Thread: Need some data

Need some data

Hi guys,

I am working in the position of financial manager for the chassis of the OSGV in our latest project on school. I need to calculate everything and see how and where production can be done cheapest.

I want to ask you guys, to name a few companies abroad that I can contact that can:
    - deliver high-strength steels at high volumes (think 100 cars a day)
    - press these into the right shapes, required for a vehicle
    - assemble these parts into a chassis at a cost-efficient way(same numbers as above)

I can offcourse google for companies, but offcourse I can not find everything online. So if you know of any companies that can do this, please give me a link, a adress, a phone number, everything. It doesn't matter what as long as I can contact them !

In return you'll get my eternal thanks

Sjoerd

If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

What else than a car manufacturer can do this job in a cost efficient way?
    100 cars a day? If someone outside the auto industry should even thinking about such a job they would have to make machines and production lines for many million Euros... There you have already lost the cost efficiency..
    It's not illegal to use the brain you where handed out at birth.

You can also call this company and the one W posted and hear what they have to say...
    General Motors | Corporate Website | GM
    Though the last one could need some help from someone like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LotusLocost View Post
    What else than a car manufacturer can do this job in a cost efficient way?
    100 cars a day? If someone outside the auto industry should even thinking about such a job they would have to make machines and production lines for many million Euros... There you have already lost the cost efficiency..
    It's not illegal to use the brain you where handed out at birth.

You can also call this company and the one W posted and hear what they have to say...
    General Motors | Corporate Website | GM
    Though the last one could need some help from someone like you.
    What's your issue? Did you not read his post? He's doing this for a school project. Use the eyes handed to you at birth, that's also not illegal. Not being an asshole is another thing you could work on.
    Previously know as "Rotary.freak"

Quote Originally Posted by Type17 View Post
    What's your issue? Did you not read his post? He's doing this for a school project. Use the eyes handed to you at birth, that's also not illegal. Not being an asshole is another thing you could work on.
    Please use your brain. There are no companies other than car manufacturers that can make 100 cars per day. This being a school project really does not make a difference.

Can you name me a company that can make me 100,000 chips per day, but is not a chip manufacturer?
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Please use your brain. There are no companies other than car manufacturers that can make 100 cars per day. This being a school project really does not make a difference.

Can you name me a company that can make me 100,000 chips per day, but is not a chip manufacturer?
    Sorry guys, but there are multiple for example Nedcar also works for various compnies and are more or less a contractor for these companies. Apart from that it is not an entire car, I am looking for to get produced, but just the chassis/platform. So that means multiple bigger manufacturers of iron works can probably do this. I got two in Belgium allready, 1 responded and 2 in The Netherlands. But this means the budget is very tight and if further down the process an extra weld is needed or anything I am in trouble with my grade.

Maybe your budget is too tight?

(Ted Joans)

Maybe your budget is too tight?
    Offcourse it is too tight. If it is not, how the heck are you gonna get a profit ? It has to be produced at a comparable price to current SUV's whilst carrying expensive eco-friendly components. Meaning that there has to be saved on other components, production techniques and more. Here comes into play the thing I quite like to do. Bothering the "engineers" with the cost calculations and hand them comparable options for material use. This means you have to be sharp and always look for better alternatives, before they can even present their preferred method to you. Quite stressful, but everyone says i'm good in it

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    Offcourse it is too tight. If it is not, how the heck are you gonna get a profit ? It has to be produced at a comparable price to current SUV's whilst carrying expensive eco-friendly components. Meaning that there has to be saved on other components, production techniques and more. Here comes into play the thing I quite like to do. Bothering the "engineers" with the cost calculations and hand them comparable options for material use. This means you have to be sharp and always look for better alternatives, before they can even present their preferred method to you. Quite stressful, but everyone says i'm good in it
    If you are so good at it, why do you need help?

(Ted Joans)

If you are so good at it, why do you need help?
    With good local adresses and inside knowledge abroad. As said above, I can google, but I cannot find everything as I do not speak all world languages nor do I know which companies are reliable and stuff.

If you have nothing useful to contribute here, except bitching like a schoolgirl, do you mind to refrain from posting here and keep the thread clean ? I prefer to have a useful thread, where I can find good information and perhaps even be of help to others that need info. Thanks.

What does those companies you contacted normally produce?
    And what was their response?

If you could use aluminum... You can always ask one of the biggest supplier of aluminum parts for the car industry: Welcome to Hydro - Hydro Internet
    They delivered the aluminum frames for the Lotus Elise and Renault Sport Spider..
    Last edited by LotusLocost; 05-29-2008 at 01:09 PM.

He didn't say that it can't be a car manufacturer. Both you and Lotus are arguing something that he never said. Wouter read the original post before talking to me in such a condescending way. And it being a school project makes all the difference in the world. He's just doing research, not necessarily building the cars.

He asked for help not for your bullshit snotty and sarcastic remarks.
    Previously know as "Rotary.freak"

Quote Originally Posted by LotusLocost View Post
    What does those companies you contacted normally produce?
    And what was their response?

If you could use aluminum... You can always ask one of the biggest supplier of aluminum parts for the car industry: Welcome to Hydro - Hydro Internet
    They delivered the aluminum frames for the Lotus Elise and Renault Sport Spider..
    Good one ! Thanks ! I couldn't figure out the name of that, though i remembered them vaguely from the Project M25 documentary Writing an e-mail

I contacted a good dozen businesses so far. For example ArcelorMittal or karmann. Luckily a nice stack of business cards helps me out. But I don't have much abroad where prices are lower.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    Good one ! Thanks ! I couldn't figure out the name of that, though i remembered them vaguely from the Project M25 documentary Writing an e-mail

I contacted a good dozen businesses so far. For example ArcelorMittal or karmann. Luckily a nice stack of business cards helps me out. But I don't have much abroad where prices are lower.
    Aluminium can be quite expensive..

if you want good metal/steel, and alot of it, we (Corus) can provide you tons of it. Our metal goes into all VAG cars (used for side panels etc) and even some french companies. They however set lower quality levels

Welkom bij Corus
    Driver for Ultimatecarpage.competition
    Team Manager of Ultimatecarpage.competition

NGT Champion ZAC2 League
    Team Champion ZAC2 League
    NGT Champion ZAC3 League
    Team Champion ZAC3 League

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Visser View Post
    Aluminium can be quite expensive..

if you want good metal/steel, and alot of it, we (Corus) can provide you tons of it. Our metal goes into all VAG cars (used for side panels etc) and even some french companies. They however set lower quality levels

Welkom bij Corus
    You might want to kick someone's butt there though, as I get no reply to my e-mail

Thread Information