Thread: High purity aluminium

High purity aluminium

I working on a school project and need to get in touch with companies which are refining aluminium to high purity. I've got some questions I'd like them to anwers for me, but I don't seem to find anyone on google. Do you work at such a place, know someone who does or just happen to know about such a company, please let me know.

The method they are using is probably at three-layer electrolytic method and I'm interested in the Al-Cu alloy they are using.

Help appreciated!

I'm no expert on the subject, but I managed to find the following two links:

Elkem
    Borgestad Fabrikker

Not sure if those sites are helpful, but give it a look-see.
    Last edited by Kooper; 06-12-2008 at 07:49 AM.

Borgestad Fabrikker is a supplier of refractories and such and I already have Elkem on my radar. Thanks anyway

Don't you think Hydro can help answer questions, or direct you to someone who knows?
    The are big in alu you know..

...but not in electrolytical refining of high-purity alu

I suggest you walk into a company that uses this material for their products or something and ask around. 9/10 times they are willing to help a student. Thats what I noticed anyhow when searching for companies not too long ago. I needed mostly steel and was helped excellently by the people at ArcellorMittal, in Rotterdam. Give it a shot, im not sre if they serve aluminium as well but they might be of help. Another advice i can give you is to just make a standardized format for emails or letters and spam the shit out of all companies supplying both steel and/or aluminium. Usually they can give you some advice.. I sent about 250 emails and got 45 back of which 21 were usefull and contained good information and/or interest.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    I suggest you walk into a company that uses this material for their products or something and ask around.
    But, you see, I only know about one company who does this shit (Vennesla Metal Refinery) and was wondering if anyone knew about some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Klemmel View Post
    But, you see, I only know about one company who does this shit (Vennesla Metal Refinery) and was wondering if anyone knew about some more.
    A lot of the companies in the business, like larger steel/aluminium suppliers can provide you with data, even if they dont usually trade in it. 9/10 times they know a friendly supplier or something that they work with. That's what I found when searching for some odd shapes and sizes of steel with special properties(sry dont know the translation of these properties..).

Is there an ability to supply me with some data/properties/specifications about this kind of material ? Might be useful to take under consideration for my project(OSGV) as well.
    Last edited by drakkie; 06-12-2008 at 11:11 PM.

I'm sorry, but the project is secret and I'm not authorized to hand out any data/properties/specifications I'm not using the Al-Cu alloy, but just like the aluminium industry I am using very pure Cu ($$$) to make an alloy for further refining.

Thread Information