Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: CTS-V Laps the N'Ring

Quote Originally Posted by monaroCountry View Post
    What roll cage?
    if you took time to look at the pictures you will notice a rollcage
    RUF CTR Yellowbird is what dreams are made of

Quote Originally Posted by h22a View Post
    would a roll cage decrease chassis flex?
    Yes..

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Where did it say they used racing seats?
    Look closely at the enlarged picture (click on it.) The passenger seat clearly says Sparco Evo II.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

if you took time to look at the pictures you will notice a rollcage

From GM

"To clarify, the car had no performance or operational modifications outside of what we intend to offer in production. We did have a couple of customary safety precautions, as the first goal of our testing is always to keep drivers like John safe. The car had a harness bar upon which a 6-way racing safety belt system was mounted. We also had a fire supression unit on board. These things add a little bit of weight to the car, certainly not helping performance any. Stock tires, too."

Those non standard parts added weight, there was no roll bar but a harness bar which would not have increased chassis stiffness. Without those extra safety modifications this car would have gone even faster.
    "As I walk through the valley of rice I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me and the enemy is fat."

does a six point harness weigh less than a normal pretensioned seatbelt?
    would the standard leather/electric-memory seat weigh more than a racing seat?
    If the car is meant to be driven hard why would they have the need for additional safety precautions? Shouldnt the vehicle have sufficient safety systems in place already.
    Last edited by h22a; 05-16-2008 at 12:02 AM.

I think they set a very decent time, irrespective of all arguments regarding its level of standard outfit. With such an engine power it could have hardly been otherwise, and by now Cadillac will have studied several other cars to see how a 4-door sedan can be set-up to behave like a sportscar. Then they only needed to put in some more BHP and Bob's your uncle....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

[Mimicks other posters by nitpicking at bullshit]

If this car had a BMW badge on it everyone would have creamed their pants 10 times over.

If the car is meant to be driven hard why would they have the need for additional safety precautions? Shouldnt the vehicle have sufficient safety systems in place already.
    yeah, you never see race cars with fire extuingishers and rollcages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    [Mimicks other posters by nitpicking at bullshit]

If this car had a BMW badge on it everyone would have creamed their pants 10 times over.
    x2
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    yeah, you never see race cars with fire extuingishers and rollcages.
    its a road car clutch - you see many with rollcages and fire exstinguishes fitted to road cars?? no i didnt think so.

you'd expect a time of under 8mins for a 550bhp car.

its a road car clutch - you see many with rollcages and fire exstinguishes fitted to road cars?? no i didnt think so.

you'd expect a time of under 8mins for a 550bhp car.
    Road cars don't usually lap the Nurb. at speeds that you've probably rarely if ever experienced. Plus, people have died in these same types of juiced up sedans. Remember that M5 kid that died on that airport runway? I mean, god forbid this Cadillac driver crashed head on into a retaining wall at 150mph to keep the sanctity of COMPLETELY STOCK OMFG EVERYONE LOOK I'M LEGIT. That is all well and good until this same driver dies from hitting the retaining wall, or at best breaks ribs and limbs.

If you guys feel it's necessary to argue about a loss/gain of ~50 lbs of weight and some safety equipment, at least upgrade your arsenal to make the argument less silly. The best point that's been made is Matra's idea that sound deadening material may have been omitted but no one would know that for sure.

its a road car clutch
    so are BMW's and GT3's and basically any car ever tested on the nurburgring and they all have rollbars fitted for testing on the ring. why is cadillac suddenly not allowed to fit mandatory safety equipment? what kind of circle jerk double standard is this?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I think when Sport Auto does their tests on the Ring, they will not fit the car with rollbars etc...so if we want to settle this argument we will have to wait for their results...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by P4g4nite View Post

What about the Corvette and it's variants?

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    it's the same spec as what the dealers will be selling apparently, apart from the compulsory safety equipment. obviously BMW and audi never use safety equipment when testing; that is clearly ridiculous. just like that M3 CSL lap time...oh that was lulz worthy.

in the video it all sounds quite refined and quiet so i wouldn't assume that is the case (maybe they did have to remove something to fit the rollbar though?)

LOL
    True, they do, but the times we have BMW & Audi come from factory/customer cars.
    Quote Originally Posted by monaroCountry View Post
    Those non standard parts added weight, there was no roll bar but a harness bar which would not have increased chassis stiffness. Without those extra safety modifications this car would have gone even faster.
    There's a load if I've ever seen one.

The harness bar added weight, but I guarantee you those 2 seats off set it easily. I doubt GM has even weighed the car.
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

Some more facts about the outrageous cheating done by GM.

- the Cadillac was painted with invisible go-fast stripes
    - poor test driver was starved for two weeks
    - also, he was forced to do a full body shave

Fortunately, German Autobahn Polizei is already investigating the case and justice will prevail.

Thread Information