Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silverstone Loses British Grand Prix

Silverstone Loses British Grand Prix

The BRDC and British motor racing fans were given something of a shock today as Bernie Ecclestone announced that Donington Park would be the new home of the British Grand Prix from 2010 onwards. It appears next year's race will be the final Silverstone Grand Prix as Bernie has finally followed through on his repeated threats to take the GP away from Silverstone unless they commit to improving the circuit facilities.

It will be a massive disappointment to Damon Hill and the rest of the BRDC, who have been fighting tooth and nail to secure the funding to improve the track facilities enough to ensure the future of the GP. Silverstone held its very first Grand Prix back in 1950, and it has been a near permanent fixture on the F1 calendar ever since. It has a rich history in the sport, and it will be sorely missed by many. Corners like Copse and the Maggots/Becketts complex are some of the fastest and most thrilling of any F1 circuit, and have been favourites with fans and drivers for many years.

Donington Park last held a Grand Prix back in 1993, when it played host to the rain affected European Grand Prix, won spectacularly by Ayrton Senna. It is a very good circuit, and has held many GT races and MotoGP events over recent years. The facilities aren't yet anywhere near the standard required of an F1 circuit, and I'm sure the BRDC would argue that currently they are way behind Silverstone in that respect. However, there are concrete plans in place for the redevelopment of Donington over the next year, which no doubt proved convincing enough for Bernie.

"Finally the uncertainty is over. A contract has been signed with Donington Park and the future of the British Grand prix is now secure," said Ecclestone.

"We wanted a world class venue for Formula One in Britain, something that the teams and British F1 fans could be proud of.

"The major development plans for Donington will give us exactly that. A venue that will put British motor sport back on the map.

"I am sorry that we could not have helped Silverstone to raise the money to carry out the circuit improvements and run Formula One.

"I believe that the government should have supported them which would have cost probably less than .002% of the government's commitment for the Olympic Games."
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

This is ridiculous. Donnington is in no way equipped to host a Grand Prix. Its facilities are definitely worse than Silverstone's.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Donnigton is about 15 - 20 minutes away from my house so I dont mind the change of venue as its more convenient. However at present there are still many issues for the circuit to overcome and consider if it is to be of F1 standard.

However as far aas i understand Donnigton was recently granted planning permission to redevelop the entire area around the track which will enable them to provide adequate pits and paddock facilites as well as the development of Grandstands around the circuit.

The main issue will be developing a local infrastrcuture to cope with the volumes of traffic associated with F1. The circuit currently struggles to manage renault race days let alone F1. And they do have the problem that they have restricted development as far as the roadways go as they are link with the airports system which has priority.

Now the deal is signed and the money can flow i believe donnigton can successful hold the British GP. The track is good enough for the Moto Gp and fro many of the teams to test. They have got planning permission in a mere 3 years for the majority of the track where as Silverstone has been trying for years with only a small recent success.

My only issue is that its located outside of "Motorsport valley" where as Silverstone is almost in the heart of it, Hopefulyl that wont be too much of an issue though.

Neither Donnington or Silverstone lend themselves well for a modern day F1 car with their flowing natures, but at least the GP is secure which should be of benefit to some people. For awhile with Bernie's threats, it seemed it would be Silverstone or no BGP at all, or at best rotation with the French GP.
    I am the Stig

I thought from Speed's broadcast of practice that Donington is going to get a Hermann Tilke make over?
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

THe big problem is Doni is a great touring car and especailly bike track.
    F1's will ripple all the braking areas and ruin it for other events.
    AND there is buggar all overtaking places for cars with the speed/bralking of an F1 car.
    It'll be a debacle of wheel banging and mediocre racing and give Ecclestone the ammunition he wants to removethe British GP completely so he can get more money into his pockets from "new" GPs willing to through millions thinking they are buying a long term F1 future
    DONINGTON TO HOST 2010 FORMULA ONE BRITISH GRAND PRIX
    Fri 4th Jul 08 - 11:43

The future of the British Grand Prix has today been secured in a new 10 year agreement between Donington Ventures Leisure Limited and Formula One Management Limited.

The 2010 F1™ British Grand Prix at Donington Park will see the pinnacle of motor racing return to the iconic East Midlands circuit after a 17-year absence when it last hosted the Grand Prix of Europe in 1993.

Circuit owners and joint CEO’s, Simon Gillett and Lee Gill made the following statement:

“We are naturally delighted and extremely proud to have acquired the rights to bring Formula One back to Donington Park from 2010. At the beginning of last year when we acquired the circuit and its substantial lands, we made clear our commitment towards realising the full potential of the Park by making the necessary investments in current and future events that will see Donington revitalised ensuring its leading position as one of the most iconic racing circuits in the world. To that end, we have now entered a new and exciting chapter in the development of the Park and one that will bring significant investment and regional development while securing the future of one of the most important and significant sporting events in Britain.

Donington Ventures Leisure Limited has worked closely with the local and national authorities in consideration of the planning requirements that are necessary to provide a first class facility for the hosting of F1 in 2010. The details of this and the Donington Park master plan that outlines a 5 year investment programme of some £100m, will be provided at a future date.

The investment will be led by a private investor who is also a large shareholder.

Today’s signing of the contract with Formula One Management Limited brings to an end a period of commercial negotiations, none of which would have been possible without the support of Mr Ecclestone and FOM. However, Donington Ventures are still engaged in negotiations with other important third parties that should be concluded in a matter of days. Only when this is done, will they release further information to the media.
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 07-04-2008 at 12:47 PM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Donington is definitely NOT a F1 circuit. It's a touring car and sportscar circuit.

Who will be paying the millions of pounds necessary to upgrade the circuit to F1 standards?

I seriously can't think of the British GP without Silverstone
    Last edited by Zytek_Fan; 07-04-2008 at 12:52 PM.

DVLL and one or more of the company founders from the above.
    These guys bought the circuit AND the Donington Museum from the Wheatcrofts last year.
    I hope we won't see the collection getting split up to fund someones ego wanting to "be like Bernie"
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

The Donington Collection is probably THE place to see F1 car in a museum setting, I went there in 2004 and thought it was quite impressive.....everything from Porsche's F1 car in the 60s to the 6 wheel Tyrell to a room full Williams and another room full of McLaren......simply awesome place to visit...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Donington is good for 3 things: Bikes, Touring Cars and Download Festival.
    "When I see an Alfa Romeo go by, I tip my hat." - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    F1's will ripple all the braking areas and ruin it for other events.
    The MotoGP teams won't be happy with that.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Here are the plans drawn up for the circuit redevelopment of Donington for 2010.

http://www.donington-park.co.uk/file...aster_plan.pdf

Looks half decent on paper. The turn 1 hairpin should be a good overtaking spot. And the dropping down the hill through that brand new left hander towards the turn 3 hairpin, and the climb back up the hill toward the old pit straight should be pretty good. On the downside, Coppice looks like it's been neutered a bit.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

that new layout looks good. i was a bit worried, since i really like the current layout.

the turn 3 hairpin looks fantastic. probably lots of great passing oportunities there, coppice, and the new turn 1. i still like silverstone for the gp better, but this new donnington looks good.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

It looks like they're doing to Donnington what was done to Lime Rock Park-simply adding more racetrack to provide an alternative layout for the F1 cars, and leaving most of the rest alone.

Agreed. That's not that bad at all. Hopefully they won't ruin it with miles of tarmac run-off.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Thread Information