Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: extreme camera climate advice

extreme climate camera advice

I'm back in Q8 on vacation, last year the Powershot S1 I had shut down because of some time I spent with it outdoors, it turned out the CMOS had failed because of the low humidity (from 3%-12% sometimes) and high temperatures (45c-52c) (113F - 122F). I didn't spend that long outdoors, no more than 30 mins, but anyway it failed and Canon replaced it with another (S5 iS).

The operation specs are pretty much like the old one:

0c-40c deg operation temp. limits (32F-104F)
    10%-90% operation humidity limits

So the old camera failed because it was 7 degrees Celsius (15 Fahrenheit) warmer, and some three to five percent lower humidity.

My question is, is there any way I can prolong this 30min period? Is there any way I can protect the camera while it is outside from lack of humidity and extreme egg-frying temperature? without putting it in a mobile refrigerated humidor?

I never place the thing in direct sunlight, and shield it as much as I can, but is there anything more I can do, short of dipping it in sunscreen and hoping for the best?

thanks.
    Last edited by aiasib; 07-06-2008 at 01:52 AM.

awwww, 39 views and no replies?

anyone? pls k thx?

all the rugged camera's i've tried looking at seem to deal ony with water and shock, nothing to do with heat.
    have you tried looking at camera stores in Kuwait ? they should be the experts at what works in their environment
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

Thanks, GtStreet I had a look at some stores here and online, the advice I got was 'put a white towel over it' to keep it cool, and not much else for low humidity environments, camera care sites dealt mostly with high humidity situations,

maybe I should PM Dary, I wonder if his Nikon D300 is climate-resistant or something; i remember him having a lot of outdoor shots

only suggestion I have else is going to DPreview for example and posting it on their forum

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

we go to Laguna Seca each year ("Dry lagune"). It is not extremely hot but very dry. So far we had no problems with any of the Canons, and I actually never heard of any from others as well.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Im not sure the conditions are the same, do you have statistics of what the weather is like there in terms of humidity and heat ?

plus and I dont think you want to see one of the crap up

i had never heard of it until i came across a notice on the canon website warning that some CMOSs will fail under extremely low humidity, and that they cover it under their warranty. i thought it strange until i realized my camera wasn't working because of that, i sent it in and they confirmed it.

thanks, will try that Dpreview site. thanks guys

@Gtstreet: these two months it ranges between 37-53c approx (100-125)
    humidity will range between 3% and upwards all the way to rain, although is not likely
    there is also some very dusty weather, but that i can manage.

Welcome to Q8

yeah it is very hot nowadays. i don't think there is such a thing to protect your cam from the heat. the best way to shot is by avoiding noon time, you can't even stand outdoors! u can shot from ur seat in the car, restaurants, coffee shops etc. if their having a good view.
    if u really want to shot in noon time outdoors, you can shot n run .
    anyway, sunrise time are my best time for shooting. if u are living in the same place (amwaj something) u can see the great view of the sea at sunrise

Edit: there is a Canon dealer at the city if u want to see what they have for this issue and u can ask them for advise too. i'll give u the address if u r interest.
    Last edited by Dary; 07-06-2008 at 02:37 PM.

Hehe, alright then, it is as I feared, thanks for the advice Dary, and all. and yes, I would like the address of that Canon Dealership very much, I just might pass by.

Thx

check ur PM inbox. i sent the address thingy.

Not shooting around noon is the best suggestion. Not just because of the heat, but the light for shooting during midday isn't favourable. It's too bright and harsh, often causing shots to end up washed out or overexposed.

Try shooting in morning light, or late afternoon and evening. There's a reason they call it the golden hour.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

@ zeppelin: I will try that, thanks, mussst...wake..up..before..noon....

@ Dary: Thank you so much for the directions! You're a savior, I will definitely try to go there sometime.

edit: </thread>, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin View Post
    There's a reason they call it the golden hour.
    I seriously read that as golden shower at first. Gave me a nice chuckle.

Oh well.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Thread Information