Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My CAD models

I'm gobsmacked Knuto! I even like the roadster-concept I like your take on the block and head in one piece, really interesting... Does anyone here know if there is any major problemes with such a designe?

Thank you very much, Sindre!

Its very hard to machine and get valve seats in. Often you need removable valveguides to get the valves in if the valves are set at a large angle. There is an increased risk of cracking in the area where cylinger meats the roof. Thats just naming a few. I think there is little to gain from this very expensive and complicated design. I guess thats why its not used. The american Offy engine used it in the 60s because engines were prone to blow the headgasket at high boost at that time.

EDIT: I atteched some pics from the game I use to simulate the driving. It's free and called Racer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Knuto; 05-10-2008 at 04:32 AM.
    Nulla tenaci invia est via

Sweet rims, dude

very nice, i find it kinda weird how no one uses catia. keep up the good work.

I will be using Catia soon. At present I'm still on SW07 though. Thats some good designs you've got there, I love the retro curves, especially the roadster. I'm working on something similar myself at the moment, and was wondering if you could help me on something?

I've got the bodyshell I want, but how do I go about getting windows and lights in that follow the profile of the bodywork? I cannot figure this out. I have tried various methods but my model contains some surfaces, some solids, due to my inexperience with the type of freeform drawing it requires, which makes the process difficult.

Attached are the shape I'm working on currently, and my previous road legal LMP car concept

Quote Originally Posted by Kozy View Post
    I will be using Catia soon. At present I'm still on SW07 though. Thats some good designs you've got there, I love the retro curves, especially the roadster. I'm working on something similar myself at the moment, and was wondering if you could help me on something?

I've got the bodyshell I want, but how do I go about getting windows and lights in that follow the profile of the bodywork? I cannot figure this out. I have tried various methods but my model contains some surfaces, some solids, due to my inexperience with the type of freeform drawing it requires, which makes the process difficult.

Attached are the shape I'm working on currently, and my previous road legal LMP car concept
    That looks awesome. I havn't learned myself to make renders like that. Looks really sweet.

Surely I would be glad to help. But I don't understand exaxtly what you mean. Do you want the lights to be flush with the body etc... Same curvature and no discontinuity in curvature...

EDIT: I looked again at the Proto. I see the body is a solid and the fenders are surfaces. Do you want a Fillet between them?
    Last edited by Knuto; 05-15-2008 at 12:34 PM.

The whole body is a solid. I started from a solid block and worked away adding annd removing bits here and there.

What I mean is, as you can see in the other render, the car has no windows, just a canopy. How can I get windows into it? Because it's a surface I cannot seem to do much with it, and it won't thicken for reasons beynong my knowledge. Perhaps my styling angered the CAD gods or somehting, who knows!

Quote Originally Posted by Kozy View Post
    The whole body is a solid. I started from a solid block and worked away adding annd removing bits here and there.

What I mean is, as you can see in the other render, the car has no windows, just a canopy. How can I get windows into it? Because it's a surface I cannot seem to do much with it, and it won't thicken for reasons beynong my knowledge. Perhaps my styling angered the CAD gods or somehting, who knows!
    OK. I see. It sounds very familiar It can be very hard to thicken som surfaces. I think that three surfaces cant meet at one edge if you want to thicken them. And you cant have one surf ending at a surf if you want to thicken both.

I use Surfacetrim with a sketch in Right Plain to remove the window or Parting line with similar sketch to divide the surf in 2 parts, window and roof.

I get you. I prefered modelling the body as a solid however, as it gave more scope for things like the various intakes etc.

Maybe I'll get the hang of surfaces in the future, but at the moment, if the shape can be lofted as a solid object, they seem a little pointless to me.

Finished a Matlab program today. Right now it only calculates roll centre, but the plan is to find roll centre as a function of rideheight.

nice work!
    autozine.org

Nice work Kunto!

Got XJS suspension points programmed in there yet?
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

With the race car I designed, I found the roll centres by setting up a sketch over the suspension to measure all the angles like so.

Thank you

I've thought about doing it like you did. It would be a lot faster, but I wanted to the program so that I can expand it to calculate other stuff, dynamic response, stress etc

Indeed, that would be good. I would like to get hold of ADAMS, as I understand this can simulate the handling of the car? Have you any experience with this?

Thread Information