Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My CAD models

My CAD models

I've been playing with Solidworks (mostly engines) for quite a while now and thought I'd post some pictures. After many years of dreaming, drawing and driving I've fallen in love with one car-configuration. So I want to try and model more parts of this. The basic concept is a midengined car. The engine is a 1.5-2.5 litre 120 degree V12 and a very short 6-speed gearbox. The car a about 3.5 meter long and about 0.95 m high. The cockpit is very cramped, maybe single seater. I am not very good at drawing car bodys so I was hoping maybe someone could help. I want the body to look very agile. There should also be lots of curves. The body shall curve to the floor, no sharp skirts, splitters etc. Basically the body should not be aerodynamic like old classics I will post som pictures of some shapes I've made and see what you think. I've shown these to people before and they confirmed it looked bad so I need some help
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nulla tenaci invia est via

More pictures.

Honestly, not a fan of coupes, but the roadster looks very interesting. Great work!

More pictures and pics of the engine on my work desk

More pictures.

Last batch of pictures for now. Please tell me what you think and if you got some ideas let me know and I can make more models.

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    Honestly, not a fan of coupes, but the roadster looks very interesting. Great work!
    Wow. Thank you very much. I also like the roadster very much, but the front is rough and I don't know what to do with the tail. Kamm-tail? Jaguar D-type tail? low or high hips?

nice work. detail in hydraulic tappets is nice. Id be interested to know how personally you go about making cylinder heads in solidworks. Heres a couple of x-sections from SW and ProE from my limited efforts.
    Last edited by jediali; 05-09-2008 at 01:24 PM.
    autozine.org

Nice work. I looked at your other drawings on this forum. Looks very nice.
    The heads... Well right now its a very simple design. I made the sketches in a simple fashion so I can go from 60 degree to 120 degree and from 1.5 litre to 6l without rebuild errors. When I have settled on specifications I will try to make a head with more features and I want to make it as light as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Knuto View Post
    Wow. Thank you very much. I also like the roadster very much, but the front is rough and I don't know what to do with the tail. Kamm-tail? Jaguar D-type tail? low or high hips?
    Don't quite understand the meaning of the word 'hip' in connection with cars - I know it as a human body part .

As for me, I like the first variant, with a prototype-like tail the most

Quote Originally Posted by Knuto View Post
    Nice work. I looked at your other drawings on this forum. Looks very nice.
    The heads... Well right now its a very simple design. I made the sketches in a simple fashion so I can go from 60 degree to 120 degree and from 1.5 litre to 6l without rebuild errors. When I have settled on specifications I will try to make a head with more features and I want to make it as light as possible.
    Thats good sense. I assume you have dimensional relations. Thats a lot of effort, you have my respect. For me to change my designs that much would take a long time correcting each construction step, but I would expect smaller changes (boring/stroke/valve sizes etc) would be slicker.
    autozine.org

Thank you. I use one document for the whole engine and use one configuration for each part. Every dimension is linked and some are controlled with equations. And many geometrical relations. All in all there is 135 dimensions. I attached the sketch for the head.

Would there be any possibility to send the SW files to me perhaps ? I'd love to have a look at them. How far did you go with the needed calculations ? Also those i'd be curious to look through, as it will be my future job and hobby.

I personally also drew a engine, the 1.8L Citroen EW10J4 accurate to the 1/10th of a micrometer using factory data for a school assignment(see thread somewhere) in 30 hours time. Last couple of months I have been drawing a lot of things, from a completely new brake system using new technology, to a bus stop and parts of a chassis with components for my school. We need to do all the calculus in Matlab first before we draw anything.. Very difficult, but a good and stressful challenge.

Nice desk. Last time I saw that it didn't have the ability to levitate engine parts though!

Great work on the drawings. Very interesting way to go about the design by linking all the constraints in equations.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

My desk isn't big enough for the Jag though! I used this model for the Jaguar V12 that I drew for you. I just changed the block a little. I go back and forth from V6 and V12s in all sizes so its very convenient to draw this way.

I attached two pics of the Jaguar V12. The last two are from one of my projects I really want to draw. It will be a head and block in one piece. It should also be very light. But I will get back to that when I have settled for a configuration that works.

I need to calculate the overall weight of the car so that I know I have sufficient power. That means I will modell the chassis, suspension... to get an estimate. Then I will design a complete engine... hopefully

The car is meant to be very light and the engine will rev to about 10000 so the engine will be of small capacity, 1.5-2.5 maybe.

Thread Information