Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CTS-V Laps the N'Ring

Quote Originally Posted by monaroCountry View Post

May 14, 2008

The Video You've Been Waiting To See

By Ed

We just came back from Germany. As promised, here's the video of John Heinricy's sub-8 minute lap of the Nurburgring's Nordschleife.

To clarify, the car had no performance or operational modifications outside of what we intend to offer in production. We did have a couple of customary safety precautions, as the first goal of our testing is always to keep drivers like John safe. The car had a harness bar upon which a 6-way racing safety belt system was mounted. We also had a fire supression unit on board. These things add a little bit of weight to the car, certainly not helping performance any. Stock tires, too.

We had a chance to mount some cameras on the car and had the benefit of a beautiful day. Enjoy.
    Yeah, right.
    Sparco Evo 3 seats are incredibly light, and easily took some of the weight off that car, even with a harness bar.

Autoblog said something similar, except that it didn't hinder performance.

Either way, it's not a stock Caddy, so why should GM try to throw it in the face of BMW whose time was set by a stock M5? The testing part is fine, but I highly doubt BMW or Audi will care they got beat by a car wearing equipment that just so happens to also be racing equipment.
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    apart from the seat, harness, fire extinguisher and rollcage, the caddy is stock, it even did the time with an auto, so i don't know why you think it's modified.
    Common sense will say otherwise. It has modifications/non-production materials. It's a modified car as far as I'm concerned unless someone wants to test a M5 or RS4 with similar equipment and get a time for them.
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

A common "trick" for many decades on demo/proto cars is for them not to have any of the sound deadening panels fitted -- which are quite heavy.

SO it's not a lie to say it's not been "modified"
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

One could even argue that a trained racing driver in the front seat is a modification that's not fitted to stock models
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    One could even argue that a trained racing driver in the front seat is a modification that's not fitted to stock models
    LOL

Maybe it'll be an optional extra or something...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

..and here he is, THE STIG!!!
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

hienricy the driver is like a 50 something year old super driving ace- he has had the best equipment to trounce all over SCCA racing for YEARS.
    he is good though
    the crazy thing is this car did it on street tires, facotry dealer room spec.
    now i say wow

Quote Originally Posted by F1_Master View Post
    Common sense will say otherwise. It has modifications/non-production materials. It's a modified car as far as I'm concerned unless someone wants to test a M5 or RS4 with similar equipment and get a time for them.
    it's the same spec as what the dealers will be selling apparently, apart from the compulsory safety equipment. obviously BMW and audi never use safety equipment when testing; that is clearly ridiculous. just like that M3 CSL lap time...oh that was lulz worthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    A common "trick" for many decades on demo/proto cars is for them not to have any of the sound deadening panels fitted -- which are quite heavy.
    in the video it all sounds quite refined and quiet so i wouldn't assume that is the case (maybe they did have to remove something to fit the rollbar though?)
    LOL
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Where did it say they used racing seats?

I think the main thing to be concerned about is not whether this car is exactly stock or not (It pretty much is in my eyes - or is close enough). The fact of the matter is the engine is supercharged while all the other ones are naturally aspirated. This gives the CTS-V a massive advantage in the power compartment and it's completely understandable that it would beat things like an M5 as it has significantly more power.

Look at the tags for thread...

Sorry America, I have bad news.
    No car you build will ever be good enough to warrant direct comparison with a German product.
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

Quote Originally Posted by P4g4nite View Post
    Look at the tags for thread...

No car you build will ever be good enough to warrant direct comparison with a German product.
    Are you joking?

The interior is just dreadful. It's so chinsy and cheesy

edit: Try saying "I drive a Cadillac CTS-V" without laughing.
    I fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Are you joking?

Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

Quote Originally Posted by P4g4nite View Post
    lol, a bit rough but somewhat correct
    RUF CTR Yellowbird is what dreams are made of

would a roll cage decrease chassis flex?
    RUF CTR Yellowbird is what dreams are made of

Quote Originally Posted by h22a View Post
    would a roll cage decrease chassis flex?
    What roll cage?
    "As I walk through the valley of rice I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me and the enemy is fat."

Thread Information