Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uglier: Dodge Durango or 745i's trunk?

Uglier: Dodge Durango or 745i's trunk?

'Quail spent most of his Friday on or near The Road To Damascus (Arkansas).

There was one hell of a tornado just north of Damascus, Arkansas, and gravity will win out on levity, this time, because three people died just north of Damascus, Arkansas. Among the things I saw while on or near the Road To Damascus were several newish Dodge Durangos, one Bangle-era 7-series BMW—from the rear and a young (and attractive) mother desperate to find her missing four-year-old daughter. One of these three turned out to be the most painful for this 'Quail; PM me to learn the Awful Truth that's got this 'Quail breaking his vow against drunk-posting.

ANYWAY,

My home county relies heavily on Dodge Durangos for fleet vehicles for the Fire Chief/District Fire Cheif/Office of Emergency Management Coordinator/you need to go off-road but we don't want to put you in a pickup truck positions.

I was trying to talk my way onto a flight of the Faulkner County Sheriff's Office's 'Nam-era Kiowa helicopter when the new Faulkner County Office of Emergency Management Coordinator (the old one looked a little like a bearded John Ritter; the new one looks like Demi Moore, interestingly) drove by in her assigned Dodge Durango.

I said to the Sheriff: "Those new Durangos are about the ugliest damn things on the road," at which point the County Judge, Preston Scroggin (one of the finest men I've ever met) walked up with perfect comedy timing and said, "Those Durangos are just great."

And they are just great for fleet service. Mopar has only had a half-century to perfect that 318ci engine and, to their credit, they've made it one of the most reliable engines on the planet (though 80s Dodge Rams will forever sound like a beer can rolling down the road because they didn't put a crease in the middle of the "flanks" body panels).

POINT IS:
    Which is uglier: The entirety of the new Dodge Durango or the ass-end of Bangle's 7-series BMW?
    I'm erudite ;-)

Here's two pics that 'Quail feels best represent each car:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm erudite ;-)

Well, if your vehicle was designed to function and does a great job of that, who cares how it looks. I haven't seen the new Durango, but its gonna be hard to beat the whale-of-a-trunk on the 7 series for uglyness

edit- pics just came up, 7 series trunk is uglier IMO.
    Last edited by SolidStradale; 05-02-2008 at 08:56 PM.
    "There is no doubt about when people began racing automobiles. It was the day they made the second one." - Richard Petty

All Throttle, No Bottle

It's a tie?

Duragno
    having driven a 7, i love it!
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

One is the unhappy culmination of America's desire for a vehicle with the space of a minivan, the in-your-face style of a custom racer and the rugged individualism of a monster truck.
    The result: We don't know what the **** we want and we wind up with vehicles that look like this.

The other is inexplicable. It's as if BMW read all those "White is the new Black" turn-of-the-new-century articles and decided they meant "Ugly is the new Beautiful."

Our photographer, who is really named Liberty Parks, was driving this tired old 'Quail around the disaster zone when we came upon an early BMW 745.

"Look at this shit!," 'Quail exclaimed. "You spend $70,000 dollars on a luxury Bimmer and you can't cough up the extra few thousand to put the good engine in it?"

"And look at that rear end: It looks like Autistic Children designed it. The taillights don't fit, the bumper barely fits and the trucklid!; the trunklid looks like it was designed by someone who never met the people who styled the rest of the car. It's like the trunklid was designed by Mad Lib, or something."

But the question that comes to me now is:
    Is the entirety of the Durango uglier than the ass-end of Bangle's 7-series?

Quail's of the opinion that the Durango is uglier, though I'd also support arguments that it's a wash.

Your thoughts?
    I'm erudite ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    Duragno
    having driven a 7, i love it!
    You Coolies are all the same...

Of course the seven is the better drive, in much the same way that Kathy Lee Gifford is a better lay than Cathy Bates, but neither of them are Winona Ryder, are they?
    I'm erudite ;-)

Just look at those front fenders (wings) on the Dodge... (s.h..u..d.d...e.r)

But that disintegration on the back of the Bee-Emm... (WINCE!!!!!)

It's just hard to say...
    I'm erudite ;-)

the 7 series has been around for a while now and my eyes are used to it. I'd never buy the durango because is looks like a giant warthog.
    If you want to do something wrong, do it right

While I will say the Durango is uglier, since the chances are quite good that the 650 drives similarly to a 745, I'd only take a 745 if I could sell it for a profit.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

hrm. it is, a hard choice.
    you would think that by having a lesser portion of the car being designated as outright ugly, that the 7 would win. but that's the thing.
    it's not a consistently bad design all round, like the durango. it seems to be a competent design until you walk around to the ass. so i pick the 7; you know what you're getting with the durango, the 7 is a visual ambush of indecent design.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ View Post
    While I will say the Durango is uglier, since the chances are quite good that the 650 drives similarly to a 745, I'd only take a 745 if I could sell it for a profit.
    Come again?
    I'm erudite ;-)

^^ LOL

I like the Bangle butt... I'd love to have one (the BMW 7xx, not the real Bangle butt) in british racing green and multispoke wheels.

It has to be the BMW. If anything Bangle ruined the entire lineup. And the 7er is one of the worst examples. Therefore it has to win.

The Dodge... well nobody cares about it. And anyway Chrysler is going tits in about 15 minutes...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

The 745's truck leaves something to be desired, but the redesigned 750 trunk is gorgeous!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Thread Information