Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Audi replacing R10 for 2009??? fact or fary tale?

they both have their advantages and disadvantages... 6 of one half a dozen of the other

personally i like the mix of open and closed cars... gives the teams a chance to play around with both and do lie what audi did and that was come into the sport when the coupe had rulled for many years... it was only a few years earlier that the TWR porsche won with a open top, that was the first win for an open top car since 1981 when the 936 porsche won its last Le Mans... so it can be done
    "No sir you may not eat my hat"

KFA-R #88 OZYROCKET

Quote Originally Posted by KFA-R View Post
    they both have their advantages and disadvantages... 6 of one half a dozen of the other

personally i like the mix of open and closed cars... gives the teams a chance to play around with both and do lie what audi did and that was come into the sport when the coupe had rulled for many years... it was only a few years earlier that the TWR porsche won with a open top, that was the first win for an open top car since 1981 when the 936 porsche won its last Le Mans... so it can be done
    actually the very first Audi, (R8C) was a coupe...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Well weren't they introduced at the same time actually? And favoured the spider because the Coupe did worse?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    dont you mean R8R?

R8C was the coupe version... which to my understanding was used as the base for the speed 8 Bently

KFA-R #88 OZYROCKET

Audi R8C - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think Ferrer is right...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post

The Peugeot did not fog up and the A/C gives them a restrictor break. You forgot to mention that a coupe is faster.
    Yeah I forgot to mention that.
    There was a slight fogging up of the Peugeots (you could tell in the onboards), but it wasn't enough to cause any visibility issues.

yeah... that... lol sorry didnt read the question...

yes audi introduced both R8C and R8R at the same time... C being the coupe and R being the open car... R8C was "cancelled" because it was never as quick as the open top version... audi used the R8R in the 1999 Le Mans against the AMG merc's, Gt-one toyota's and LMR BMW's... it did quite well being the best of the rest and prooved to be quite fast in a straight line... naturally the next year the R8 would could along and the rest is history

so yes one of the first Audi's was a coupe... sorry for the misunderstanding

as i did say before... the believe the R8C was later worked on and used as the base for the coupe Bentley Speed 8... info gathered from 1999 and the Toyota's being used for the aero base on the car.

KFA-R #88 OZYROCKET

Not to mentioned too that that the R8C and R8R were developed by different people and run by different people. R8R was Joest's baby and R8C was RTN, which went-on independently developing the R8C's evolutionary model which was then acquired by VAG and turned into the Bentley.....Hence the misconception in most cases that the Bentley was just a roofed R8.The 2 were quite different animal...

On the fogging issue, what I did see was when the car was hit with Dome's oil and the windshield basically has no visibility. For a open car the driver can just just a tear-off, the closed car it has to pit to clean it off.....The same is true for dirt, grime, and dead bugs. Visibility is a big issue IMO in a closed car.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Not to mentioned too that that the R8C and R8R were developed by different people and run by different people. R8R was Joest's baby and R8C was RTN, which went-on independently developing the R8C's evolutionary model which was then acquired by VAG and turned into the Bentley.....Hence the misconception in most cases that the Bentley was just a roofed R8.The 2 were quite different animal...

On the fogging issue, what I did see was when the car was hit with Dome's oil and the windshield basically has no visibility. For a open car the driver can just just a tear-off, the closed car it has to pit to clean it off.....The same is true for dirt, grime, and dead bugs. Visibility is a big issue IMO in a closed car.
    as a small anorak fact, the Bentley was further developed and during the process it changed about everything compared to R8C (it was xonsidered not to be the best car). However, for the final version (the one that won) Elleray went back to have a look at the R8 and took over the main suspension parts...

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    that would be why the two cars did so differently... always wondered that... thanks

KFA-R #88 OZYROCKET

Thread Information