Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lancia in Formula One?

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    I doubt Ferrari wants to compete with itself.
    For some reason I think competing against themselves could be a good thing. If the Lancia F1 program was profitable (through F1 itself or through lifting up the brand) thats just another revenue stream from the same source. And while sure it'd make things more competitive on track, the ability to research various technologies all at once through two teams and then combine that knowledge would be an advantage for both teams. Unless thats against the rules somehow, I'm not to familiar with the rules. Maybe I'm dreaming
    You can call me scott.

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    VAG? Never.
    Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Why not?
    they expressed their opinion that money can be invested better. i don't feel like lancia would make an F1 team either, in my opinion it's not filling in their strategy, besides their not that rich and fiat's already investing in S F
    12 cylinders or walk!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I believe he was refrrng to Ferrari winning the '56 chapionship with the Lancias, back when their own cars were simply rubbish.
    That was what I was referring to. While I would say that the engines were not competitive, I wouldn't go as far as saying "rubbish."
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    That was what I was referring to. While I would say that the engines were not competitive, I wouldn't go as far as saying "rubbish."
    Well compared with the all conquering W196s, the Superqualos were a bit like Force Indias...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Well compared with the all conquering W196s, the Superqualos were a bit like Force Indias...
    Please don't forget that Ferrari had dominated Grand Prix racing completely in 1952 and 1953. Drastic rule changes never really fit Ferrari very well, so it was not surprising they were off the pace in 1954 and 1955.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Please don't forget that Ferrari had dominated Grand Prix racing completely in 1952 and 1953. Drastic rule changes never really fit Ferrari very well, so it was not surprising they were off the pace in 1954 and 1955.
    And Castellotti was third overall after the two factory Daimler drivers (Fangio and Moss).

It was more of a tongue in cheek comment.
    Visca Catalunya!

Speaking of drastic rule changes, was the recent engine formula change in F1 meant in some capacity to "mix things up" and hopefully end Ferrari dominance?

Speaking of drastic rule changes, was the recent engine formula change in F1 meant in some capacity to "mix things up" and hopefully end Ferrari dominance?
    I dont think the engine regulation canges were especialy directed towards ferrari like past changes might have been, but at the big spending teams in general.

Im not too warm at the idea of seeing Lancia in F1, for fear of seeing yet another B team fo a larger team, think toro rosso and super aguri here. We have all seen how that story ends and its not very pretty.

I would much rather see the rumors of Porsche o Audi breaking into F1 come true. Or maybe even the return of an American Manufacturer ( ford {ford europe}?)
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

Do you mean the engine displacement change? That was relatively minor as the cylinder dimensions remained the same.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Do you mean the engine displacement change? That was relatively minor as the cylinder dimensions remained the same.
    I didn't realize that the cylinder dimensions stayed the same actually. Now that I do the math, I see that the cylinder volumes are all the same, but I wasn't sure even if that was the case that the dimensions would be the same after changing from a V10 to a V8. Does the FIA mandate cylinder dimensions as well as overall capacity?

Speaking of engine change, before the Turkish Grand Prix, Ferrari went in and made changes "for the sake of reliability", but it's reported that they got a noticeable boost in power...

Of course, if it were another team other than Ferrari, the FIA wouldn't have allowed the change "for the sake of reliability"

Another team entering F1 (any team) is a dream at the moment as well as the foreseeable future with the rules and the current design of the concorde agreement the way they are now and will be. If anything there will be fewer teams in the next year or two.

If you ask me, Lancia should first go into WRC. Although they've spent more time in WRC, a lot of us know them better for their rally years.

Is this an ignorant comment? Maybe. But I'm pretty sure the average enthusiast knows their rally cars better than their F1 cars.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    If you ask me, Lancia should first go into WRC. Although they've spent more time in WRC, a lot of us know them better for their rally years.

Is this an ignorant comment? Maybe. But I'm pretty sure the average enthusiast knows their rally cars better than their F1 cars.
    Not only they've spent more time rallying, but they've been infinitely more successful too.

Thing is Fiat wants to erase any trace of sport in Lancia and Fiat/Abarth is already rallying with their Punto S2000.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information