Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gran Turismo 5 Prologue IMO

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue IMO

So my mate brought his new PS3 around today and we had a go on GT5 prologue. I have to say as a fan of previous incarnations of the game I was looking to see how the new version looked and most importantly played. Well firstly graphics are an obvious improvement from the PS2's GT4 but still not that much better than the 360's Forza Motorsport 2 (keeping in mind this is on a standard 27" TV so perhaps a large format HDTV would prove otherwise.) But then came my worst shock, the atrocious arcadey style handling of the cars. It was, in my honest opinion, terrible. I switched the handling from standard to "professional" mode and it was still nothing like what I had come to expect as the norm. As a whole I have been very dissapointed by this game but this could be because I have now converted to the Forza side of console driving sims. Maybe i'm just oblivious as to what is more realistic. How do other members feel about this game and opinions of people who have played both GT5 and Forza 2 can let us know whether they agree with me or not.
    "When I see an Alfa Romeo go by, I tip my hat." - Henry Ford

Well i've never tried the prologue I was dissapointed by what i think was GTHD, which was at a local game store. Graphics wise it was nice, but the controls felt awkward...could be the PS3's crap controllers.

Well I haven't played the game yet but after seeing this thread i decided to read up on this games handling. The creator of the game said that there was alot of emphasis put into the game to make the weight transfer more realistic. I know they put alot of effort into the physics of the games so I find it hard to imagine that it's become arcade-ish. Maybe it would feel more realistic if you used a steering wheel and pedals.

Could'nt disagree more with you, it's far more realistic than ever. I drive in professional mode as well and it's the best car game I've ever played. I hate arcade games that has nothing to do with how a real car drives, so I don't understand your point of view at all... Taste is individual, so no arguments here...
    Team Fiattitude

Try it with the G25 wheel as I did. H-shifter + actually using the clutch + leather strapped wheel = mucho win.

Completely different than playing it with a SIXAXIS or DualShock 3. Not even close in fact.

Oh and the graphics are way above FM2's, especially when playing in 1080p.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

good god, i knew the graphics were better than Forza2's, but with both on 1080p displays, the Prologue's are way above? how giddy does that make me feel?

very giddy indeed.

is there a site with comparative screen shots? of similar cars perhaps? from the two games/consoles?

Quote Originally Posted by deffenbaugh03 View Post
    I know they put alot of effort into the physics of the games so I find it hard to imagine that it's become arcade-ish.
    lol. it's always been arcade-ish.
    as said before the Ps3's controls probably don't help, try with a wheel maybe. have they fixed the engine sounds yet?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

The whole point is that i've been always been a fan of the Gran Turismo series, i've owned all of them up to and including GT4, but this new one just didnt seem to grab my attention and make me want to go back and play it, whereas Forza can keep me going for hours and hours. Perhaps if I had them game myself I could grow to love it. As they say, first impressions are everything and this game did not deliver.
    "When I see an Alfa Romeo go by, I tip my hat." - Henry Ford

I think it was alright.

I played 3 minutes of it at a friend's house. It didn't give me much time to mess with things, but I do like the graphics and sounds.

The driving is actually generally the same. I've been using the controller since GT3, so GT5 isn't much different. Everything feels similar if not the same to me actually. But I like it that way.

Still, I'd much rather wait till the real GT5 comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    Try it with the G25 wheel as I did. H-shifter + actually using the clutch + leather strapped wheel = mucho win.

Completely different than playing it with a SIXAXIS or DualShock 3. Not even close in fact.

Oh and the graphics are way above FM2's, especially when playing in 1080p.
    Agreed.
    GT5:P > all

I can't play GT4 now without my wheel, the pad controls are horrible. So if it's anything like that, it's amazing with a wheel and atrocious without one.

Quote Originally Posted by aiasib View Post
    good god, i knew the graphics were better than Forza2's, but with both on 1080p displays, the Prologue's are way above? how giddy does that make me feel?

very giddy indeed.

is there a site with comparative screen shots? of similar cars perhaps? from the two games/consoles?
    Forza 2 doesn't run at 1080p. It runs at 720p or 1080i (Europe, only with 60Hz refresh rate).

Quote Originally Posted by Dantera22B View Post
    The whole point is that i've been always been a fan of the Gran Turismo series, i've owned all of them up to and including GT4, but this new one just didnt seem to grab my attention and make me want to go back and play it, whereas Forza can keep me going for hours and hours. Perhaps if I had them game myself I could grow to love it. As they say, first impressions are everything and this game did not deliver.
    You need to keep in mind it's not GT5. It's GT5 Prologue. It's only kind of a big demo of what the real deal will be. GT4 Prologue was also atrocious. I bet anything when the true GT5 hits it's gonna put Forza 2 to shame, and will challenge FM3 (if there's one).

...in 2012.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    David says:
    that's what she said

Im going to buy it this week, sadly i dont have a 1080p tv though,but it is a plasma so thats not too bad.

Heres an interesting video comparing, side by side, a full lap at the suzuka racetrack in an F1 car both in the game and in real life.
    Prologue Vs. Real Life
    "'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    Forza 2 doesn't run at 1080p. It runs at 720p or 1080i (Europe, only with 60Hz refresh rate).

You need to keep in mind it's not GT5. It's GT5 Prologue. It's only kind of a big demo of what the real deal will be. GT4 Prologue was also atrocious. I bet anything when the true GT5 hits it's gonna put Forza 2 to shame, and will challenge FM3 (if there's one).

...in 2012.
    By the time the bloody game comes out all the cars in the game will be considered classics and we'll all be driving smart cars....

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    By the time the bloody game comes out all the cars in the game will be considered classics and we'll all be driving smart cars....
    Do you mean smart as in intelligent or Smart as the (fail) car manufacturer?

If you meant the manufacturer... *hides in fear*
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    David says:
    that's what she said

Thread Information