Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro 2008

Euro 2008

Discussion about the tournament? Picks for the final?

What a result for the Netherlands! Even though Van Nistelrooy was miles offside. My pick for final is Netherlands Germany.

Italy who?

For the record, Van Nistelrooy was most certainly not off-side. A defender can't put a player off-side by moving behind the line. Only an attacker can do that to prevent off-side, but he has to remain there.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Apparently Panucci was watching developments while inside the goal....and stayed there.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Didn't really get a long enough view of it to see all that Wouter. I stand corrected for now?

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach View Post
    Didn't really get a long enough view of it to see all that Wouter. I stand corrected for now?
    After last night I don't seem to care as much. I'll be in Le Mans when our boys will beat France. That will be exciting!
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Was a good night yesterday. Didn't even see the match, homework sucks. All my mates kept texting me from the pub...

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Italy who?

For the record, Van Nistelrooy was most certainly not off-side. A defender can't put a player off-side by moving behind the line. Only an attacker can do that to prevent off-side, but he has to remain there.
    I play hockey and there are no offsides It's just easier (just for the record)

If an attacker can put himself out of the game by moving himself over the backline, effectively nulling the offside. Why can't a defender do the same in the opposite effect?

Just out on a whim here, isn't offside between the players involved and the defenders/target goal? Thus putting himself behind the goal line cuts him out of the "offside" effect.

And a player who isn't considered to be 'active' can't be offside, at the refs discretion. The Netherlands player was just standing round. May be a refs bad judgment but... thats the way it went.
    Miscommunication seems to be a direct result of misplaced, text based sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach View Post
    Netherlands Germany.
    if its anything like the world wars the dutch will get flanked by the teutons

on a lighter, less offensive note, i still can't get over the fact that germany's top two scorers in the WC were polish, nationalism truely has died after what people saw what it can do over the last few hundred years. nationalism got abused and now has a bad name, just like communism. god damn it
    Last edited by blingbling; 06-10-2008 at 12:47 AM.
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Mustang Fan View Post
    I play hockey and there are no offsides It's just easier (just for the record)

If an attacker can put himself out of the game by moving himself over the backline, effectively nulling the offside. Why can't a defender do the same in the opposite effect?

Just out on a whim here, isn't offside between the players involved and the defenders/target goal? Thus putting himself behind the goal line cuts him out of the "offside" effect.
    It was deemed that Panucci was pushed over the line by the keeper and deliberately did not re-enter the field. That according to the rule book seems to have suspended the off-side position.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Yes it was quite a game last night. By far the best game the Netherlands have played under van Basten. I can't even name a player that didn't play good. Look at Engelaar: first ever game at an European Championship and he was excellent. Not to mention the performances of Boulahrouz, van Bronckhorst, Sneijder and of course van der Sar. First time since long I actually enjoyed watching the Netherlands play.
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Oh Lord, have mercy on those Dutch people now in France.....

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Oh Lord, have mercy on those Dutch people now in France.....
    Truth. Congrats BTW, I really enjoyed your team's game today. Hope ours will go well, too at last

They're putting something in the water over in the Netherlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    They're putting something in the water over in the Netherlands.
    we call it beer

If Germany gets taken out, The Netherlands is my team... They should let Rumania win and have France and Italy leave the cup!

Thread Information