Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Russia Wins Eurovision - Western Nations Cringe.

Russia Wins Eurovision - Western Nations Cringe.

Well, it's been coming for a while now. they came close in 2006, but they've clinched it in 2008 - with Dima Belan sealing the title for Eurovision 2008 with his ballad "Believe" I'll let the film clip do the talking. the Song garnered 272 points from televoters across 43 nations.

Watch His winning Entry

Second was the far more palatable Ukrainian Ani Lorak with "Shady Lady" - which got 230 points

Apologies for Greek Commentary

Third was Greece with Kalomira's "Secret Combination". which got 218 points.

As performed at the Greek National Final

Other than Greece and Norway, all other countries in the top 10 this year were not from western Europe - Israel and Turkey from the middle east, with the rest being made up of Eastern european countries. because of the partisan voting structure of the contest (often referred to as Diaspora voting) many of these countries vote for their neighbours - a time honoured tradition amongst Scandinavian countries. However, as with nearly every year the current form of Eurovision has existed, this has raised questions over how political the contest actually is.

Highlights this year also included Azerbaijan's first screamer of an entry (I'm not going to link to it because i'm still bleeding from the experience) which got them 8th place unbelievably. and Bosnia-Herzegovina's laundry knitting day.

Hottie watchers should refer to the Armenian Entry.

Honourable mention for Epic staging goes to the Latvian entry. Pirate Wenches FTW.

For a fright fest, switch to the Spanish (Think Daddy Yankee meets Danger Mouse) and Swedish entry (what happened to her face is a mystery).

Overall a well staged performance but it was a backwards step in lighting and set design to the fantastic Finnish set up last year. lets hope the Russians know people who know people who design sets properly.

so, thoughts?
    Last edited by IBrake4Rainbows; 05-25-2008 at 06:14 AM.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Never had so much fun watching euro-vision than driving three hours to your place to get crunked and laugh and cry at the performances.

Its on for next year right
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Oh Totally. We should make it part of the GWE tour.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

how come you get eurovision on those faraway lands? eurovision is crap, really. most of the bands aren't even known in their own countries, that's how low the level is. i think western countries lost because none of them is actually interested in that show... the best proof is that poland scored points only from uk and ireland - because of the Poles living there! haha. and obviously russia got points from all their satellite countries.

if you want a good performance, look for ireland's entry, that to my great sadness failed to make it through eliminations
    12 cylinders or walk!

I've watched the voting only, cause actually I don't care about Eurovision

if only for her thighs alone, ukraine should have won.

savoringly succulent.

have no idea what the song sounded like though.

edit: who's with me?

For the dutch entry they should just hire something we Dutch are very good in. A Trance artist ! This rather old production would atleast make us stand out and get some points. We always do the same.. Some crappy pop song with a reasonable to weak singer.

YouTube - BT & Jan Johnston - Mercury & Solace
    Last edited by drakkie; 05-25-2008 at 08:32 AM.

a Trance song would have gotten you 0 points and a ban from next year's show
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

Quote Originally Posted by Gt1Street View Post
    Perhaps, but it is also very different. Who thought a hardrock song would win two years ago ?

YouTube - DJ Tiƫsto - Close to you
    Another beautiful song ^^
    Last edited by drakkie; 05-25-2008 at 09:11 AM.

Lol eurovision we watch it for humor value ill never forget that dutch entry singing "fly on the wings of love" the dude sounded like gracho marks backed up by the 3 stooges.
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

Oh great, a Russian song. It probably spent 4 hours building up the plot and bores the living crap out of everyone.

The Spanish version makes me lose what little faith I had in humanity.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by Gt1Street View Post
    Forget that, half the audience would be at the coat check and the other half would be going through seizures.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

But i happen to like seizures...
    The Datto will rage again...

how did a class act like Karolina , err i mean Ani Lorak get sucked into performing such a dud song ?

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon500 View Post
    Lol eurovision we watch it for humor value ill never forget that dutch entry singing "fly on the wings of love" the dude sounded like gracho marks backed up by the 3 stooges.
    the Dutch entry was a girl who did not make at through the semi-finals....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information