Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ferrari to offer official coachbuilding service

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    This is a thread about coachbuliding isn't it? That deals with the looks of the cars? Thus I was not commenting on the performance of current Ferraris - there are oodles of other threads where that can be done.

I took a page out of Ferrer's book as for talking about looks.

As for enthusiast, I am an enthusiast to know the 599's best time is actually a 3.2.

Frankly, of all modern sports cars, I would probably take a F430 (or maybe an R8) - so I do like Ferraris current cars.
    You are right, this is a thread about coachbuilding. Coachbuilding and looks go hand-in-hand. Point taken. However... why calling the current line-up sub-par? As an enthusiast you might know the F430 has styling cues of the old Ferrari's, the 156 "Sharknose" F1 and the 250 TR/61 for example. They also offer a front-engined Gran Turismo and a 2+2... body styles Ferrari always produced. I don't see anything sub-par here.

As for the 3.2 time, you know as well as I do the Average Joe won't achieve that. I gave the 3.5 figure because any fat bloke can achieve it using Launch Control.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    You are right, this is a thread about coachbuilding. Coachbuilding and looks go hand-in-hand. Point taken. However... why calling the current line-up sub-par? As an enthusiast you might know the F430 has styling cues of the old Ferrari's, the 156 "Sharknose" F1 and the 250 TR/61 for example. They also offer a front-engined Gran Turismo and a 2+2... body styles Ferrari always produced. I don't see anything sub-par here.

As for the 3.2 time, you know as well as I do the Average Joe won't achieve that. I gave the 3.5 figure because any fat bloke can achieve it using Launch Control.
    Ask around, I think many people prefer the 90s and early 2000s Ferraris.

I appreciate the replication in the Sharknose idea in the F430 but the F430 Scuderia does away with that and replaces it with something completely goofy and adds tacky racing stripes(?). The F430s ass is beautiful barring the ridiculous Enzo style rear light cluster, the 612 is a bore, the 599 is not attractive from the front, and in general, it's just a pity when you compare this crop of Ferraris with the 355/360, 550/575, and 456.

I sense maybe a voting thread?

F430/F430 Scuderia/Enzo/599/612/California against 355/360/550/575/456/F50?

I find all the current Ferraris neglecting the F430 completely rubbish for Ferraris. It's like the 80s all over, except in the 80s, at least there were two nice Ferraris, the F40 and Testarossa.

My point was more along the lines of people are more critical of newer cars....and they tend to except more ugly in older cars because they're old. We can say to ourselves, 'well we had no taste back then'.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    My point was more along the lines of people are more critical of newer cars....and they tend to except more ugly in older cars because they're old. We can say to ourselves, 'well we had no taste back then'.
    I completely disagree. I am just as critical about current cars as I am about past ones.

the 599 is not attractive from the front
    I dissagree sir!

Weekly Quote -

Dick

that's not attractive...it's just..happy
    ...to be alive. because it should have been eaten at birth.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Sub-par? Have you seen many front-engined cars that weight 1690 kg do 0-100 km/h in 3.5 seconds?

...But I see you are judging the current lineup based on looks only. How typical of a car 'enthusiast'.
    But isn't that the problem with modern Ferraris? Too much technology not enough passion perhaps? Look at the 599, brilliant car but it simply hasn't got the drama, the excitement, the panache and the sense of ocasion a Zonda has.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    The only problem many people see with the new Ferraris is that they are, well...new.

They're no worse than any other manufacturer out there rigtht now, save...maybe Aston Martin, but hey...it's AM.
    Nope, even the DB9 looks a bit like a bloated DB7. And the DB7 was timelessly beautiful and elegant.

And it's much the same with many cars. The Jag XJ and XK, almost all the BMWs,...

Possibly the only modern car that I consider truly beautiful is the Alfa 8C.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I think it's the best ideia Ferrari have had in a long time, if i where to own one i would change a lot on any of them.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

I like the 430, while it's not the very best looking car it's damn good. I like the coachbuilding idea because at least we'll see some originality.

A note on the times-comparing "best" times closer than about .5 second is really, really tough. I know that sounds like alot, bit so many factors go into it. Obviously weather, track conditions and drivers all make a difference, but there's also variance between cars, degree of wear on the tires, and a big one, weather gps or beams of light (american style) are used to determine time. The rolling period at the lights can be as much as .3 seconds by itself. What I'm saying is we know if a cars fast or slow, arguing over 3.5 or 3.2 seconds to sixty mph is null- it means nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    But isn't that the problem with modern Ferraris? Too much technology not enough passion perhaps? Look at the 599, brilliant car but it simply hasn't got the drama, the excitement, the panache and the sense of ocasion a Zonda has.
    Yeah, that's why 60's Ferrari's are my favorite
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Nope, even the DB9 looks a bit like a bloated DB7. And the DB7 was timelessly beautiful and elegant.

And it's much the same with many cars. The Jag XJ and XK, almost all the BMWs,...

Possibly the only modern car that I consider truly beautiful is the Alfa 8C.
    First, most of Ferrari's customers want usability out of their cars. I think passion is left to the realm of Scuderia/F50/Enzo/etc. Plus its not like people are walking up to 430s on the street saying, "So, is this the new Buick?" I think the Zonda is too many nice design features that never really come together.

The original DB7 with the Supercharged 6 is nice, but I still prefer the DB9.

Finally, while I can admit BMW's current design direction is not for everybody, I think the 6 Series is a modern classic and the M6 Coupe is up there with he Maserati GranTourismo and Alfa 8C.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post

The original DB7 with the Supercharged 6 is nice, but I still prefer the DB9.
    agreed.
    Finally, while I can admit BMW's current design direction is not for everybody, I think the 6 Series is a modern classic and the M6 Coupe is up there with he Maserati GranTourismo and Alfa 8C.
    ..completely disagree lol
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Yeah, that's why 60's Ferrari's are my favorite
    1959 is the year my friend.

(Alternatively 1962 will do)
    First, most of Ferrari's customers want usability out of their cars. I think passion is left to the realm of Scuderia/F50/Enzo/etc. Plus its not like people are walking up to 430s on the street saying, "So, is this the new Buick?" I think the Zonda is too many nice design features that never really come together.
    I understand Ferrari costumers want usablity and after all Ferrari is a company which want to make money.

But, I highly doubt people buy Ferraris because they are usable or practical. No a Ferrari is so much more than a mere car, or at least it should be. If you want to go fast cheaply and with good fuel economy and usability you buy a Corvette or a GT-R. If I bought a Ferrari I'd want so much more that the ability to go fast. I want the styling, I want the attention to detail, I want the passion, and the soundtrack. I want to know that I'm getting something really special. Are Ferraris perhaps getting too mainstream?

To illustrate my point consider the Citroen C6. It's a big practical, usable executive saloon but at the same time it captures the very essence of what a Citroen is meant to be. With a Ferrari it possibly is more difficult, but why can't they seem to do the same?
    Visca Catalunya!

1959 is the year my friend.
    I agree. I think the 250 GT SWB and 410 Superamerica are two of the prettiest Ferraris ever made.

I agree. I think the 250 GT SWB and 410 Superamerica are two of the prettiest Ferraris ever made.
    You're forgetting The One though.

Ferrari 250 California Spyder SWB.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information