Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should 'Quail buy Lotus Europa?

Should 'Quail buy Lotus Europa?

UCP gang,

I've found a 1971 Lotus Europa twin cam, big valve in a private collection in Little Rock, Arkansas. It's finished in black, 'Quail's favorite color (though it's not a John Player Special) and the only color, ITQHO, that a Europa looks right in.

Problem is, the owner is asking $17,000 for it.

It shows about 41,000 miles, has no evidence of collision and has an immaculate interior that looks original. The paintwork is a little tired. There are cracks and those groups of tiny blisters that all fiberglass-bodied cars seem to develop after a while.

If 'Quail pays $17 grand, I'm sure it'll be the highest price ever paid for a twin cam Europa, but a new clutch and lightweight flywheel come with the purchase, installed, which adds up to about $13,000 after the assumed worth of the car, as 'Quail figures it.

I'd pay $17,000 if he'd throw new paint into the bargain, which he might, as the shop his collection sits in has a paint booth and dedicated painter. At any rate it'd mean selling my 2004 Subaru WRX STi and buying the cheapest piece of shit I could find to serve as a daily driver (Isuzu P'up diesel, anyone?).

I adore my STi, as dedicated UCP readers know, but yearn for a more pure sportscar experience; and it doesn't get much more pure than a Europa.

Should 'Quail abandon a STi for a Europa? I've lusted after the Europa, which I think was one of Colin Chapman's roadgoing masterpieces, since I was 15, but the Lotus is also a deeply capable sportscar.

I know the decision is subjective, but I'm asking input from everyone, including the UCP world.

Advice?
    I'm erudite ;-)

If you have the cash-flow required to keep the car in the condition it deserves, go for it. As long as you're happy with cheap motoring for the daily grind (I quite enjoyed it, except for the lack of air-conditioning when I was trying to be presentable) then I see no down-sides. The main thing is how much it's going to cost to keep the Europa and making sure you can cover that. And get the paint in there, as long as it's a proper job.

It's going to be expensive and a bitch to maintain (or so I've heard) but if you enjoy working on your cars and coughing up $, go for it.

But it's kinda scary that you don't have a solid daily beater like a Corolla to rely on.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

10,000 euro for an immaculate Europa TC is a bargain...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    10,000 euro for an immaculate Europa TC is a bargain...
    Just another reason to go for the Lotus.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Simply put: do it.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Good advice, good advice. I've not slept on it yet, and no decision has yet been made, but those Europas are, simply put, among the most delectable little sportscars on the planet. Money being no object, I'd rather have one than a Ferrari 308 or Porsche 911.

There is a very short list of sportscars that would get me out of the STi. A good big valve Europa is one of them.

Anyone want to buy an '04 STi?
    I'm erudite ;-)

WHat condition is the engine in ?
    Frankly you coudl pay that over here for a good condition Lotus TC ENGINE

Remember it's NOT an STi
    The drivetrain is a little fragile for modern rubber and you can expect to be rebuilding the rears on a quarterly basis if original .... or get the various upgrades developed over the years based on the type 47.

Also can't contemplate using a Europa as a road car in warm climates. It was hot and claustrophopbic enough in "sunny" Scotland

Local lad Olly races the Europa in the Scottish CLassics series. Even with all the negatives, it's a great car to drive/own/lust afer/have sex in ( oops did I type that last bit out loud ? )
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Is there any way you can keep both the STI and the Elan?

Do it! Do it now!

Free parts and paint work - can't beat that!
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    Do it! Do it now!

Free parts and paint work - can't beat that!
    you almost make it sound like you are next in line for the purchase....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Is there any way you can keep both the STI and the Elan?
    Elan =/= Europa.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Elan =/= Europa.
    Whoops.

Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

You know the right choice

Do it
    Do it
    Do it
    Do it
    DO IT

Last edited by LotusLocost; 06-20-2008 at 02:23 PM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information