The green and Anthracite is lovely, I can see it turning into one of these projects that just keep going and going.

(Saw a 2.9 Cosworth V6 on eBay for £500... very tempted but would have absolutely no chance on getting insurance on it.)

Heres another view of the Green/Anthracite. As you can tell I was bored on photoshop yesterday!

(Other pic is too big, forgot to resize it, so attachment only)

Some other things are on my mind too - at the moment if it goes i the garage I will only have 8 inches of clearance... it's going to be tight! So may have to invest in a cover or something. We'll see.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by adamfraser; 05-04-2008 at 04:05 PM.

The project is good - like it. And what is good for you is that you don't (at least, I think so) want to load it with modern parts, but with it's time ones - so the original style wouldn't be affected... just my humble opinion . Enjoy it)

pah ..... look what you coudl have ...

But it's not all bad................

Snowman Rally this year finished FIRST (in class) ..... 50th overall.

YouTube - Snowman Rally 08 Capri Take Off

Nearly a local too - Duncan MacGregor from Inverness - get along and get some advice

more ............ YouTube - RALLY MOVIES - Ford Capri Rally Action 2002/03
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 05-05-2008 at 12:18 PM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Nice.

Waiting for you to post the story up.

Drop a V8 in it.

I am brand new to Ultimate Car and this is my first post. The Capri was one of my favourite cars. I have not seen one for such a long time. I am so happy to hear that you found one. Your Dad must be smiling.

The green and antracite looks good. Do it. Now.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Cheers folks -

The story goes that I restored an old 3.0s with my cousin many moons ago, loved them ever since, wanted a 3.0s but didnt want to even think about the insurance!

The green and Anthracite does look good, if it was going to be resprayed it would be a full engine out, interior etc, none of the cheap spray-over-the-front jobs.

Peter, stop putting my ideaas into my head! (The rally-driving has crossed my mind though...) And that red/silver Capri is horrid. Really.

Well I went back up last night, she's all mine now, got the keys on the desk and the old MOT certificates and a Haynes manual - The car is still at the guys house, waiting for a trailer to come free.

So I took a few pictures... it was a kind of really low light and was only handheld, so had to use flash, apologies for the crap pictures. But hopefully some of you can give some advice.

So the main bits of rust are on the bonnet. I'm in 2 minds over this, cut out most of the rust and filler it in, or just replace the bonnet and respray the whole thing that green colour. The filler is cheaper (as I am a bit tight for cash at the mo), and the respray wouldnt be until a few months anyway, probably about half a year so... difficult decision. I think i'll just cut it out and filler it for now, just as peace of mind until I can source a replacement in the same colour.

There's also rust on the bumpers, but I am going to get them sanded down, evened out and powdercoated, so that isnt a problem.

There was really bad rust patches on top of the doors, the guy who I bought it from has tried to cut most of this out, and fiberglassed over the top of it, theres a bit left but that shouldnt be a problem.

Engine bay, the rust is mainly on the side lip, I'm woried by the right strut mounting so I'm going to get a professional onto that, I noticed new strut tops on eBay ut involves cutting into metal and rewelding, but we'll see.

And finally the interior, straight from a 2.8 Injection, I'm in love. Retro-cool.

So that's my plan of action, get her running and through an MOT, and get her insured. Then the real fun starts!

Gunmetal grey is also an option.. this one has a larger Xpack kit on it too...

Last edited by adamfraser; 05-06-2008 at 10:19 AM.

perhaps a minor engine conversion would help too...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Nice car Adam, retro!!

and henk, if he puts that engine in without doing anything to the rest of the car, the first time he takes off full throttle will look alot like a Benny Hill episode
    Driver for Ultimatecarpage.competition
    Team Manager of Ultimatecarpage.competition

NGT Champion ZAC2 League
    Team Champion ZAC2 League
    NGT Champion ZAC3 League
    Team Champion ZAC3 League

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Visser View Post
    Nice car Adam, retro!!

and henk, if he puts that engine in without doing anything to the rest of the car, the first time he takes off full throttle will look alot like a Benny Hill episode
    a minor item, I would say,,,
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Haha, takeoff would be interesting in that thing with that engine... stick some cardboard on it and you never know, could maybe fly...

New bonnet is going to cost me £175...

Thread Information