Thread: What car?

What car?

One of my family is looking at buying a new car we currently have a range rover sport s and are looking at the hse or hst version, the merc c class, and audi q7. We have to drive on rough roads due to horses but my dad often moans at th mpg. If you know of any good or bad things about these cars could you please reply.
    Thanks

i think the Q7's good, the seats are really comfortable, we et around 28mpg out of the 3.0TDI. It seems to pull quite well, better than the Rang Rover Sport diesel will, anyway, the suspension settings should be useful for them roads, where you can just put it in comfort/lift and it'll smooth it out for you (but ours is Dynamic, cos it looks better ). The interior is MUCH better than the Range Rover's as well.

The new C-Class is very highly rated, many magazines prefer it to the new 3series, so i don't think you can really go wrong with one of them, to be honest. Should be good with petrol as well, especially compared with the other two.

If your old man is complaining about economy perhaps he should look into LPG conversions?
    "When I see an Alfa Romeo go by, I tip my hat." - Henry Ford

If I were you I'd also keep the BMW X5 3.0d on my list. A lot of people like the Land Rover LR3* as a more practical alternative to the Range Rover Sport. Finally, I'm not sure what SUVs Toyota sells in the UK, but Toyota specializes in reliable cars with good MPG.

*I think they still call it the Discovery in the UK.
    Last edited by NicFromLA; 07-20-2008 at 01:29 PM.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Today: Volkswagen Passat R36 Estate + Land Rover Defender.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Yeah, it's the Discovery3

What about the forthcoming Audi Q5? Smaller, lighter, more economical. Looks like a Q7 but with the middle chopped out. The Mercedes ML320CDI, 350 & 500 are all really really nice, look great, well built interior and very very comfortable. Or perhaps even the new BMW X6, something a little more interesting, seen about 6 on the road so far, rather like them, not what you'd expect to see. My choice? VW Touareg R50 V10TDI

As for the C-Class, It's not an SUV :s and it's silly dashboard lets it down a little
    Last edited by Waugh-terfall; 07-21-2008 at 11:14 AM.
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

If you need to drive on rough roads, why are you considering an C class? ... just a thought.

I know it's not on your list, but I would recommend a Volvo XC90, or a VW Toureg (how ever it's spelt... lol). Both economical, practical, and tough. Cheaper than the Audi, and prettier too.

From what I know (and only that), the Range Rover Sport isn't really an offroad-oriented car. It's really a big performance car, and economy is definitely not in it's dictionary!

Thread Information