Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Aston AMV8

2009 Aston AMV8

Upgrades will include an increase in engine capacity to 4.7 litres, and revised suspension for the Coupe.

All details HERE
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Speaking of Aston Martins, what is the deal with their engines? Is their V8 Ford sourced or made in house?

I heard that their V12 is two Ford V6s mated together (with modifications). Is this true?

The V8 and V12s are now all made at the Cologne engine plant. The Vanquish engines used to come direct from Cosworth, who did some of the design work.

The fact that the V12 has no joins in it anywhere would tend to rule against the mated description... That is has the same bore, stroke and bank angle as a Mondeo V6 is because its a good choice for a V12, and gave the guys at Ford design a good place to pitch it from, as it wasn't a totally impractical design from a cost perspective. It also has twin ECUs (apart from the DBS) as nothing Ford used had the capability.

I hope they fixed the engine/gearbox on this car. The old engine was certainly lacking character and the gearbox felt stiffer than that of an 80s supercar. Not sure what it's like now, but at least the fuel economy numbers are no longer a joke; the current one is slightly more powerful can a Carrera S and would turn in fuel economy numbers worse than the Turbo.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

I need one in yellow...

looks excellent...especially the red one
    BMW Stands For : Best Motor in the World

Anyone else think no matter what car Aston Martin makes, Top Gear will absolutely love it. I think they may be a bit biased haha.

Although I will have to agree with them on one point, they sound amazing.

Viper, drive a modern AM and I'd be shocked if you didn't fall in love too....

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco View Post
    Which have you driven?

Did you like the Ford bits on the inside?

2x AMV8 (Manual)
    DB9 (Auto)

Yes

Yes
    As long as you liked them.

Are you in the market?

Quote Originally Posted by Viper007 View Post
    Anyone else think no matter what car Aston Martin makes, Top Gear will absolutely love it. I think they may be a bit biased haha.

Although I will have to agree with them on one point, they sound amazing.
    I have to agree with that. I saw one one go past at breakfast a few days ago, normally I hate hoons and would happily drown all the big exhaust loving WRX owners, but when the driver of that Vantage opened the throttle it could have been classed a public service, or tax deductable charity.
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

I've never driven one, but I did get a ride in a Vanquish S. I was impressed, but its still not the type of car that absolutely shook me as unbelievable. I suppose person preference sways me towards the sportier sports car as opposed to the incredible elegance and class that AM always brings to the table. Still, I hold that the exhaust notes of the AM's is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper007 View Post
    I suppose person preference sways me towards the sportier sports car as opposed to the incredible elegance and class that AM always brings to the table.
    All the elegance and class that the Ford parts bin can provide.

I jest.

The fact that the V12 has no joins in it anywhere would tend to rule against the mated description... That is has the same bore, stroke and bank angle as a Mondeo V6 is because its a good choice for a V12, and gave the guys at Ford design a good place to pitch it from, as it wasn't a totally impractical design from a cost perspective. It also has twin ECUs (apart from the DBS) as nothing Ford used had the capability.
    So it uses the same engine architecture is what you are saying.

What about the headers/cams/pistons? Are these done by Cosworth then?

Is the V8 in the current Vantage an evolution of previous AM V8s or was it designed form the ground up?

Thread Information