Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 19th Annual Burn Prevention Foundation Concours

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    Post 7 pic#5 is Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost roadster by Schebera-Schapiro of Berlin.
    1914 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost Shapiro Schebera Skiff - Images, Specifications and Information
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

1924 Auto Red Bug

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    oh it's adorable for sure, but I'm wondering about the manufacturer
    This is what I found out about the 1924 Red Bug. This was on display coming from the Bob Bahre car collection of Maine. He also shipped down the 1931 packard prototype. I'm flying out to see his collection some time in July. It should be rather interesting to say the least.

regards

ken

Red Bug

The Little Buckboard Woodie
    Red Bugs are small, two passenger, wooden buckboard cyclecars that were produced from 1914 to about 1930. Early Red Bugs where powered by a fifth wheel with an integral motor. The Smith Motor Wheel and the Smith Flyer were first manufactured by the A.O. Smith Co. of Milwaukee in 1914. Five years later, Briggs and Stratton bought the manufacturing rights and produced the little woodie for several years.

The rights were sold to Majestic Engineering & Manufacturing Co., later known as Automotive Electric Service Company of North Bergen, New Jersey in 1924. Now called Red Bug or Auto Red Bug, production of the car continued. For a while, the Red Bug was powered by either the Motor Wheel or a Dodge 12 volt electric starter motor. The Motor Wheel was ultimately replaced with a five horsepower Cushman engine with chain drive to the rear wheels. The company was renamed Automotive Standards and in 1928, and an amusement park version featuring a wrap-around bumper was announced.

In March 1930, a news report indicated that the Indian Motorcycle Company in Springfield, MA was to build the diminutive vehicle on a "cost plus" basis. Little is known of the Red Bug after this date. After all, it was the depression and a new Red Bug sold for more than a used Model T Ford.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by kvisser View Post
    This is what I found out about the 1924 Red Bug. This was on display coming from the Bob Bahre car collection of Maine. He also shipped down the 1931 packard prototype. I'm flying out to see his collection some time in July. It should be rather interesting to say the least.

regards

ken

Red Bug

The Little Buckboard Woodie
    Red Bugs are small, two passenger, wooden buckboard cyclecars that were produced from 1914 to about 1930. Early Red Bugs where powered by a fifth wheel with an integral motor. The Smith Motor Wheel and the Smith Flyer were first manufactured by the A.O. Smith Co. of Milwaukee in 1914. Five years later, Briggs and Stratton bought the manufacturing rights and produced the little woodie for several years.

The rights were sold to Majestic Engineering & Manufacturing Co., later known as Automotive Electric Service Company of North Bergen, New Jersey in 1924. Now called Red Bug or Auto Red Bug, production of the car continued. For a while, the Red Bug was powered by either the Motor Wheel or a Dodge 12 volt electric starter motor. The Motor Wheel was ultimately replaced with a five horsepower Cushman engine with chain drive to the rear wheels. The company was renamed Automotive Standards and in 1928, and an amusement park version featuring a wrap-around bumper was announced.

In March 1930, a news report indicated that the Indian Motorcycle Company in Springfield, MA was to build the diminutive vehicle on a "cost plus" basis. Little is known of the Red Bug after this date. After all, it was the depression and a new Red Bug sold for more than a used Model T Ford.
    very interesting, thanks
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

great stuff ! and lovley photos...
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    That is a beautiful Duesy, but from your point of view as a judge, how do you assess that? What class did it participate in? Do you by any chance have the engine and chassis number, because those seem to be original Duesenberg.
    This beautiful roadster has ID number is J-113. It began life as a Holbrook-bodied Town Car. It certainly is not authentic, but WOW, what a BEAUTIFUL work of art!

Thread Information