Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ferrari to offer official coachbuilding service

Ferrari to offer official coachbuilding service

Mighty comeback of idyllic past or another way of getting more money out of cavallino? I don't know yet, but I love the idea and can't wait to see first projects

Quote Originally Posted by LeftLaneNews.com
    To most folks, a Ferrari is, by definition, an exclusive automobile. But for some wealthy car enthusiasts, a standard F430 or even an Enzo won't cut it. That's where coachbuilding comes in — the process of creating a custom car on top of an established platform. According to a new report, Ferrari is planning to again offer a coachbuilding service: something it hasn't done in decades.

The Italian automaker is expected to team up with design firms Pininfarina, Fioravanti, and Zagato for the project, AutoWeek has reported. The first one-off models — penned by Fioravanti — will likely be shown to the public later this year, the report claims. Fioravanti was instrumental to ten Ferrari designs between 1965 and 1984.

For now, customers will be able to commission custom F430, 612 Scaglietti, and Enzo supercars. It's not known if the 599 Fiorano or California platforms will eventually be eligible for customization. All the cars are expected to hit seven figures.
    Article
    12 cylinders or walk!

I'm all for it personally.

But an F430 for seven figures is a bit of a stretch...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

That's great news.

I'm excited.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

If these can come out as spectacular as the P4/5, I'm all for it.
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I'm all for it personally.

But an F430 for seven figures is a bit of a stretch...
    with an entirely new body? Anything custom made by hand is going to be ridiculously expensive.

David said it - this is great news. I'm excited to see what designs people come up with, although I must say I am not expecting anything to pretty as I find recent coachbuilt cars to be pretty ugly.

Hopefully I will be happily surprised.

I'm all for it. Exclusivity and Ferrari go hand-in-hand and some pretty looking one-offs would be pretty neat.

I feel bad for the poor bastards who are going to try and make anything as close to as nice as P4/5 and 612 Kappa.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

I'll be expecting some stunners, and some really ugly buggers too...
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

with recent ferrari's not exactly being the best lookers around i think there will be some unusual creations spawned..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    with recent ferrari's not exactly being the best lookers around i think there will be some unusual creations spawned..
    It is kinda funny. Current Ferraris are sub-par for Ferraris, but will these ones be even worse?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    It is kinda funny. Current Ferraris are sub-par for Ferraris, but will these ones be even worse?
    Sub-par? Have you seen many front-engined cars that weight 1690 kg do 0-100 km/h in 3.5 seconds?

...But I see you are judging the current lineup based on looks only. How typical of a car 'enthusiast'.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Now now david, Rose tinted glasses can blind
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

The only problem many people see with the new Ferraris is that they are, well...new.

They're no worse than any other manufacturer out there rigtht now, save...maybe Aston Martin, but hey...it's AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    Sub-par? Have you seen many front-engined cars that weight 1690 kg do 0-100 km/h in 3.5 seconds?

...But I see you are judging the current lineup based on looks only. How typical of a car 'enthusiast'.
    This is a thread about coachbuliding isn't it? That deals with the looks of the cars? Thus I was not commenting on the performance of current Ferraris - there are oodles of other threads where that can be done.

I took a page out of Ferrer's book as for talking about looks.

As for enthusiast, I am an enthusiast to know the 599's best time is actually a 3.2.

Frankly, of all modern sports cars, I would probably take a F430 (or maybe an R8) - so I do like Ferraris current cars.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    The only problem many people see with the new Ferraris is that they are, well...new.

They're no worse than any other manufacturer out there rigtht now, save...maybe Aston Martin, but hey...it's AM.
    You raise a good point - car design has not been so great in the past couple years barring some notable exceptions, but it seems to me like things are getting worse rather than better.
    Last edited by Kitdy; 06-01-2008 at 07:33 PM.

Thread Information