Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Congrats to Egg Nog - 100 reps

WHY's IT A BAD THING???

I find the rep system quite challenging, its like a challenge to get more rep than people in england for me, i try posting good stuff like the map......
    i think the rep system encourges people to post good stuff.....
    it tells junior members that the poeple with high rep that there opinions are gonna be good (people with higher rep!), the ones like matra and egg nog.
    I dont know why people dont like it, i think its a great way of gaining respect off other members who apprciate your veiws on cars.
    REMEMBER this is not a popularity contest! .....well thats my opinion.....

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    I hope you don't mind but i took the liberty of looking at your rep, and from what i have seen people are just annoyed that they give you rep and you seem to not care less about it.

I don't like the system, but i am appreciative of the people who hand rep out to me, maybe there feeling a little cheated that you don't care...........
    I don't really understand this though... the single comment was "you've got too goddamn many time to be knocked off the High horse that you don't care about."... I can't really understand that. With this mindset, shouldn't everyone who opposes the system have -10? And this is just detracting from free speech, which is one of the things that I feel the system works against.

I've never asked for rep or anything like that... with a very public opposition of the whole system, are people expecting that I send a million PMs around everytime I get a point? It can't be that I'm not contributing back... I regularly give rep to 20 users a day, at which point you can't do any more. These, of course, are for posts which I see to be good contributions, or appropriate comments. I can't even think of any regular posters here that I don't like! All of you are responsible and honourable.

With this point of view, I feel pretty isolated. Be honest, does everyone else love the reputation system? Am I the only one that finds that it detracts from what we're all here for?

I realise that I'm beginning to sound like a bit of an asshole by now. If you guys want, I'll shut up. But please, try to understand what I'm saying first.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    I don't really understand this though... the single comment was "you've got too goddamn many time to be knocked off the High horse that you don't care about."... I can't really understand that. With this mindset, shouldn't everyone who opposes the system have -10? And this is just detracting from free speech, which is one of the things that I feel the system works against.

I've never asked for rep or anything like that... with a very public opposition of the whole system, are people expecting that I send a million PMs around everytime I get a point? It can't be that I'm not contributing back... I regularly give rep to 20 users a day, at which point you can't do any more. These, of course, are for posts which I see to be good contributions, or appropriate comments. I can't even think of any regular posters here that I don't like! All of you are responsible and honourable.

With this point of view, I feel pretty isolated. Be honest, does everyone else love the reputation system? Am I the only one that finds that it detracts from what we're all here for?

I realise that I'm beginning to sound like a bit of an asshole by now. If you guys want, I'll shut up. But please, try to understand what I'm saying first.
    I actually thought AAAMOD was joking. I cant see why you should have points detracted for the reasons stated. I can see why those who detract them should. You are in a dilemma. You dont like the system but are pissed at losing points. I know the point you are making however. When I was leading I felt a little embarrased when it was brought to everyones attention as I didnt think I deserved to be above some of you guys. I basically feel, however it should be treated lightly. Have fun with it, use it to straighten up new members, congratulate good posts, but dont let it become too important. Hey, the system itself has led to some interesting posts on its own!
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

firstly i would like to congratulate both of u secondly i understand where egg nog is coming from because of freedom of speach, but if we incoporate the whole fredom of speach shouldn't we add we should treat all people as equal's? any way congrat's to both of u for reaching 100 rep points i would have a couple of drinks except im under age .

Just to clarify, I'm a huge supporter of admitting fault. I'm only angry at the lack of reasons for giving negative rep points. If I had everything my way...well, you already know

People People! Egg Nog really deserves this 100 rep points. Lets not get all over-mature here! Party Break it down wahoo!

Congratulations egg nog!!
    •·.·´¯`·.·• DarkPhenix •·.·´¯`·.·•
    •·.·´¯`·.·• Underground Sounds of Lisbon •·.·´¯`·.·•

clarification:

i was completely joking, and only gave the -1 cuz i thought Egg Nog wouldn't care, from what i understood of his opinions on the system.

i have no care for the system myself. i post in threads i find interesting, and i respond to posts i want to. any mature, intelligent person will know if they're appreciated or rejected in a forum, so i don't feel the system is needed.

i don't insist on it being removed though. i just don't bother paying any attention to it. it's not like a flashing light in your face. ignore it if you want.
    aka: Rob Clements, Ultimatecarpage North American Correspondent
    "big durango", formerly known as the "MEDIA MASTER", (title now belonging to Matt)

This thread has so far netted me a grand total of -3 rep points... did I do something wrong?
    Suggested it be withdrawn ?

Or maybe folks wanted you to enjoy getting 100 more often by peggin you down one, after all quality of posts means you'll be back up soon

or pulling your chain to see if you got upset about losing the rep points given your view on the rep system altogether.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    I was referring to Egg Nogs Comment on getting Neg Rep....

but nevermind, they both deserve to be at the top of the tree, Matra has had a meteoric rise, mind.
    hard effing work mate !!
    All those pics taken by my fair hand in freezing bloody weather ... and badges.
    Didn't grow on bloody trees you know
    It's all right for lfb666, he has lovely weather and lovely ladies.
    Did you SEE Miss Scotland in the Lotus 340R - woof, woof !!!!

Then there's my bolshy attitude on some topics.
    Think it comes easy being a smart-ass ????

Oh and hopefully my sense of humour

Get it ????????????????
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Seriously though, why would someone get -3 rep points without doing anything?
    I've put my conjecture forward on that already.
    Don't think there's a cospiracy against you egg-nogg.
    As you've said ( and I agree ) it's not that important. Interesting at best
    This whole situation is a perfect example of why the system is flawed. I remember back when the forums didn't have the system, where people could say what they felt like saying, and discussions were more open. It all just detracts everyone's attention away from cars, which is what we're all here to talk about anyway.
    Have to counter that egg-nog with the view that VERY few threads are discussing rep except where peole are saying well done AND adding a comment about adding rep.
    Also, when you consider how much of a ear-ding-dong we're having in politics and religion threads then I think the rep system is actually holding up wuite well.
    Nobody seems to have "spat the sdummy" and neg repping for the sake of it.
    Personally as a mod, if I see it - or it's brought to my attention - I've sent a friendsly PM reminding the person of the benefits in openness and not being overly negative.
    Does anyone else share a similar point of view, or at least see where I'm coming from?
    I can see where you're coming from.
    I guess I've done enough mediation and facilitaion in business to recognise the good and watch out for the bad and hopefully guide it and remind everyone it's NOT a race or a personal measure. Hell there are really nice folks here with very low rating because they don't say much. That doesn't make them any lessor value to UCP than the likes of you and me.

My Humble Opinion (tm)

u know what i find really funny ?!! the messages that appear when u stand with ur mouse's cursor over the green box besides the rep count !! easpecialy the new one for Eggnog and Matra as they passed the 100 point mark. It says "EggNog will become famous soon enough" !!

EDIT: i just discovered it isnt only EggNog and Matra that get this message. many others have it, including myself. i guess the system doesnt know that i am indeed already famous !!
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Misho
    u know what i find really funny ?!! the messages that appear when u stand with ur mouse's cursor over the green box besides the rep count !! easpecialy the new one for Eggnog and Matra as they passed the 100 point mark. It says "EggNog will become famous soon enough" !!
    This it was the green box says depending on your rep.:

-anyting to -10: ____ rep. could only hope to improve.
    -9 to -1: ____ has had a little shameliss behavor in the past.
    0-9: ________ is at an unknown quantity at this point.
    10 to 49: _______ is on a distinguished road.
    50-???: _______ will become famous soon enough.

Thread Information