Thread: Help -- No Sound

Help -- No Sound

I need some assistance.

Problem, i have no sound coming out of my speakers

Solutions (tried, didn't do bugger all), downloading driver updates, with which i was told, "your audio device is in perfect working condition, there are no updates available" I tried rolling back to the 'older' driver...didn't do anything. I've really tried everything i can think of, cba listing 'em all

Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be/ how i can fix it?!

EDIT: The speakers are built in
    May the downforce be with you

Quote Originally Posted by orshow View Post
    Solutions (tried, didn't do bugger all), downloading driver updates, with which i was told, "your audio device is in perfect working condition, there are no updates available"
    Don't do anything stupid now! You are not alone and we know how frustrating it is ("Can't connect to the internet, please use Windows Vista Help: Internet to solve the problem")

I can help you though, your audio device seems to be in perfect working condition to me

did something happen that cause it to stop playing sounds or it never played them ?
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

If it's a sound card, re-seat it. If it's an onboard soundchip on the motherboard, try finding some chipset drivers. If it's a laptop... I hope it's under warranty. Most of the time I've seen a soundchip suddenly stop working (especially in things with inbuilt speakers) it's been an odd hardware fault. Do headphones work?

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    If it's a sound card, re-seat it. If it's an onboard soundchip on the motherboard, try finding some chipset drivers. If it's a laptop... I hope it's under warranty. Most of the time I've seen a soundchip suddenly stop working (especially in things with inbuilt speakers) it's been an odd hardware fault. Do headphones work?
    I believe it's an onboard chip. and yes, it's a laptop. Nope, the headphones don't work either

It just stopped working, so all i get is the microsoft 'beep' when i do something
    May the downforce be with you

Quote Originally Posted by orshow View Post
    It just stopped working, so all i get is the microsoft 'beep' when i do something
    So it is working, it makes at list some kind of noise right ?

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

Quote Originally Posted by Gt1Street View Post
    So it is working, it makes at list some kind of noise right ?
    That is probably the monotone beep that the motherboard creates.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    That is probably the monotone beep that the motherboard creates.
    I dont think that laptop mobos are equiped with those antique monotone speakers.

Orshow, do you get a monotone sound or a ding sound like when you click on the volume lvl in windows ?

I'm sorry if this insults you, because it's a simple thing to check. BUT, you never know. Go to the sound icon in the taskbar and open it up. Make sure none of them are muted.

But, what I think happened is your sound card is dead.

Test the sounds though the audio control panel. It isn't unlikely for a laptop to have a little pc speaker as well as the sound chip, it may need it for beep codes if there's an error during POST. It could also be something bizzare like the sound chip is disabled in the BIOS (further lending credence to an old school beep on errors) so that's worth checking also. Unfortunately, it's more likely that it's a hardware error. Is it under warranty?

make sure the output is set to your speakers and not like the optical audio output or something, you can probably change it by right clicking on the little speaker in the notification area and click properties and then change the default output

you sure it is not muted and if you check the volume control panel make sure wave/pc speaker/line in is turned up

my line in has died on my ltop but the line out is fine. so it could be the connectors?? have you dropped it or ripped out a heaphones plug by mistake?

Thread Information